Re: East Lyn Levels

Post by storm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Very Low today not worth paddleing.
Steve

Ollieswims!

Post by Ollieswims! » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Worth paddling on sunday?
Will we still float the majority of the way down?

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

No. Storm lives close by & already gave you answer on other thread. Most rivers are below summer average flows.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Ollieswims!

Post by Ollieswims! » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:14 pm

Ok, Sorry i forgot i don't remember asking on another thread but i'll take you're word for it. Thanks.

Ollie.

justin-g

Post by justin-g » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:00 am

Ollieswims! wrote:East lyn.
Grade 4-5.
It may even be too low now.
storm wrote:East stupidly low dont bother.
Steve
White water "rider"

Ollieswims!

Post by Ollieswims! » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:53 pm

Okokokok, point taken don't need to emphasise it! But there has been some rain and you never know.
I only guessed that it may be too low any way, And i did not look at storms post, Im like that. Bad habits.
So, im sincerely apologetic.
The reason i posted twice, is because i wanted to find out from someone who had been there and had a look, as there is a club trip there this Sunday and it would be my first east lyn run. I just didn't look hard enough it would appear. I don't know how the lyn works as i havent paddled it. And my real question was to people who know it well and would be able to answer my question of- Would we be able to float the majority of the way down?
Again sorry.

storm

Post by storm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Ollie were going to need some consistent heavy rain to get things going again mate,definatly nothing in river at moment.
Steve

Ollieswims!

Post by Ollieswims! » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Ok thanks storm, We will have to reschedule the safety trip then. I suspect nothing else is going!

Cheers,
Ollie

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 am

At the moment the river is extremely low, 12cm into the red. Some folk persist in turning up to slide down bare rock on the bottom Hoaroke falls. Others were in the gorge on Sunday. This is insane as you split your boats and cause local anger about environmental damage. And there was stellar surf at the weekend. Poor choice of toys boys.
Pete Thorn

morsey

TREE!

Post by morsey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Tree branch is stuck in the second rapid in the gorge (the squeezey right hand boulder slot, mega left hand boof in high flows). It's long and not so thick, but runs diagonally through the slot. In higher water may not be visible!

Paddled the East Lyn today. It appeared into the Red on the webcam first thing (although hard to tell really!). Not sure what the actual reading on the gauge was, the historic webcam frames don't seem to be available (If this is available was on around lunchtime), and I didn't bother to look under the bridge as we could see there were channels down the river. But I grabbed the screen shot of EA Brendon gauge (below). Anyhow you could float from Watersmeet to Lynmouth 100% without any threat of damage to any gravel sections or to rock lichen/moss. Didn't snap any boats, there were channels through all sections, a few scrapes here and there, but no grinding to a halt. Absolutely nothing that would warrant any level of ecological concern.

Sun came out, chatted with loads of people, enjoyed the river, got changed in the sun, had pasties in the cafe at the get out car park. And we salvaged some pieces of rubbish from the river, because we are nice like that. :-)

My opinion remains, as stated previously, that the webcam is not calibrated to give an accurate Float/No Float reflection of water level.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 am

How long does it take for levels to start rising with rain on Exmoor anyone? A few of us may be taking day off tomorrow and its due to rain tomorrow morning steadily. Done it last Sunday at about 1.7 and that was enough for our 1st trip.
Mark

hardy

Post by hardy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Main drop crux 1 : Be very careful , and scout this thoroughly . I and two others have been vertically pinned by missing the main line , and being pushed into the right hand slot . It seems something may have changed after a recent deluge , with more water pushing right , and within 3 days 3 people got pinned there. Safety should be put here , on the rock between the main line and the slot if possible . I was lucky with a great team who got me out quick , however i was wedged right in there , my deck under a rock which also squashed my ribs . It is extremely dangerous , i was lucky , so be safe .

pete thorn

Post by pete thorn » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm

I can endorse Hardy's warning. We had someone get a backwards pin there after losing it above the main drop. Definitely needs bank safety. If you can't be sure of making the main drop then expect trouble. Highly dangerous for a swimmer.
It might be worth looking at low water and seeing if some extra boulders dropped in will block off this siphon.
Pete Thorn

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm

The take out eddy above the main drop on the Brendon section has a huge tree across it which is unlikely to shift anytime soon, making what was an easy breakout into a grab whatever moment (& do it early)...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Tree still there a few days ago - seems to channel the water off the lip in a more focused way, creating a huge boily hole in high water...

Enjoy.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:20 pm