Worcester waterways

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
just

Worcester waterways

Post by just » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Does anybody out there go out on any of the rivers in Worcester?. I live in the area & have an inflatable kayak that i'd like to takle out. I hold a BCU license so am able to go out. Be good to team up with somebody for a paddle on local waters..

Justin.......

chrism

Re: Worcester waterways

Post by chrism » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 am

I do, but in a racing boat, so not much help to you for somebody to paddle with. Did see somebody inflating a boat down by the railway bridge last week though - that wasn't you by any chance? Definitely a very nice place to paddle though - do try and make a trip on the Teme as something a bit different - though I suspect you might have trouble getting upstream from the Severn in an inflatable.

p.s. wouldn't worry too much about the licence - have never been checked in the many hundreds of hours I've spent on the river there.

just

Post by just » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Cheers, not it was'nt me, I have'nt taken the inflatable out on local waters yet, where is the railway bridge?. Whereabouts on the Teme can I launch the kayak?. Also, somebody told me that theres a place to launch on the river between callow end & upton on seven to enable a paddle down the river toward upton. Be good if anybody else out there wants to meet up locally..

Justin.........

chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:32 am

Check a map for the railway bridge (hint - it's where the railway crosses the river ;) ) - more helpfully it's in Worcester City Centre, just upstream of the road bridge. Launching on the Teme is tricky - I tend to paddle upstream from the Severn - though you probably can sneak on from somewhere near Powick bridge which is where I normally paddle up to. You can of course start further upstream for a longer run down, but going into access issues on the Teme would take far too long...

As for Severn between Callow End and Upton, there's a choice of places - I've got on at Pixham Ferry http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=38 ... &A=Y&Z=120 Clevelode http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=38 ... &A=Y&Z=120 and Hanley Castle http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=38 ... &A=Y&Z=120 Hanley Castle is the easiest get on, but possibly not the most convenient for you - possibly also problematic at weekends as the signs suggest that where you park your car is owned by the angling club - I've only ever been there midweek lunchtimes (lunchtime paddle from work).

just

Post by just » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Cheers mate, I shall be going to the point at pixham ferry, is that the nit at the rnd of a farm track in callow end?. My mate launched his kayak there a few weeks ago. Will look at hanley castle too..

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

Also, somebody told me that theres a place to launch on the river between callow end & upton on seven to enable a paddle down the river toward upton. Be good if anybody else out there wants to meet up locally..
Pixham Ferry is a good place. I go there a lot to practice flat water stuff. Let me know when you are heading down that way and I might join you.

Actually, Chris, you seem to be local too. I go to Pixham Ferry a lot because the parking is convenient, but I wasn't sure about Clevelode. Is that public land by the river? It is even closer to me so might make for an even better launching point for me. Though I notice that the anglers have put up platforms where it used to be easy to walk to water level.

Never been to the Hanley Castle bit, but will have to check that out.
have never been checked in the many hundreds of hours I've spent on the river there.
Hehe! I did at Pixham Ferry the day after I received my license!

just

Post by just » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi Simon, if you like, you can reach me onmy mobile whenever you go to pixham, it is 07783551226. Are you the Simon,by any chance that Imet one evening with Jules Harman at pixham?

Justin...

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Aha yes, I was the guy there with Jules.

just

Post by just » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi Simon

I'm happy to come out in the evenings at the mo, before the dark evenings really set in. I may have a new boat next week too.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 am

Next week would be cool. Possibly Tuesday? I think it is dark by about 8 these days, so perhaps around 6pm?

just

Post by just » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:22 pm

I can't make tues or thurs next week as have things on, any other eve will be ok. Went to the yat today & bought a perception whip it, so now need to learn how to roll etc.

chrism

Post by chrism » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 am

SimonMW wrote:Actually, Chris, you seem to be local too. I go to Pixham Ferry a lot because the parking is convenient, but I wasn't sure about Clevelode. Is that public land by the river? It is even closer to me so might make for an even better launching point for me. Though I notice that the anglers have put up platforms where it used to be easy to walk to water level.
Re-visited this thread prompted by the Pixham Ferry problems one. Clevelode is right to roam access land up to the river bank - I don't think that gives you a right to launch a boat, but it's a very grey area, given there's nothing to prevent you portaging your boat to the river, at which point you have a right of access. Anyway I've launched there a few times and not been challenged. Not the easiest place to reach the water, but there is a spot where you can get down avoiding the angler's platforms (unless they've put more in since I was last there last year).

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:58 pm

You could also visit Worcester canoe club. Memebers often go out and make small journeys in the are and its a good way of meeting other boaters and getting out and exploring waterways. The Chairman there is Stuart West and teh website is http://www.worcestercanoeclub.org.uk/, contact: worcestercc@yahoo.co.uk
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:46 pm

You could also visit Worcester canoe club.
If you like flatwater racing, flatwater racing, or.... flatwater racing. Oh, and make sure that you have a 2* before bothering them.

Dave B

Post by Dave B » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:47 pm

There is also the River Avon, a good place to get in is at Eckington Bridge, at the picnic site.

Other info at the midlandcanals web site. Though it mostly covers canals, it has info for the River Severn and Avon.

The River Tame has been paddled in places, but there can be access issues as its popular with fishermen. I used to paddle down from Ludlow to Little Hereford. There were the usual issues with wire strung across the river. There is also a few large weirs to get through.

In general, take care with the weirs on the river severn. Belvide is a play spot in some water conditions, but generally they arnt that safe to be in.

just

Post by just » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Tnaks Dave, I know Eckington bridge/picnic spot. If anybodys going that way, message me first or e-mail me at jmdparsons@hotmail.co.uk..

Justin..........

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:18 pm

If you want some white water to play in locally, just up from Eckington is Nafford Weir. this is great for practicing ferry glidding, breaking in and out, tail squirts and even cart wheeling. There is also the weir below Eckington if you paddle down stream, but this is less interesting. I recently paddled from Evesham to Pershore. This was a long flat paddle, but was broekn by playful weirs to inspect, which although dangerous, at low levels they were fairly friendly and could be used just for moving water below as it flushes away from the weir.
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

just

Post by just » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:28 pm

If anybodys out sunday 18th or tues 20th, I can do thesedays. I have'nt been out on the water since october, so feeling quite rusty & in need of getting a paddle session in. I'm also free on the 24th if anybody is out on local waters..

Justin.

just

Post by just » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Simon

If you get this before christmas, i'm free mon/tues next week & can come out for some gentle paddling locally. I say gentle as I have'nt paddled since october.

Justin.......

just

Post by just » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Is anybody out on local waters in worcester/area this weekend 21/22 jan, i'm keen to get out for a gentle paddle as I have'nt been out for 2 months & would like to team up...

Justin......

jmdparsons

Post by jmdparsons » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Anybody out this coming weekend on any water in /near to worcester?. Be good to meet up for a paddle if so...

Justin...