Afon Rhymney

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
Kayak-Bloke

Afon Rhymney

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:57 pm

I was up around Aber-Bargoed on the weekend and noticed the Rhymney flowing down through. Looks steep and potentially fun.
The Welsh Rivers mentions some fences and other stuff.
Anyone paddled it recently, is it worth it?

Cheers for any advice.

KB

Rhod

Re: Afon Rhymney

Post by Rhod » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I grew up in Caerffili - the description in the Welsh rivers always put me off from paddling it.

I did Bargoed-Caerffili at Christmas for the first time. Medium-low. It ran at a lovely grade 2/3. Cracking little grade 3- mini-gorge in there. Our consensus was that it would be worth putting on lower down than we did (or was that take out higher up - sorry I'm not sure I can remember!), to avoid flat. Either way we had a nice day out as it was.

We didn't make any portages that I can remember. It was a perfect confidence builder for a nervous paddler in our group. I would do it again.
Rhodri Anderson

Kayak-Bloke

Post by Kayak-Bloke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Hi Rhod,
Really useful reply. Thanks. If you guys do decide to run it again could I tag along!
Just need some rain!

Nige

Hywel

Post by Hywel » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Nige,

I ran it once but must be over 10 years ago. Even by then it had changed from the description given in Sladden's original edition of 'The Welsh Rivers'. I don't know whether the current edition reflects the current situation.

I enjoyed the run though one of my buddies who took an extended swim early on, down the walled section at the start, and through a stopper or two in a tunnel, wasn't so keen! I learned subsequently that Giardia (http://www.harrogate.gov.uk/Documents/c ... amblia.pdf is in the river and I heard of a few people who had become ill. It's a nasty infection and to me it never seemed worth risking it thereafter.

skinfx

Post by skinfx » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Earlier this year my friend and i who are both novice kayakers paddled a short section on the rhymney ,we got on under the bridge by the greyhound track in ystrad mynach and paddled to the end of the industrial estate,we have done this short stretch a number of times and it was a real good learning curve for us both. We only have one car between us so a ferry of any sort is out of the question so this stretch is ideal for us....

skinfx

Post by skinfx » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:39 pm

a great river to paddle,today we got on by the dance centre in ystrad mynach and paddled just down to cwm las estate in llanbradach.an exciting paddle and quite challenging as we are not the most experienced of paddlers.beware tho as you get towards the end of the industrial estate in ystard mynach there was a tree across the river,it was passable but caution needed.
we have paddled this section many times now and can highly recommend it.soon we hope to get in further up towards fleur de lys and again paddle to llanbradach.will let you know how that goes....