Llangollen Town Falls

Severn/ Rheidol catchment and north
k1orange

Llangollen Town Falls

Post by k1orange » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 pm

A question we have debated before...
How safe is town falls? We will have a wwr there in a few weeks and we would like to race over "the slab" but need to complete a risk assessment following talk about the slab moving, changing shape etc.
Anyone got any thoughts or comments?
Cheers

Tom_Laws

Re: Llangollen Town Falls

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Fine for competent paddlers in the correct equipment. Kayaking isn't safe but in this case the Benefit outweighs the Risk.

Nev Hallam

Post by Nev Hallam » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:11 pm

I will be attempting town falls sometime in the next couple of months, I heard and read about the wier, do you run it as part of the falls or you get before? Always looked to me you'd run it as didn't seem to be any get out before it.

AlexHolt

Post by AlexHolt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Nev Hallam wrote:I will be attempting town falls sometime in the next couple of months, I heard and read about the wier, do you run it as part of the falls or you get before? Always looked to me you'd run it as didn't seem to be any get out before it.
Once under the road bridge, head over to river left and there's a nice big tongue of water. Avoid running the actual weir downstream of the bridge, it's a bit sticky and rumour says there's metal rebar in it. Very easy to just go left and miss the whole thing. Get out just downstream of the weir on the left, into the car park

Nev Hallam

Post by Nev Hallam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks for the advise. Wouldn't want to swim through it then.