East Midland suggestions please!

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Rjo103

East Midland suggestions please!

Post by Rjo103 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi guys
I'm looking for suggestions of places we could take beginner kayakers in the east midlands to introduce moving water skills. Ideally with a gentle 3-4 hour trip downstream after. Unfortunately the options are not jumping out at me!

I'm looking up to 50 miles from Grantham and have found the lower trent, which looks pretty uninspiring; the Soar to loughborough which looks a bit better; and the Welling around uffington. Has anyone got any other suggestions/advice before I start checking them out?

Cheers

Rich

gonzo

Re: East Midland suggestions please!

Post by gonzo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08 pm

There are a few guides on our regional site http://www.empaddlers.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=75

You'll struggle with a 50mile radius.

Matlock is the best local place.

Swarkestone bridge has a few rapids at good levels.

Other than that your left with weirs (Newark weir is a good place for beginners) or the Nene/HPP back channels

Steve

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks for the advice Steve. What's the current access situation on paddling from Darley Dale? From what I could make out on the various websites there is legal access to this stretch but the Matlock canoe club site says that the anglers have unilaterally banned access?

Quite depressing to see how much river is apparently being blocked from public access by angling clubs, after a trip to Scotland with its clear law on access. Let's get the e-petition to 100000 signatures!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/25118

Rich

gonzo

Post by gonzo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:08 pm

I've never had a problem paddling from Darley Dale to Matlock, get on and paddle the river :)

dmpriestley

Post by dmpriestley » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Newark Canoe Club run an Annual trip to Yarwell Mill nr Peterborough. We paddle the Nene from Oundle back to the camp-site and take in all the backwaters, which provide some interesting moving water for beginners.

Check out their website for details; newarkcanoeclub.org.uk

Rjo103

Post by Rjo103 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for the info :)

Also thanks Gonzo, it took three months but we made it down there and it was well worth the trip. The anglers were friendly enough :)

Rich

Nev Hallam

Post by Nev Hallam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 am

Not a day out more of a practice spot for beginners but dependant on levels kingsmill donnington is a great after work spot for beginners.

Pete K

Post by Pete K » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Rjo103 wrote:What's the current access situation on paddling from Darley Dale? From what I could make out on the various websites there is legal access to this stretch but the Matlock canoe club site says that the anglers have unilaterally banned access?
Ignore Matlock Canoe Club!
They have a useless access page with no updates since the dark ages. They have ignored all comunication from me asking them to update it. I would love to get hold of the supposed access officer!
Paddle all sections of the Derwent at the right water levels, with the exception of Chatsworth House as you will get serious aggro there. I will get my Derwent guide published online this winter for people.
Darley Dale is good to go in most levels but should have had some recent rain to avoid scraping and really annoying the anglers / causing damage.