River Wnion - Bridge off A494 to Bont Newydd

Severn/ Rheidol catchment and north
Mark R

River Wnion - Bridge off A494 to Bont Newydd

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:49 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

ijd201

Re: RIVER WNION (Bridge off A494 to Bont Newydd)

Post by ijd201 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:03 pm

see lost and found section! if you find any kit on the river!

cheers.

Joseph:)

Re: River Wnion - Bridge off A494 to Bont Newydd

Post by Joseph:) » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Currently a river wide tree in the first gorge section, no easy way to portage from the eddies above so be careful, we just managed to sneak under at around 2 on the gauge but higher than this and it could get dodgy.

Joe

PMB

Post by PMB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Ran this today. Beware that there's a large tree down at the bottom of the gorge under the road bridge which doesn't look like its going anywhere anytime soon. Can be paddled under in medium flows. A good, little blast.
Phil B

Andee B

Post by Andee B » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Tree, half way down the Gorge - River Right.
Photo shows a level of 2.4.

PMB

Post by PMB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:58 pm

Per my post in January, there's still a large tree across the gorge at the bottom which can be manoeuvered around at medium flows. A couple of other trees to watch out for in the gorge, but nothing you can't paddle around on sight if you're cautious.

Also, the local angling club seems to have put up a 'No canoeing' sign by the bridge at the get-on. Not sure if this is new, but I saw some other boaters being told they couldn't paddle by locals who looked as if they might have been fishermen.
Phil B

Joshprosh

Post by Joshprosh » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Wnion Report.
Just wanted to share a few things about the river near Dolgellau after paddling it this afternoon.
Access is an issue with this river and today a gent claiming to be the land owner, driving a Mitsubishi Shogun, approached me and told me I couldn't paddle, he threatened that if I did, my car would be vandalized. I parked elsewhere.
Also, I am aware that many know there is a van in the river and at present it is posing no real risk, just chillin in an eddy at the end of the gorge section. However, immediately after it is a rapid with a river wide tree blocking passage. This could prove dangerous in higher water (I paddled it in low flow). Portage was a tricky scramble up the right bank.
Please feel free to share this information or advise where else it may prove useful.
Many thanks and happy paddling.

Altech

Post by Altech » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Wnion Tree.
11/12/15

Just to let everyone know about a new tree on the Wnion that Aber Uni Canoe Club came across today. Just after the end of the first gorge proper, there is a large tree across most of the river coming in from river left. Its clearly visible in the river on a straight section. It can be sneaked with caution at medium flows (1.9) and above on hard river right, portaging around it would be awkward however. Finally its a tree which will need to be cut out for the problem to be solved, as its an entire tree in the river which isn't going anywhere, so I expect this will remain an issue for some time.

Mainline

Post by Mainline » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:02 am

Paddled on 12 December on 2.6m, absolutely pumping! Tree was not easy to spot, only just made the last eddy above it on river left! It can be passed on far river right but you would not want to screw-up!