RIVER THAMES - Centre of London "sightpaddling"

Hampshire Avon drainage and eastwards, with the Nene as the northern limit
AeonH20

RIVER THAMES - Centre of London "sightpaddling"

Post by AeonH20 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:27 am

Hello,

after a fantastic run through Venice I would like to continue some city kayaking in London in March, paddling into the canals and the very centre of the city.

Questions are,

-where would be good places to park the car to be able to take advantage of the tide (I'm using my creeker, so I am a bit slower, and don't want to pay the car fee for every day in London)
-is there anything I have to know to paddle this particular city?

EZ

Re: RIVER THAMES - Centre of London "sightpaddling"

Post by EZ » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:30 am

There are several places to paddle if you have some reasonable experience and know what you are doing. London is a busy city and discretion is advised.

You are probably best looking at Regents canal, the river lea and the non tidal parts of the Thames if you are on your own and can't do a shuttle.

The areas I have knowledge of are:

Regents canal
This is probably what you are thinking off and would be a good place to start with a flat water paddle. Get a map and work it out as you go. Some great little pubs hidden around there. If you can find somewhere free to park there then good luck but don't hold your breath.

The Thames
- Can be divided into two parts, above and below Putney bridge. Above Putney bridge is fairly benign, lots of places to put on, but it is London so expect to pay. Below Putney bridge is classed as Tidal and is normally paddled in sea kayaks. Read the published guidance as this is a busy stretch of river and there are rules, strong currents and fines!

Some more guidance here with lots of useful links to read;
http://www.boatingonthethames.co.uk/Paddling

Tide times here:
http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Tide-Tables

The river Wandle
Urban kayaking in every sense of the word, grade 2/3 with some weirs and low pipes to negotiate. If your on your own take a head torch for the tunnel. Get on at Colliers wood, paddle down to the Thames at Putney. Need to be creative with the shuttle if solo.

The river lea
Park at Lea Valley park and go exploring. Flat water. Probably the easiest logistics regarding parking.