RIVER PIDDLE (Cuckoo Pound to Wareham)

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

RIVER PIDDLE (Cuckoo Pound to Wareham)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:40 pm

Mark R

Re: RIVER PIDDLE (Cuckoo Pound to Wareham)

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:23 pm

March 2008, from Adrian Clark - 'Four of us did the section from Cuckoo Pound to Wareham last Sunday, a very pleasant scenic paddle with all the weirs bar the last one being runnable. The bridge over the last weir was covered in scaffolding which reached far too close to the water to feel happy about paddling under it.

However the landowners very clearly did not want us there. We were challenged twice. Both times they were very polite, but made it very clear that we were not welcome.
To a certain extent I could see their point as they were clearly spending large amounts of money maintaining the river, but it was a real shame that they couldn’t see a way to make paddlers welcome.
Everybody in our group would have been willing to pay an appropriate access fee, as nobody could deny that the river was improved by the work that had been put in to it.

We were lucky that we weren’t spotted until we were well away from the car; as it was we were reluctantly tolerated, but it would have been rather different if we had been seen getting on.
Rescues and portages would have also been unpleasant if accompanied by somebody telling us we were trespassing.'

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:34 pm

Great little river compared to some of the others, although you are likely to get challenged at the get in, by the land owner who owns the large house river left a little while after the put in, there are 2 weirs and a bridge which need portaging. (I suspect it is the landowners who own the bridge, and they are getting unhappy because we have to climb over or around the bridge which is in there garden.

There is a very small surf wave formed which is great fun for begginers,

This is a stepped weir a little way in, it's pretty hard to walk round from what I can rember, depending on how confident you are you can either run the main drop or the stepped bit, but depending on what boat you have, you might get a vertical pin which was nothing serious, but enough to cause some concern for complete begginers, you can most likely run the main drop, the pool at the bottom was deep enough on the way we ran it, but see for yourself.

Its a fun flat little river, and I would reccomend this over the river Avon which is nearby.

harrywatson

Post by harrywatson » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:18 pm

Ps please feel free to use theese in your guide..

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... =662991110

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:33 pm

We paddled the Piddle again (14th june 10) this was my third time down the river, each time I have been I have taken completely diffrent people down it. It has a strange appeal about it.. It was also the second time I have been challenged on the river. We were paddling the river a little way passed the large river left house near the put in. I saw a golf style trolley with trailer on driving river left (through a field) which crossed a bridge ahead of us and he pulled up river right. I was with a friend who is 16(so am I). The guy said I am going to have to ask you to leave the river (implying we put our boats on his trailer) he told us he was the riparian owner. I then reminded him being the riparian owner that he ownt the banks/bed not the water we were floating on. After some debate about us killing birds/fish/littering/poisioning the river we reminded him we didnt actually do that. He said there was nothing he could do and left us be saying he was returning to his boss. We finished the river no problems. He was perfectly reasonable and gave me the impression he didnt mind us there, it was his boss that did.* I think he was surprised to find out I actually knew my stuff on river acsess.

Slightly further downstream near picture 5 on facebook photos, We met and chatted to a very nice lady who said she lives near the river. She said she had lived by the river for 40 years and was glad to see us here, which made a very refreshing change. We had a long chat and she told us the river has adders living on the banks and there are 2 otters + 2 Babes? Living in the river. (im yet to see them but I shall soon)

Being in a golf buggy I presumed he was from the golf club, I emailed them and the piddle doesnt pass through their property and it wasnt them. I SUSPECT the man was from the large house river left, but could be wrong.*

If your in the area, give the river a try, its the clearest river I have seen in my paddling career, lots of fish very clean and beautiful keep it that way.

**As a change to what posted above in the second photo, DONT RUN THE MAIN WEIR DROP< RUN THE STEPS, If you do you will get an injury to your back/feet/boat nose**

Have fun, if you have any questions, fire me an email harrywatson1994 (hat) hotmail (dotCOdotUK).

markdamen

Post by markdamen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Paddled this today, group of 4 of us. We arrived at the put in already change, got on quickly and quietly, and weren't challenged. We did see a family out walking a short while after turning left, as indicated in the guide. We first thought that it was just a family out walking, but the older couple at the back made a passing comment that did we know it was a private river. We just acted dumb and asked what they meant. We have a polite conversation about how they own and let the land, and that whilst the lady knew on the water we won't doing anything wrong, there were some definite portages down stream and at that point we would be trespassing.

