Campsite recommendations within striking distance of Llangollen Cana

Severn/ Rheidol catchment and north
Undermanager

Campsite recommendations within striking distance of Llangollen Cana

Post by Undermanager »

Hi all

A few of us are considering kayaking the Llangollen Canal for a few days after a week camping and kayaking at Llyn Trawsfynydd. Can anyone recommend or suggest a convenient campsite or two along the canal, please? I'm probably dreaming but somewhere half way and within walking distance with the kayaks would be ideal :-)

Cheers

Chris Bolton

Re: Campsite recommendations within striking distance of Llangollen Cana

Post by Chris Bolton »

We identified some for a trip that actually went somewhere else, so I haven't actually stayed at these. They appear to be mainly aimed at caravans so you'd need to check that they are taking tents. Also I think they are adults only. If you do use them, please post back about how they were:

Hampton Bank Farm near Welshampton

Grindley Brook Wharf near Whitchurch

If you're planning to do the Chirk tunnels, take bright LED torches and fix them to the boat pointing forwards and slightly up. Headtorches are OK to see where you're going but no use to warn narrowboats at the other end that the tunnel is in use.

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

if you drop down onto the montgomery canal at lower frankton locks you will come to a basin and public carpark in a couple of hundred yards and wild camping is ok on the adjacent ground. It is also possible to acquire a key to the mobile loo from canal rivers trust i think.
on a separate note you will find one low level raise/lower bridge at froncysyllte and about 3 more closer to whitchurch. if there are more than 1 or 2 boats in your party it might be easier to acquire a bridge key than to portage round them.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

it might be easier to acquire a bridge key than to portage round them.
Good point. We put in at Wrenbury and choose to launch on the right side of the road bridge so we wouldn't need to open it (it's motorised and needs a key) but there's a farm bridge about a mile further on that hand operated and needs a winding handle as used for lock paddles, which we didn't have so had to portage. I now carry a temporarily converted adjustable spanner to use as a handle.

Undermanager

Post by Undermanager »

Thanks. We should be there at the start of next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Return to “Wales - North”