RIVER WEST OKEMENT (Meldon Reservoir to Okehampton)

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

RIVER WEST OKEMENT (Meldon Reservoir to Okehampton)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:10 pm

Hedgepig

Re: RIVER WEST OKEMENT (Meldon Reservoir to Okehampton)

Post by Hedgepig » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:04 pm

A group of us ran this at the weekend. It was a remarkably pleasant tree lined ditch. We had to portage three trees just below the bizarre railway bridge all reasonably obvious from above. When we checked the level on the way up the river was across the footpath behind the Castle car park and when we got off it was no longer covering it. The level seemed fine but I wouldn't have wanted to do it with much less water. The barbed wire mentioned in the guide is still there but was just under the water at the levels we paddled it making it hard to spot and the first of drop of the grade IV is easier than it looks. I've stuck some of the photos of the run up here.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 pm

Cheers for that update - I haven't actually been back and paddled this since I wrote the guide some years back.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Joel.Perkin

Post by Joel.Perkin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:17 pm

A load of trees have come down and are blocking the river just below the put in. Really dense strainer. Not the season yet (or level) but be prepared for a longer walk.
============

Joel

joel.perkin@googlemail.com

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:59 pm

Joel.Perkin wrote:A load of trees have come down and are blocking the river just below the put in. Really dense strainer. Not the season yet (or level) but be prepared for a longer walk.
Its been like that for a couple of years now, we now park at the layby on the A30, carry boats 200m upstream and do circuts of the best bit. Which was tree free.

Rich P

Post by Rich P » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:02 pm

Paddled this on Saturday, we had three tree portages in total, two above A30 and one below but they didn't really detract from the river. Would definitely recommend going down the Okement to Brightly to make a decent day out at the grade.