The river itself was ok for the grade. Pleasant for a sunday morning paddle locally, mist rising from the river and lots of wildlife. We had to duck under a few low bridges, we got out 3 times. Two for footbridges that were too low to pass under, 1 for a tree which was river wide and certain portage. Apart from that everything else runs, last weir is very tame. Just a slide really. The big weir with steps to river left, you do need to take the river left steps. The main weir has a shallow landing, and from 6-8 foot it will likely hurt!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:31 am

harrywatson wrote: Image
Nice use of basic safety kit there!

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Under 18's had Ba's on, Helmets really werent needed. Ba should have been worn in top picture.

markdamen

Post by markdamen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:05 pm

Hey, whether you're over/under 18 or no matter how good an individual may think they are at kayaking, wearing a BA is just a sensible precaution. You can't account for hitting your head, coming out your boat then floating down river etc etc. Just wear one everytime you paddle, simple!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:17 pm

HarryWats0n wrote:Under 18's had Ba's on, Helmets really werent needed. Ba should have been worn in top picture.
Seriously!?! Helmets were not needed? Why are the rocks made out of foam or did you all have metal heads?

At the end of the day it is up to you how you run rivers but I would really suggest basic safety equipment is a must, there is no good reason not too and so so many good reasons to wear BA's and helmets.

Denzil

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Kids slid down the weir in little rubber rings they didnt wear a ba or helmet or have bank safety Im not going to put a post up and slate them, what they were doing was safe. Im sure 99% of people who have paddled this ditch didn't use helmets. Im not stupid, If a river can actually be graded over 1, then I would insist everyone I paddled with wore a helmet and buoyancy aid. If you fall out of the kayak, you stand up its 2ft deep.. People ride bikes without helmets.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:52 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Will.S.

Post by Will.S. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Nice report! I have now been inspired to do the local home run!

Any issues with access/parking give me a call and IF I'M IN you can park where I live 07929349329, 01929472726. The river runs past the house I rent right near cuckoo pound.

Small numbers though as I live in the annex of my landlords house.

William Swallow

cosmikdebriis

Wool to Lake pier (Poole Harbour) Via Wareham

Post by cosmikdebriis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:39 am

Hi... I'm Dave and new here...

Just wondered if anyone had any experience on the journey from Wool to Rockley/Lake (pier) in Poole Harbour.

A friend and I tried it earlier this week but got stuck at the weir (next to Bindon abbey).

We have already done the route from Holme Bridge, via Wareham Quay, in to the harbour and out at Rockley/Lake pier which was a superb run.

There are two weirs en route from Wool though and although the second on looks navigable by taking the right hand channel for a while then carrying your kayak across the bank to the main channel. The first weir (at Bindon abbey) seems to be on private land and right next to a house !!!

Quick word of warning to anyone thinking of giving this a go. Just before the Bindon weir is a very low and narrow stone arched bridge. The bridge is so low you may need to duck to get under it. It is also so narrow you will not be able to paddle. Problem arises when, having passed under the bridge and so close to the weir, the speed of the water picks up alarmingly before and getting back up past the bridge can be a problem as you can't paddle through it. My mate walked his hands on the inside of the arch and I took a run up and only just made it through. I'd guess best place for portage would be before the bridge. how you avoid being seen by the people in the house is a bit of a mystery though

Anyway, we would be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences.

Vulch

Re: Wool to Lake pier (Poole Harbour) Via Wareham

Post by Vulch » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:45 am

Right of navigation runs as far up as the Wareham bypass - this is the tidal limit. But with the legal nicities out of the way, it doesn't get paddled much as far as I know! I have paddled up above the bypass (some time ago) I think about a mile. Legend has it that the fisherfolk about those parts are a bit assertive, but don't let that stop you. I have no problem scaring fish that would otherwise get hooked and released in the name of sport, although walking through someone's garden is a bit tricky in my book, and might get you in trouble. If is someone's LAND - ie if they aren't sunbathing in it, or playing with their children, and is a country mile from their house, then that's different. If someone owns vast tracts of land, then 'reasonable trespass' on that land is something that goes with the territory. This is, however, only my opinion.

Vulch

cosmikdebriis

Re: Wool to Lake pier (Poole Harbour) Via Wareham

Post by cosmikdebriis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:02 am

Yes, I'm with you on this one. Groups of people walking across your garden carrying Kayaks does seem a bit unfair on the house owner.

I should imagine the best place to start would be near Stokeford, where the road goes through the little manned railway crossing. You can just about park there but the river crosses that road in several places. It's the crossing nearest the bridge that looks most likely. That route avoids both weirs.

Only saw one fisherman who was polite (but there again he was outnumbered),

Bank was littered with little corrugated iron "huts" that looked like they were used for shooting ??? I guess that could be a little more awkward !!!

Return to “England - Southwest”