The Steam Railway Company has withdrawn parking and access/egress from their property at Buckfastleigh Station (and Butterfly Farm). This has been a useful parking and egress point for the section from RDCP. The remaining get out is immediately downstream from the road bridge alongside the Moghul's Palace, before the A38 road bridge. There isl imited parking in two laybys on the old Ashburton Road.
Their reasons are:
1. The railway's car park and access road has become overrun with canoeists during the winter 'season'.
2. On days when trains are not running, the car park is open only for a limited period for the Butterflies and Otter and there is a risk of canoeists' cars being locked in with extra hassle for staff waiting around.
3. Parking on the access road causes congestion.
4. Some changing has been very indiscrete and with Santa specials during December there are many children around
5. The riverbank is eroding.
6. Staff have been verbally abused by canoeists.
So partly due to its popularity and partly due to inconsiderate behaviour of a small minority of paddlers this convenient egress & parking spot has been removed. Maybe the BCU can negotiate something – I will pass this info onto the Access Officer.
The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
I am going down to check out the options on 16th.