River Tavy - Tavistock to Denham Bridge

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
MikeStorrar

Re: RIVER TAVY (Tavistock to Denham Bridge)

Post by MikeStorrar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:36 am

I am running this section with a group tomorrow Sunday 15th March....anyone know if we can run the town weirs? And what the levels are doing?

many thanks Mike 11
Mike S

furby

Post by furby » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:28 pm

Will it be paddlable this weekend? Looks very likly the dart will be too low, thinking of alternatives...

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:55 am

Tavy at a nice level this morning. just washing over the rock on the first town rapid. gauge on town weir showing 0.4

Dawlish Paddler

Post by Dawlish Paddler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Hi Guys and Gals

Anyone know the level of the Tavy for this run. Thinking of doing it on Saturday morning.
Craig

Devon

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 am

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

LittleLegs

Post by LittleLegs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Using the guage shown on the webcam (clicking on the hours down the bottom) can anyone tell me what the level is for a cm?

For eample @ 2pm today its saying 25cm is that very low don't bother, low, medium or high?
Rob

Dawlish Paddler

Post by Dawlish Paddler » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks for the webcam link, but like Rob, I am not sure what is a high, medium or low level. Any guidance would be gratefully received.
Craig

Devon

Dawlish Paddler

Post by Dawlish Paddler » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:42 pm

So as folks know, when the gauge on the webcam reads a river level just above 25, it is a reasonable, low water paddle with nothing too boney. It would be better if a little higher. I also observed the rock in the main flow at the bottom of the first rapid. You can see it clearly as you leave the car park on foot at the uppermost exit. The water was occaisionally lapping half way over this rock. I would imagine the level would be ideal if this rock were covered. One to check out another time.

Also, we had a visit from the old guy who likes to put notices on your car whilst loading up the boats. He was quite amicable although I have known him to be less so in the past.
Craig

Devon

JimmyC

Post by JimmyC » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:05 am

Hi, I am travelling down the west country this wkd and wondered if the Tavy is runnable at the moment? I will be leading a group who are new to white water.

Many thanks

Dawlish Paddler

Post by Dawlish Paddler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 am

No rain for ages and the Tavy needs plenty. It will not be runable this weekend.
Craig

Devon

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Paddled this stretch today at 0.30 on the Mary tavy gauge. Nice level, although a little scrappy in the odd spot.

Lots of shooting going on right next to the river just after the tavy sewage works. A little unnerving.

Playwave near the gauging station was a perfect level.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:59 pm

And which club was paddling? Never seen so many cars at denham. It was packed at the bridge and the forestry car park had about twenty cars in it.

Denys

Post by Denys » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I was with a multi-activites club from Bristol, but there was at least 2, maybe 3 other groups. I was quite suprised at the amount of cars at Denham Bridge and the Forestry car park, although I do think a certain amount of them were walkers and bikers.
As you said, a nice level, most of my group had never done the Tavy before so a nice intro for them, and the last wave . . . sweeet, pity we were losing daylight!!
www.theoutsideelement.co.uk ...using nature's playground.

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Is there any chance of the Tavy being runnable this Saturday (27th November)?

I was hoping for my first run down.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on alternative rivers of similar grade, in the area, that might run if the Tavy isn't.

Thank you in advance.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Unlikely. The loop is probably the only section likely to be runnable.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Also consider the Exe & Barle

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Thank you jam bo and Simon.

We are down for the week end and will be paddling the Dart. Also looking for something else for a bit of variety.

Simon - do you mean the Barle from Tarr steps?

Thanks again. It is really great to get such good local guidance

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:22 pm

http://picasaweb.google.com/Wilsers/AOACModburyNov10#

Photos and first couple of videos are from the Lower Dart but the rest of the videos show all the major rapids on the Tavy from Tavistock down to the Forestry Commission take out below Denham.

Lovely river.

Andy

Joel.Perkin

Post by Joel.Perkin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:00 pm

There was a tree down about halfway between Tavistock and the Walkham confluence. It was easy to make the gap, but it was v. narrow, and may be a whole different game if the levels are up. It is nearly all the way across the river. Sunday 7th Feb 2011.

(There was also a bull on the bank by one of the drops, which may be interesting if you take a swim
============

Joel

joel.perkin@googlemail.com

hardy

Lower Tavy

Post by hardy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm

On Saturday October 6th 2012 , a group of beginners were on the South Avon CC "intro" trip , at the lower Tavy .

