River Brue

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
lynsg

River Brue

Post by lynsg » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Hallo, I have a 2 man packraft (an MRS X2) and my son and I want to paddle down the Brue from Bruton to the sea. On the OS map it drops very little and appears that it should be a dead easy touring river but I can't find any real info on it - possibly it's not exciting enough to mention!

If anyone knows the river, would you be kind enough to please tell me anything we need to know before starting.

Cheers
Lyn

WWBrue

Re: River Brue

Post by WWBrue » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I have paddled sections around Baltonsborough to Westhay a lot with school groups. It the summer it can be lovely paddling in the Somerset meadows. It is flat with occasional scrapey weirs (most of which can be scraped down, although some need walking around, like the one near Street). In the winter if can feel a bit like a muddy ditch though. In very high water (i.e. the levels are flooding) some of the weirs need respect. The small weir at Baltonsborough actually creates a nice little play wave in high flows, but you don't really want to roll in the murky water. We have never had access issues.

Go for it, it should be a good adventure (but not without jeopardy to the boat on the weirs). I have not heard of anyone doing what you suggest.

lynsg

Re: River Brue

Post by lynsg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks. We'll probably start at West Lydford or maybe Alford, stop at Glastonbury for a night and then down to the coast the next morning. It will be within the coming week so will report anything of interest.

Cheers
Lyn