River Stour - Canford School to Christchurch Quay

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

River Stour - Canford School to Christchurch Quay

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 pm

Pete Shepherd ... 'I put in at Muscliffe yesterday (June 07). Not a great start, as I spoke to a countryside ranger who told me that this part of the river is \'non-navigable\', and that the Environment Agency wouldn\'t be happy. That said, she was friendly, and didn\'t actually try to stop me.

At Throop weir a bloke told me that I wasn\'t allowed on the river as the land belonged to the Malmesbury Estate, and the fishing club contribute to its upkeep. We then had a vey amicable chat - the usual about cost of kayak etc etc.

Ten minutes after the weir at Throop, a bailiff (or estate employee?) was in the river doing some weed cutting. I just knew what he was going to say ... that I was trespassing on Malmesbury Estate territory (which he said runs from Muscliffe to the Bmth to Ringwood road bridge). Once again, he wasn\'t completely hostile, and didn\'t tell me to stop. He told me (more than once) that if I were there in a week\'s time when the fishing season had begun, I wouldn\'t get far, that fishermen might jump in after me ..... I explained that I knew about the fishing season, and had intentionally avoided it. Had the head bailiff seen me, he would apparently have either (man on Throop weir) gone mental, or (man in river) phoned the police.

I always keep in my drybag a copy of the email that I received a couple of years ago from one of the local water companies. When confronted, I mention this, ie that the law is unclear and that as I understand it you can own land but not the river. This does seem to help.'

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:22 pm

Pete Shepherd (2007) - 'Next trip, I put in at the old Iford bridge and headed upstream towards Iford weir .. At the Iford road bridge a Bournemouth and West Hants Water Company notice read \'End of navigation - no boats\' or words to that effect. Strangely, when I arrived at a footbridge about ten minutes later I saw the following sign: \'No canoes, boats or swimming beyond next weir\'. Rather contradictory messages!'

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:30 pm

Updated today.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark R

Re: DORSET RIVER STOUR (Canford School to Christchurch Quay)

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:14 pm

'We decided to venture up beyond the \'tidal\' weir towards Throop. Against a strong flow we had plenty of time to talk to the fishermen who generally were very pleasant. Close to Throop a lone fisherman started shouting and threatened us with \'I\'m calling the Bailiff\'. At this point we decided to turn around and head back towards Christchurch. He obiously had called the Bailiff as we met him about 500m downstream from where we were.
The Bailiff called us to the bank and formally explained that we were trespassing and that we were to leave the water and to portage to the nearest highway. We obviously apologised and he eventually allowed us to continue downstream back to Christchurch.' - Simon Jackson
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

GJH

Post by GJH » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Ran this today, (monday 13/4), low water, no real problems, was politely asked to portage the weir at longham water plant and had a couple of run ins with a territorial swans, other than that everyone we met seemed happy to see us.
Except for Longham we were able to run all of the weirs without any problem, although we did inspect several from the shore, prior to running them.
And it was all going so well...

rache

Post by rache » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Does anything worth playing on ever form around Christchurch (eg the Bridge Street bridges area)?

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:03 pm

rache wrote:Does anything worth playing on ever form around Christchurch (eg the Bridge Street bridges area)?
Nope, but depends on what you mean by playing and what time of year your talking about.

In the summer there is a fishing barge strung below the Priory Bridge.

Best bet is the stone weir on the Stour behind Tesco's on Castle Lane (near Hospital), about 1/2 mile up from Iford Bridge.

rache

Post by rache » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 am

ok - That might be worth an investigate next time I'm back home in xchurch.

Dwarf

Post by Dwarf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Nice one sided article on the aforementioned 'baliff' in today's Bournemouth Echo.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/f ... _banks_on/
Chris is frequently having spats with canoeists, who aren’t allowed to paddle on this part of the Stour

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Dwarf wrote:Nice one sided article on the aforementioned 'baliff' in today's Bournemouth Echo.

Chris is frequently having spats with canoeists, who aren’t allowed to paddle on this part of the Stour
What a prat.

LDN Lee

Post by LDN Lee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Be careful chas looks like he comes armed with a paddler prodder! :-)

storm

Post by storm » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Mass paddle sounds a good idea obvoisly nothing organised just lots of friends happenjng to turn up on the same day.
Steve

Nugz

Post by Nugz » Thu May 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Dwarf wrote:Nice one sided article on the aforementioned 'baliff' in today's Bournemouth Echo.

From the article...
On any given day the 58-year-old can be doing anything from strimming grass on the riverbanks to cutting the weed in the river.
Aside from keeping the Stour safe and tidy for visitors, as a bailiff, Chris has to ensure it’s more hospitable for fish and wildlife. He points out some concrete slabs that he’s placed in the river, which will help create habitats for the fish.
More pseudo habitat restoration directly driven by anglers objectives. Does anyone know how these 'water bailiffs' are funded by on both regional and/or specific river basis?

2010 was our national year for biodiversity...

http://publications.environment-agency. ... AG-E-E.pdf

http://publications.environment-agency. ... AF-E-E.pdf

Etheridge

Info about Christchurch harbour?

Post by Etheridge » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm

Hi all.
I'm new to this forum so HELLO!

Anyway, I'm planing on getting a kaiak after playing with my fathers at the weekend.
We went from mudeford up the river to the slipway at Christchurch by the council building.

Now from what I've read if we had kept going we could have done the 'Christchurch loop'.

Here is my question...
How far can a beginer go up if we didn't loop.

Also, how far up can you go if we didn't turn off the main river... So going past the captins club and then under tuckton bridge?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions but I'm very new to all this... But very excited :-)

Cheers
Jason

Chas C

Re: Info about Christchurch harbour?