On Saturday last ( 3-11-12 ) , whilst taking them on another intro trip at the Loop , they told me of trouble they had encountered on that first paddle .

We had several groups on the river that day , obviously led by responsible coaches , aware of access problems .
However , when they encountered some fishermen , and caught their eye so as to pass safely , the anglers started shouting abuse .
Some of our groups were taken aback by this behaviour , genuinly startled apparently ( i am used to it , but was not there ).
More than that , the guys started casting their lines across their boats , causing already wobbly paddlers even more distress !

Debs , one of the paddlers in the last group , told me she saw the fishermen and smiled , waving at them , as she was unaware of what had taken place minutes before . Whilst doing this , these guys threatened physical harm to her and the group . She told me of her real shock at this event .

Now most of us here know the score , and we deal with it in different ways .
But to me , this seems a step up in the antagonism between our two groups .
Some of us believe things will worsen before they improve , i do anyway , and this proves it .
Again , i put this note here not for retaliation , or even investigation , but as a record of an unfortunate event between our two parties . Maybe later , with more evidence , we will know where to look to resolve the situation ?

Denys

Re: River Tavy - Tavistock to Denham Bridge

Post by Denys » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Really sad to hear this is happening on the Tavy, it's one of my favourite sections, particularly with ww beginners and always found it really friendly and the locals welcoming. I hope it's just a glitch..
www.theoutsideelement.co.uk ...using nature's playground.

Mikers

Re: Lower Tavy

Post by Mikers » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 pm

hardy wrote: Some of our groups were taken aback by this behaviour , genuinly startled apparently ( I am used to it , but was not there ).
More than that , the guys started casting their lines across their boats , causing already wobbly paddlers even more distress !
I've had this before, on the Itchen (below Woodmill, believe it or not). Just take a couple of wraps of line around your arm and keep paddling. They won't do it again.

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:50 pm

We did a litter clean on this sections in November and since we have received nothing but abuse from local fisherman and landowners.Try and do something good and get abused for it!!! Even the EA have since stated they will not support out efforts unless we have written permission from the Riprian owners. I am trying to get this in writing (from the EA).

janet brown

Post by janet brown » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:35 pm

So the EA have changed their tune from what was said in November: typical! From the newspaper report at the time http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Angler-acc ... story.html
The Environment Agency dismissed Mr Mountjoy's criticisms.

"We refute the claim that the Agency encouraged a 'mass trespass' by canoeists," said a spokesman.

"On the day, it merely supplied the volunteers with bags in which to collect the rubbish and gloves."

The spokesman said there were "clear environmental benefits" to be gained from the actions of the volunteers, who often removed items such as fishing tackle left by anglers.

He also said there was "little evidence" that fish would have been disturbed as salmon normally spawn on the Tavy from around Remembrance Sunday through to mid-January, while the clean-up took place at the very start of the spawning season.

"Importantly, fish tend to spawn at night. The clean-up took place during the day," the spokesman added.
Janet

DJM

Post by DJM » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 am

We paddled this section yesterday(16th Dec).
Run all clear!
Didn't see a soul all day except another group at the bridge.
We always seem to miss the antagonist odd balls.
Dave

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 pm

Mark Allen wrote:We did a litter clean on this sections in November and since we have received nothing but abuse from local fisherman and landowners.Try and do something good and get abused for it!!! Even the EA have since stated they will not support out efforts unless we have written permission from the Riprian owners. I am trying to get this in writing (from the EA).
Is that Mike Maslin who has changed his tune, to suit his angling pals? Or another EA rep?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Another EA rep, called Jonathan Bailey. Appartantly they will support all events we do IF we get permission from riparioan owners, so I requested all landowners details on Tavy, Dart, Walkham and Exe and have recieved nothing as of yet....

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks - he seems to be area manager for Devon and Cornwall, a relatively big fish.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark Allen

Post by Mark Allen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Mark R wrote:Thanks - he seems to be area manager for Devon and Cornwall, a relatively big fish.
I have requested info from him, if no reply before xmas, i will be on his case on 8th Jan, but from the phone call i had with him, The EA clearly like the ideas of litter clean via kayak but they dont like complaint from winging fisherman and landowners

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 pm

Never lose sight of the fact that he has no jurisdiction over navigation - his opinion on paddlers and what paddlers do is just that - an opinion.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK