permissions on the somerset levels

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
micraft

permissions on the somerset levels

Post by micraft » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:56 am

We live in the heart of the somerset levels, we have just got a couple of kayaks, but have been advised that we may need permission to paddle the waters. Where do we start in getting those permissions? We have the river Brue going right past our house , so would be looking to explore that and its tributries for starters.
Any info and some tips as to where lese to try would be great
Cheers

hardy

Re: permissions on the somerset levels

Post by hardy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:47 pm

I can only assume the lack of rain is the reason why paddlers are not trawling this section of the forum , and hence why you have not yet got a reply.

"Access" is a huge issue in our world. Many ( usually non boaters ) will tell you about having permission . Clubs like to paddle stuff where there is little likely-hood of aggrivation for legal reasons and protection of it's members. However , many of us find groups of friends who are like-minded and paddle where there is sufficient water , so we do not damage any natural habitat , and also because it is not as much fun when water is shallow . On the "levels" you should have water , where-as on steeper water the rain doesn't hang around .

Our arguement is basically that , whilst we accept a landowner may own the banks , and even part or all of the riverbed , they do not own the water on which we float . So it should follow that if you get to the water by a route that may be "public" , for example , no one will challenge you . This goes for when you get of as well .

Some of us push the rules a bit , others don't . Pretty much all of us agree that we should try and go about our endeavors in a respectful fashion .

Some rivers are known for problems , again , others are problem free .

My advice , for what it is worth , is "go for it ". Paddle the levels , and if challenged by someone , ask what they think you are doing wrong , what authority they have , etc etc. From that you can make a more informed decision , and even come here for guidance and support.

Good luck.

hardy

Post by hardy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Another thing :

I have found in life , once "permission" is sought , the tin is opened and the worms begin a-wriggling . So i don't ask , i just look to my concience .

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:47 am

Officially, ensure that you are confident to have the permission of the land owner, whose land you walk over to get to and from the river. If you are using a public footpath, then no permissions required. You do not need permission to be on the water. There is no law in the statue book nor body of case law to indicate that you are in the wrong by floating your boat on a river in England or Wales.

Orinoco

Post by Orinoco » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Have a look here...http://www.paddlepoints.net/

Not permission, but where you can access the water