Post by Chas C » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:46 am

Hi Jason - take a look at

River Stour guide http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/inde ... Itemid=115
&
River Avon guide http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/inde ... Itemid=115

In general terms on the Avon if your a beginner then its best to paddle the Avon loop at high tide as there is then less river flow to catch you out - the loop runs from above the bridges in Christchurch so if you want to avoid the moving water where the river splits then stop just above the bridges.

The Stour can be paddled all the way to the Weir behind Tesco's (near Bournemouth Hospital) without needing any portages.

Have fun.

Etheridge

Post by Etheridge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:19 am

Awesome thanks.
I will give that a try!! Do you get much hassle from fishermen?

Cheers Jase

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Etheridge wrote:Do you get much hassle from fishermen?
The Stour much less than the Avon, there have been recent issues on the Avon with fishermen harassing paddlers on the loop section above the town bridges.

On the Avon loop below Priory Bridge there is a fishing pontoon in the river (only there in the summer months) but is easily passable.

mymini67

Post by mymini67 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:54 pm

12/05/2012Paddled in a small group (4 boats) from Cowgrove Rd car park (just west of Winbourne Minster) to Christchurch harbour. The river was high enough to run ALL the weirs safely. The only challenge was from a security guard at Canford School who gave us the "You can't paddle here!" line. Having been challenged HE finally let us know that river right of the island is owned by the school, but there was no objection to us running the weir on the left. Longham water plant was devoid of life, giving us a chance of a breather

snuggle_bunny

Re: River Stour - Canford School to Christchurch Quay

Post by snuggle_bunny » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:24 pm

I find it all rather sad. up the revolution

Vulch

Post by Vulch » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:56 am

Schools are a difficult one. They have a very obvious higher duty of care towards the kids. Most parents wouldn't expect random people to be wandering through their kid's school. The security guard was simply doing his job. Just like the secretary at the front desk of every primary school in the country. You cannot just walk into schools anymore. They have to know who you are and why you are there. And it needs to be a damned good reason. The likelihood of a bad person (Dunblane? Rochdale?) arriving by canoe is obviously very small, but all people are challenged by schools these days, as a matter of course.

However the fisherfolk are, of course, fair game.

Vulch

cosmikdebriis

Post by cosmikdebriis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Vulch wrote:Schools are a difficult one. They have a very obvious higher duty of care towards the kids. Most parents wouldn't expect random people to be wandering through their kid's school.
Vulch
That takes me back, to the 70's... As a lad and living in west Howe !!! Our youth group used to walk along the river bank from Bear Cross, right through Canford School to go boating at Wimborne (by the bridge).

Now West Howe is mostly a council estate and Canford School is a quite posh private school. Our lads would often invite the posh kids to come out and... erm... "Play". An offer they always declined !!!

I believe now the footpath has been diverted to the other side of the river. Perhaps we were somewhat responsible.

Echobravo

Post by Echobravo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Well a rain filled and brisk morning paddle from Muscliffe to Christchurch down the Rover Stour. A cracking paddle with tonnes of wildlife, herons, swans, ducks,wild otters and a few angry gorillas on the river bank (fishing) who clearly thought that my gentle paddle down the river deserved the abuse they offered. Being giving a sound ignoring seemed only to aggravate the 60-65 years olds who clearly owned the river! I am staggered to be on the receiving end of this and struggle to understand how one sport can be considered any greater than another?

I have reviewed the UK Canoe Association website that is seeking to find a way through this ridiculous issue, until then I will continue to paddle the river to make the most of the UK waterways.

The water levels were good but with a 16ft sea kayak the lower stone weir taken on river right was not the best solution and required a bit a jiggery-pokery to break free from the rocks. Centre would have been the best choice - go enjoy!

PeterParslow

Post by PeterParslow » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 am

We kayaked this on Saturday, from Christchurch up (largely with the tide) to the weir at SZ 13413 94385. Angling Club signs on the footbridge below this weir back up Bournemouth Water's statement a few years ago (earlier in this comment chain) that that's OK. Chatted happily with a couple of anglers. There was even one guy taking a small inflatable & outboard that far.

We all ignored a Bournemouth Water sign on Ifford Bridge saying 'no boats beyond this point'.

The channel north of the island under the A35 was impassable - even at high tide - due to vegetation. I'm sure I got through there a few years ago. It looked easy to launch/recover just below old Ifford Bridge, on the west bank - some people were.

With the tide, it's a nice lazy paddle. Even saw a kingfisher.

Put in / take out: easy from the car park at the end of Wick Lane - a few pounds for four hours.

Chas C

Post by Chas C » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:35 pm

PeterParslow wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:47 am
We kayaked this on Saturday, from Christchurch up (largely with the tide) to the weir at SZ 13413 94385. Angling Club signs on the footbridge below this weir back up Bournemouth Water's statement a few years ago (earlier in this comment chain) that that's OK. Chatted happily with a couple of anglers. There was even one guy taking a small inflatable & outboard that far.

We all ignored a Bournemouth Water sign on Ifford Bridge saying 'no boats beyond this point'.

The channel north of the island under the A35 was impassable - even at high tide - due to vegetation. I'm sure I got through there a few years ago. It looked easy to launch/recover just below old Ifford Bridge, on the west bank - some people were.

With the tide, it's a nice lazy paddle. Even saw a kingfisher.

Put in / take out: easy from the car park at the end of Wick Lane - a few pounds for four hours.
Peter your mixing the Avon with the Stour :-)

Return to “England - Southwest”