River Walkham - Bedford bridge to Tavy Confluence

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Tim C

Re: RIVER WALKHAM (Bedford bridge to Tavy Confluence)

Post by Tim C » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody had an idea on weather the Lower Walkham would be worth a run tomorrow?

Thanks

Tim

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Levels were good yesterday, when we were walking along the Walkham, but have dropped since. Tavy webcam showed peak at 50cm at 10am yesterday, only 25cm at 5pm today so probably a bit scrapey. Not sure what weather is doing as we're back home in Sussex now!

Janet

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Mark,

We paddled the lower Walkham on Sat 29 Jan 2010 and had a great paddle, one of my car tyres was slashed while parked at Bedford Bridge though,

egards

Martin Croucher

kateedhouse

Whats a good way to gauge the Walkham?

Post by kateedhouse » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:54 am

Whats a good low and a good medium level on the walkham, for instance using the slab at Newbridge as a gauge? On the slab and the walkham runs?
Or how much rain would you need to make it work? Thankyou :)

jmmoxon

Re: Whats a good way to gauge the Walkham?

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 am

Best bet is to use the webcam on Tavy http://www.farsondigital.net/tavy/live.php

Walkham normally gets rain well before the Dart, so it's not a great indicator, but if it looks low over the weir on webcam, the Walkham probably is too.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Dicko

Re: Whats a good way to gauge the Walkham?

Post by Dicko » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:47 am

Yo Gal,

Facebooked Ya!

Check it out!

eEzy Now!

Rich

Hedgepig

Post by Hedgepig » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:21 pm

There is a second tree down about 100 m or so on from the first. At todays levels (low) there was no way of paddling under it so I am guessing at good levels it will also be a definite portage. By the look of the ivy on it the tree it has come down very recently.

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:51 am

There is also a second tree not stacked up on the first.

The other tree is just on the bend where the water merdges back round the island.

I would say its impassable at all levels. A fair ammount of branches facing down in to the water, and alot above. Also looks like its gonna be a while before it moves.
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

Ross W

Post by Ross W » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

Also, if you compare the two images that I've put up, It would seem that the tree going across the river has rode up the bank, which allows you to sneak under far left. Although this could drop back down any time soon
Dartmoor / Plymouth based
www.rosswildman.co.uk

Westy

Post by Westy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:27 am

Paddled the Lower Walkham on Saturday at a low level. You can sneak under the first tree river left, the second tree is a portage.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:49 pm

Just walked the dog along the Lower Walkham and there is a tree wedged across the top of the exit to Slot and Drop. No problem in low water but it might be a limbo in higher levels.

Allenkayak

Post by Allenkayak » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Paddled the Walkham today, bit low really. But there is a tree across the river about 100 meters upstream of the slot. At low level it's quite clear but with the river a bit higher the centre part could be submerged.

pb05

Post by pb05 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Anyone Have any idea of what the level will be on sunday? Any any new trees or what ever?

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:51 pm

pb05 wrote:Anyone Have any idea of what the level will be on sunday? Any any new trees or what ever?
unless there is loads of rain today and saturday, probably quite low. not much water in devon at the moment and todays rain doesnt seem to be materialising.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Just walked the dog along the banks of the walkham. Nice level but a new tree down across the river.

It's about 400yds above the slot at the very end of one of the long, continous rapids. Easy to spot and portage but might cause you some grief if you've got a swimmer.

superman

Post by superman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 pm

Thinking of doing this section witha group on Sunday. Interested in any update on tree water situation at the end of the week.
Are the two trees still there?
Thanks for any info.
D

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm

They were as of last Sunday, plus a new tree on the right at the Tavy weir. We ran off the bedrock just to the right of the fish ladder. We also used Denholm Woods carpark on the right, it's Forestry Commission spot at the top of the hill river right. This avoids dealing with the Denholm Bridge Troll, and adds 800-1000m to the trip below the bridge

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Simon Westgarth wrote: We also used Denholm Woods carpark on the right, it's Forestry Commission spot at the top of the hill river right. This avoids dealing with the Denholm Bridge Troll, and adds 800-1000m to the trip below the bridge
Yep this is much easier - but - do not rely on someone else knowing where this get out is !! - its not obvious from the river but easily checked out when you run the shuttle, otherwise its a trek at the end to find the car park.

superman

Post by superman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:14 pm

Excellent info guyz. I shall attempt to find said car park. I have not had the pleasure of meeting the aforesaidmentioned Troll. Is it the same one who was imortalised in your pic with a stick, Simon. If so, sounds a most entertaining gentleman though I must confess, I would not wish social discourse with the gentleman in question, as it may delay our attendance at The Dartmoor Diner or other such gastronomic establishment in the vicinity.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm

Chas C wrote:
Simon Westgarth wrote: We also used Denholm Woods carpark on the right, it's Forestry Commission spot at the top of the hill river right. This avoids dealing with the Denholm Bridge Troll, and adds 800-1000m to the trip below the bridge
Yep this is much easier - but - do not rely on someone else knowing where this get out is !! - its not obvious from the river but easily checked out when you run the shuttle, otherwise its a trek at the end to find the car park.
You can see the cars from the river.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Just paddled walkham/tavy at a really nice level. Tree above slot&drop is gone although the one just after the get in is still there and was a definate portage today.

bubbles_jonnybravo

Post by bubbles_jonnybravo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Has anyone got a rough idea of what a good level on the gauge is for the walkham and where the best get in is???

