East Lyn Levels

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
woodsy

Re: East Lyn Levels

Post by woodsy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:26 pm

Could anyonbe advise if the river would be viable this wednesday?
thanks
Woodsy

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Levels are currently low, yet with the current snow, plus more rain due Tuesday night, Wednesday should be ok paddling.

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Please note a message from the National Trust about tree hazards on the Lyn:
....there are significant numbers of trees across the Lyn between Myrtleberry and Lyn rock and our team will be clearing them in the next few days. This is really important as there will be winch cables across the river on occasions during this work which will be a significant hazard to any paddlers.

This is likely to mean the river left portage route will be blocked with machinery etc.
Pete Thorn

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 am

A further update as follows, from the Area Warden:

'I can't see all of the trees being removed from the river as water levels are quite high at present. I am concentrating on opening definitive rights of way first and then the river. I will contact Jerry today to see if the EA can help as some of these trees are beyond our capabilities to be frank.'

I will get up to have a look before the weekend and give some detail on here.
Pete Thorn

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:59 am

Hi Pete - do you think the gorge will be in a paddlable state for the weekend? Plus is there any more trees down on the Brendon section? i was hoping to head down Sat morning early.

J
White water "rider"

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:12 pm

I am going to do a recce on Friday, but won't be able to run the whole river. Will post later on Friday with what I know. With care, the river should be OK. Look before you boof.
Pete Thorn

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:27 pm

Any news on levels?

I know the plan is to have the web cam at Watersmeet, but we always gauge the level by what we see when we arrive in Lymnouth and look at the island, whilst we get changed, ready for a quick get away at the put in. I guess the assumption is that everyone puts on at Watersmeet? For now, it's hard to really gauge levels, but as a rough rule of thumb, I figure that....

Low= paddling river right of the island isn't an option and it's a bit of a boat scrape ball ache through town down to the sea.
Low medium= you can just about paddle river right or left, but you'll be scraping over a few rocks here and there.
Medium= Um...somewhere between low and high.
High Medium= you can paddle through town down to the sea without hitting any rocks at all. Great. You can still break out here and there in the Gorge, but it's starting to pick up.
High= the island is starting to submerge- breaking out in the gorge is starting to become difficult and most will portage

...which is still a bit woolly- anyone out there got any better ideas?

Driving down from the Thames Valley is a bit of an effort (I'm ideally looking for a good 'high/ full medium', but maybe I'm just getting fussy) so accurate updates are very, very helpful, thanks.

I don't know what 'peachy' means, but whatever it is, it sounds enjoyable!

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:05 am

What was it like Chris? Are the trees still a problem?
Martin

Chris W

Post by Chris W » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Dunno- didn't go! I didn't know what level the Lyn was at but I knew what the level the Thames was at- super high. Plenty of play boating to be had here. The run off rate is ever so slightly longer here, with 3 gates or more gauranteed for at least a month now, even if we have a 'drought'.

Chris.
Chris Wheeler

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 am

HI - any news on the E Lynn level - worth a look on Sat??
White water "rider"

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

It was lowish but not too bony on Wednesday. There is still some meltwater coming down, but it will be about on minimum on Saturday.
Pete Thorn

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:32 am

Was low but just about runable yesterday. No trees that couldn't be avoided at that level. I think that might be about it for the season, it doesn't look like rain this week, and yesterday's flow was about as low as you'd want to bother with.
Martin

ken_nic

Post by ken_nic » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Is the 4mm of rain forecast going to be enough to bring the levels up a bit on Sunday? I know it doesn't need to be very high to run the gorge.

Ta
Nick

storm

Post by storm » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Level very low today and not worth paddleing,will definatley need more than 4mm.
Steve

ken_nic

Post by ken_nic » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Hmm, that's a shame. Its been quite a while since I did the gorge in low levels I cant remember if it was worth it. To much wind for surfing either.. bummer.

Nick

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Any one now what the levels are? Had a few mm of rain the last few days.

mharrall

Post by mharrall » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:37 pm

It'll take more than a few mm, forget it.
Martin

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:41 am

Anyone know what the Lyn is like at the moment?
Ben

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 am

Weatheronline only shows 3-4mm prior to 7am around Exmoor, whereas Dartcom shows 11mm between 3 & 9am.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:19 pm

10mm of rain at Liscombe in the last 6 hours...

