Ogwen - New Trees

Severn/ Rheidol catchment and north
NWWC Bala

Ogwen - New Trees

Post by NWWC Bala » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 am

There is a new river wide tree across the Ogwen. It is just after the metal footbridge from the town to the park or 100m or so after the river narrows and you start passing behind houses along the highstreet.

To scout or portage you can break out left above the metal footbridge (there are nice footpaths through the park).

The tree was passable with care in high water on Tuesday evening (cut in behind the large hole taking up the right hand half of the river and boof the trunk as far right as possible). This is unlikely to be possible at lower flows.

The tree has washed downstream from where it was on Monday and if it moves again will be in Bethesda Falls so scouting is advised.

RichW

Re: Ogwen - New Tree after metal footbridge to the park

Post by RichW » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

There's a sneaky tree about half way down Fisherman's gorge. Don't know how long it's been there but it's new to me. It's in the main flow, directly accross the river and roughly centre left. There's a sneak line on the left and you should be able to fairly easily pass it on the right if you see it in time. The position of the tree is such that it's really tough to spot it until you're pretty close.
Me on Flickr

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:09 pm

We paddled this the other day and there is a perfectly fine line down river right, but agree, you can't spot it until you have pretty much dropped in. You could paddle over it in highish flows. It's the "last" rapid next to the campsite.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 am

Carl Mitchell reports

Ogwen has some water but could tell the level as I was distracted by the massive tree that had come down. It's river right just after the first boulder weir at the A55 bridge. (Lower Ogwen) Pretty obvious.
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Rob Jones

Re: Ogwen - New Trees

Post by Rob Jones » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:19 am

Ran it yesterday at medium levels and it's quite clear now after the recent floods.
Even the left channel after halway bridge is clear.

RichW

Re: Ogwen - New Trees

Post by RichW » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

by RichW » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

There's a sneaky tree about half way down Fisherman's gorge. Don't know how long it's been there but it's new to me. It's in the main flow, directly accross the river and roughly centre left. There's a sneak line on the left and you should be able to fairly easily pass it on the right if you see it in time. The position of the tree is such that it's really tough to spot it until you're pretty close.
This tree seems to have well and truly gone now. Hooray. Mitch's A55 tree is still there on the lower. It's a big'un!
Me on Flickr