best time of year to visit Great Britain?

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
dangerjudy

best time of year to visit Great Britain?

Post by dangerjudy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:13 am

I am thinking about organizing a trip to Great Britain to kayak. My friends and I would want class II-III-IV rivers (US rating, I don't know if you use the same system to rate rivers/rapids). What time of year would be the best time to visit for river running/creeking?

Rhod

Re: best time of year to visit Great Britain?

Post by Rhod » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:56 am

How long are you planning to come over for?
You won't find very much whitewater in the midlands (which is where you have posted your comment). Though you are only a 3h drive from some very good stuff in Wales and the lake dirtrict.

Our rivers are rain fed so nothing can be guaranteed but most reliable rivers would be in Fort William in Scotland for Class 3/4 whitewater during October.
You would fly into Glasgow or Edinburugh and expect a 3h drive to Fort William.

October-Feb tend to be the best months for what you are looking for. I guess if you are over for a while you could fly into the Midlands and then travel to wherever it is raining (If anywhere is). There are loads of bunkhouses in the paddling areas that can be booked last minuet.

I would post this again in the main page of the inland forum if I was you
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... um.php?f=3
More people will see it and you may even find some people to paddle with.
Rhodri Anderson

Ieuan Belshaw

Post by Ieuan Belshaw » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:42 pm

It's all rain dependent, you need to be over here for a long time to make it worth it so you can catch some of the water. This summer we've had a fair bit. Recently over the past couple of weeks its been pretty nuts, all the same it's pretty random. According the our rainfall averages, Autumn is the best time to come (Oct-Nov). Better of going to glacial fed rivers if you want a guaranteed trip.

North Wales and West Highlands are your best options for good rivers if your coming here anyway. See http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/rivers/regions
Ieuan :)

dangerjudy

Post by dangerjudy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks, I'll repost in the Inland forum as well. I just chose the midlands forum randomly.

Return to “England - Midlands”