Thanks.
John

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:39 pm

bubbles_jonnybravo wrote:Has anyone got a rough idea of what a good level on the gauge is for the walkham and where the best get in is???

Thanks.
John
Saturday was about 40cm on the horrabridge gauge. That was a nice level with the odd bump and scrape where it widens out. Easiest get in is Bedford bridge, big free car park 50yds from the river.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Today we cleared both trees out of the Slot and its run out rapid, all good, and a prefect level today.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Simon Westgarth wrote: You can see the cars from the river.
Yes I could see that might be possible if you park on the river side of the car park (but we didn't).

and thanks for shifting the tree's :-)

hardy

Post by hardy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Our club did the Walkham Saturday 19th Feb'.The big old tree is still 300m downstream of the put in,otherwise fine.However,as we approached the big wier on the Tavy a lady asked us not to play on the more friendly little wier,the one next to the wonderful big house river left overlooking it.The reason stated was that they are excercising some young horses and kayaks could spook them.As my family are heavily into horses i can well understand her concern,and we did take care and quietly passed by.In reluctantly passing the information to the group,i was left wondering if i was doing the right thing,as the house is in close proximity to "old grumpy guts",and i began to contemplate the nieghbours maybe getting together in some kind of alliance against kayaking.The lady in question said she sometimes did canoeing,and understood why we were there,she was friendly and asked very nicely.There was indeed a horse,rider and leader in an arena ,beyond a small paddock that borders the river right bank,opposite the house.

It may have been a one off event,it may happen again.Just thought i would make a note of it incase anything gets thrown up in the future.I think we could,and should,have stayed a while,as there was some distance and tree cover,as long as we remained fairly quiet.The animal seemed ok to me,but i know sometimes it doesn't take much.For thier part the rider should be skilled to a suitably profficient level,and weekends will inevitably see paddlers there.
See how it goes.

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

hardy wrote:Our club did the Walkham Saturday 19th Feb'.The big old tree is still 300m downstream of the put in,otherwise fine.However,as we approached the big wier on the Tavy a lady asked us not to play on the more friendly little wier,the one next to the wonderful big house river left overlooking it.The reason stated was that they are excercising some young horses and kayaks could spook them.As my family are heavily into horses I can well understand her concern,and we did take care and quietly passed by.In reluctantly passing the information to the group,I was left wondering if I was doing the right thing,as the house is in close proximity to "old grumpy guts",and I began to contemplate the nieghbours maybe getting together in some kind of alliance against kayaking.The lady in question said she sometimes did canoeing,and understood why we were there,she was friendly and asked very nicely.There was indeed a horse,rider and leader in an arena ,beyond a small paddock that borders the river right bank,opposite the house.

It may have been a one off event,it may happen again.Just thought I would make a note of it incase anything gets thrown up in the future.I think we could,and should,have stayed a while,as there was some distance and tree cover,as long as we remained fairly quiet.The animal seemed ok to me,but I know sometimes it doesn't take much.For thier part the rider should be skilled to a suitably profficient level,and weekends will inevitably see paddlers there.
See how it goes.
Happened before: see Tavy guide Tavistock to Denham Bridge March 8th 2009:
daydoe wrote:We encountered one more problem on the paddle at the measuring weir we were asked not to surf it by a lady running horse riding lessons a few fields away, she was mostly polite but see it as getting rid of paddlers as they are a nuisance to her school.
Why site your training arena next to the river that you presumably know is frequented by kayakers? I am also an ex-horse owner, and would have taken care where I rode my animal (who was far worse-behaved in his field than out on bridleways). Wonder if she has local authority approval to run riding lessons!

Janet

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:37 pm

I was there earlier that day in a group of two and encountered no such problems.

I think your group was getting on as we picked up my car at Bedford bridge, I can see why they might object to such a big group.

By the way, the channel Just upstream and river right of the big tree is clear if a bit scrapy in places.

hardy

Post by hardy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:46 pm

We went as two groups.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:10 pm

We were on the River on Sunday and had no such problems. These people just want the valley to themselves and why is their sport more important than ours, can't we share this lovely environment. The old man did come out to talk to us and I am glad he did as I hadn't seen him for quite some time. We wished him well and he went back into his house after he made his point. The get in is on public land and I am sure the get out is not trepassing on anyones land.

Paddle and be polite.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates