White water day for a beginner Cornwall.

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Tucksy81

White water day for a beginner Cornwall.

Post by Tucksy81 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:03 am

Hi i live in Truro and really fancy having a go at some white water kayaking, can anyone recommend a company that do beginner trips please?

thanks

StoneWeasel

Re: White water day for a beginner Cornwall.

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:06 pm

I would highly recommend getting in touch with Falmouth Canoe Club. They are a very friendly bunch and will help you to get your skills up to a level where you will be competent enough to be led on a whitewater and you can then tag along on one of their river trips.

Denzil

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:32 am

Or try Hayle Club. They paddle the sluice in Hayle which is about as close to white water as you can get down here and a good place to practice your skills. They also do trips to the Dart and Tamar in the winter..

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm

oldschool wrote:Or try Hayle Club. They paddle the sluice in Hayle which is about as close to white water as you can get down here and a good place to practice your skills. They also do trips to the Dart and Tamar in the winter..
While I agree that Hayle has a nice club I disagree that the sluice is about as close to white water as you can get down here. There are some really good bits on the Fowey and Camel in particular with some fun little bits like the Par (not suitable for beginners admittedly).

I am certainly not dissing the mighty sluice though, I have had a lot of fun there over the years.

Hayle is also a bit of a trek from Truro compared to Falmouth which is why I recommended them. If you can be bothered with the drive though Hayle is a good club and there are probably more white water focused boaters there than at Falmouth.

Denzil

Return to “England - Southwest”