RIVER WYE (Monmouth to Redbrook)

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

RIVER WYE (Monmouth to Redbrook)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:53 pm

ansogura

Re: RIVER WYE (Monmouth to Redbrook)

Post by ansogura » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:12 pm

I paddled this stretch on Wednesday 12th. Oct. 2011. I agree it is a lovely placid stretch suitable for open boats. It is also possible to get out river left just past the bridge by the obvious seal launch site. It's a bit steep but saves the carry over the bridge to the car park. I used Kenny's taxis (Monmouth taxis number didn't work) for the shuttle to Monmouth. He is a paddler himself so knows the score. He was very helpful and well worth the £15 he charged. His number is 07828882432. I encountered several fly fisheremen but they were all friendly and so no problems.

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 pm

There is a car park just by the bridge on your right as you drive from Monmouth to Chepstow where the get out is with free parking. This section is really nice and quite as the open boat highway ends at monmouth. We have always found the fisherman here friendly, including the fly fisherman as long as you are coutious and wait for them to signal you past. There is also severial rock groynes that stick out from the river bank providing chance for ferry gliding and eddie hopping practice. If you pass the redbrook get out the next section can be effected by high tides backing the rievr up and you start to find debri and sea weed in the river when this happens. But if timed correctly you can catch the outgoing tide just after it tuensand then go all the way down to Chepstow marina (behind the tescos) without having to worry about the small weirs that appear in low tide. As this is a busy route for coanoists we have before thumbed lifted easily here but iw ould always recommend you set your own shuttle before hand.
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

Wye Canoes

Post by Wye Canoes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:28 pm

The trip down to Brockweir is fantastic in an open boat, the old quay has been rebuilt and the get out is just before Brockweir bridge on the left hand side. I would only recommend experienced paddlers below this point and there is not really another landing point until Chepstow. As far as the tides go, high tide at Brockweir is approx 4 hours before high tide at Dover, and if travelling to Chepstow try to leave Brockweir no later than 1 hour after high tide. If anyone wanted to do this trip for the first time I would recommend taking a guide, which we can supply. http://www.wyecanoes.com/