AFON ALWEN

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

JohnO

Re: AFON ALWEN

Post by JohnO » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Paddled 04/12/11

Put In sh976455 which has parking for 3-4 cars and is more discrete than Betws Gwerfil, but the road to it is very narrow.

Get Out SJ050435 there is good parking here on the old A5.

Water Level Live Gauge Reading It was 0.7m and rising on the day. It was a bit of a scrap at times but mostly ok, I would not recommend doing it below this level.

Hazards A couple of trees down, but ok at this level, one maybe more of a problem at higher levels, Barbed wire across the river, but that may have gone now ;)

Access No problem, didn't see anyone all day.

Thorley0184

Post by Thorley0184 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Got on on Sunday including thew top section which as you can expect is full of trees.

Three were walk rounds the rest sneekable, would be a nice section with out the trees. Also one collapsed footbridge impassable.

Most of the trees are easy to spot except for one on a sharp right bend, its just out of sight from the top eddy, round the bend so who ever is scouting is committed to a steep climb out! Portage on river right. It is just above the bridge at Cefn-ceirch SH018468.

Bottom section couple of sneekable trees.

Simon.T

Post by Simon.T » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:41 pm

The weir at the end of the section now has a hydroelectric Archimedes Screw on the far right. There is a grill protecting it from large debris/kayakers and could be quite a sieve in high water. On mid it seemed OK.
There is also a new channel\slide just to the left of the screw.

As a lot of the water is now being funneled down the new channel\slide and through the screw the weir's characteristics have changed. Still nasty on the mid-left on the second drop but I ran the first drop on the right which I didn't fancy the look of last year.

After running it a hydro electric bloke in orange hi vis spoke to me telling me it was a silly idea to run it as there is a "60 foot cavern" on the right hand side just below the first drop. I couldn't see any evidence of this but did notice he waited for me to run it before mentioning it.

Also the bridge just above the weir I used to use as a warning of the upcoming weir is...............missing............

jaq

Post by jaq » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

Encountered two barbed wire fences across the river in October 2017 that needed portaging.