Newark weir water levels

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Eduardo Picante

Newark weir water levels

Post by Eduardo Picante » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:11 pm

I have paddled Newark weir many times in different conditions, I have read that at certain levels the weir can be dangerous.

Where are the water level indicators and at what level does this weir become dangerous?

What are the dangers of this particular playspot??

Cheers in advance for any advice.

slim

Post by slim » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:47 pm

There is some good info here and a pic of the weir closed out along with a video etc. This should give you a good idea!

graemepaterson

Post by graemepaterson » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:02 pm

There is two sides to the Newark Weir which never seems to be mentioned on the guides.

I have only ever seen the weir 'river left' paddleable. River right is always crap when I have been and usually has fishermen.

As has been said a decent wave forms between 1.8 and 2.4, however below this its still very good for beginners to learn moving water and also surf a small wave providing they are not in super short boats.

For the record Holme Pierpont floods out around 2.0 on the level indicator.

The important part is 'where to do find out what the trent level is?'.....................You ring the trent level hotline which is 01159 615690 The hotline is obviously unmanned and is purely audible. It will start with a long Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and then will go silent. You then need to count the beeps. For Example: Beep Beep .....Pause...... Beep Beep Beep Beep = 2.4 on the scale.

I have paddled the wave way above 2.4 where it becomes completely closed in like below.

This was probably about 2.8 - 3.0

This was about 2.4........its still completely safe at this point, but getting close to complete collapse and being like above.

All in all its a decent sized wave, but just a shame its so shallow,

Around 2.8 to 3.0 after wave collapse, hard to get out of and not much fun

Around 2.4 to 2.6, just before complete collapse, quite fun but can turn into above very quickly, dont have any photos of when it just right.

Eduardo Picante

Newark weir water levels

Post by Eduardo Picante » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:52 pm

I have found both sides to be different depending on water levels.

After some heavy rain earlier this summer we had a great day on both sides.

River left was great fun, not too holding and a nice easy surf wave. River right was quite holding but not impossible to get out of.

Somebody put a video clip on you tube, if you type in Newark Weir Summer BBQ you can watch the clip.

graemepaterson

Post by graemepaterson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:32 pm

Water line is currently broken

Gabrielkk

Re: Newark weir water levels

Post by Gabrielkk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Any one know what the levels are like at the moment, because the waterline is still broken (is it going to get fixed?)?

Cheers,
Gabriel

Eduardo Picante

Post by Eduardo Picante » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:29 pm

Does anyone know what has happened to Newark weir recently even after a good downpour and higher water levels the characteristics of the weir seem to have changed.

Neither side is particularly holding or fun to play, I m told that they have opened some sluice gates on Parnhams Island.

RichA

Post by RichA » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:00 pm

The replacement for the phone gauge is here:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ionId=2102

Uses the same Colwick gauge, but in graphical form instead of phone.

As far as I can make out, Newark used to work between approx. 1.9 and 2.2m ish on the phone gauge. The graph in that link needs the same level as far as I can make out.

Transplant

Post by Transplant » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:57 pm

Has anyone been down to newark paddling recently? Just wondering that you guys are doing with regards the new fencing that has appeared on river left to block access to the put in there?

Also, a photo showing the river today at 2.75m on the Colwick Guage...

http://twitpic.com/35ci3z

slim

Post by slim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:07 pm

The old helpful Notts CC canoeing sign is now replaced with this:

"No persons other than Anglers allowed on the river bank" !!

Anyone had any problems?

steveg

Post by steveg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

We've had a few 'discussions' with the Bailif and fishermen and made the point that the Trent is a navigation. No-one has argued with that too strongly but the banks are private so we seal launch off the wall in to the main Trent/Canal and paddle under the bridge to the wier. If there are fishermen there we are polite & give them room and if we need a break we get out on to the concrete steps between the two weirs. We also do this to egress the weir then put the boats back in at the top and paddle out the way we came in.
PS - The British Waterways sign that say's "Persons traversing this weir in a canoe do so at their own risk" is still there. We take this as 'permission granted'!

Return to “England - Midlands”