Anyone heading down to Exmoor from the Bristol area? :D
Ben

meatballs

Post by meatballs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:07 pm

meatballs wrote:Anyone know what the Lyn is like at the moment?
Not high enough to bother is the answer.
Ben

storm

Post by storm » Fri May 01, 2009 10:01 pm

No water on exmoor at present sorry good surf thou.
Steve

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun May 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Pete Thorn (East Lyn access advisor) posted this on river thread - sounds potentially very positive, so can we as paddlers prove we are trust-worthy:
Please note the following statement. It's a mixture of news, mainly good, but has an important issue to be resolved. Andy Green and I are meeting National Trust officers on 3 June. NT officers are being very supportive of canoeing but are experiencing a lot of local challenges. We need to keep their support by respecting their current requests.

‘Canoe Access on the East Lyn River:
Negotiations with the National Trust have resulted in the likelihood of year round paddling on the East Lyn. This steep and difficult river is one of the best hard white water rivers in England, so attracts relatively small numbers of experienced and skilled paddlers. Up to now, an agreement with the NT and two other riparian owners has resulted in winter paddling from 1 October to the end of February.
During the last two exceptionally wet summers, a few paddlers descended the river, taking care not to disturb any anglers. There were no complaints and the NT has very reasonably agreed in principle to agree to summer paddling, subject to a minimum level. This is being fixed and will be available online through a recently installed webcam.
This development is being viewed as an ‘arrangement’ rather than an agreement, as an agreement with the BCU cannot represent all paddlers.
However, this development has not been without its critics and concern has been expressed about possible environmental impact.
To that end, Natural England is being requested by conservation interests to carry out an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). It will look more widely at recreational activity impact in a Special Area of Conservation. Until this issue is satisfactorily resolved, the National Trust takes the view there can be no canoeing on the East Lyn. Being the summer, with little likelihood of river levels being high enough, there is no immediate impact on canoeing. Further information will follow when the EIA has been completed.’

Pete Thorn
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Is there any water in the Lyn at the moment? was hoping to get down there this weekend but weatheronline didn't recoerd much. Could any locals let us know what the levels have been doing.
Has the tree been cleared out of the double drop on the Brendon section?

The Barron

Post by The Barron » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Walked from Watersmeet to the gorge, it looked high! [fri 17/07/09]

I've not paddled the river before so my thoughts are probably of little use to absolutely useless, and I didn't go into the town and look at the island which seems to be where you jugde the level from. Breaking out in the gorge would have been interesting, and the hydraulics looked very meaty. There was a small tree in the gorge, but that looked like a recent addition. The Hoaroak tributary looked high too, and the last falls before the confluence could only be described as thunderous!

I've wanted to paddle this river for a while now. If anyone is making a trip this way it's not far from me... if you wouldn't mind me tagging along.

M.A.Blackmore@warwick.ac.uk

I'll be having another look in the next week or so, I'll try to be more informative next time.

Cheers

Matt.

Ray Latham

Post by Ray Latham » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Sophie King wrote:Is there any water in the Lyn at the moment? was hoping to get down there this weekend but weatheronline didn't recoerd much. Could any locals let us know what the levels have been doing.
Has the tree been cleared out of the double drop on the Brendon section?

Sophie you are back, I have missed you so much ;o)

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Sorry Ray don't think I know you?............I don't paddle with anyone called Ray.

Sophie King

Post by Sophie King » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 pm

The Barron wrote:Walked from Watersmeet to the gorge, it looked high! [fri 17/07/09]

I've not paddled the river before so my thoughts are probably of little use to absolutely useless, and I didn't go into the town and look at the island which seems to be where you jugde the level from. Breaking out in the gorge would have been interesting, and the hydraulics looked very meaty. There was a small tree in the gorge, but that looked like a recent addition. The Hoaroak tributary looked high too, and the last falls before the confluence could only be described as thunderous!

I've wanted to paddle this river for a while now. If anyone is making a trip this way it's not far from me... if you wouldn't mind me tagging along.

M.A.Blackmore@warwick.ac.uk

I'll be having another look in the next week or so, I'll try to be more informative next time.

Cheers

Matt.

I was working on friday so couldn't make it down, was it still on yesterday? gutted we missed the good flows!

storm

Post by storm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Sophie sorry for not givein update off its face friday low sat morn top half tree infested also plenty of fisher folk mostly quite friendly but one very rude and aggressive .Lost set of paddles watersticks i think.Very low today.
Steve.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Any one know the levels 2day?