RIVER TEME (Ludlow to Ashford Carbonell)

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

RIVER TEME (Ludlow to Ashford Carbonell)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

GaryM

Re: RIVER TEME (Ludlow to Ashford Carbonell)

Post by GaryM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:08 pm

We paddled from the playing fields just below Ludlow Castle down to Little Hereford yesterday (23rd Jan 2010).
I thought that it would be a useful exercise to give an idea of the level against the Fishingwales river levels web site. We started at about 13:30 , and the website gave the level at Ludlow between 1.9 to 2.0 metres, and for information, the boat landing stage off the playing fields was about 3 inches under water.
This was a good level, plenty of areas to play around on the way down, but need to be careful of the two rebuilt weirs in Ludlow, the one below Ludford bridge, large rock at the top of the fish chute was just submerged, and you could run down the fish chute, or go further river left and drop in at the far left of the new weir. Next weir the supposed canoe chute has always looked decidely iffy, and yesterday was no exception looks like you are dropping into a large hole with no exit, but you could run it extreme river right beside the wall no problem. You could by the look have also run it to the left of the old fish pass, but not in the middle, that still looks terminal.
Ashford Carbonnel weir was straightforward, taken about a third of the way in from river left, dropped into 3 standing waves.
From here down, good play waves, especially the river wide wave about 200 metres downstream from the zone of funny water behind the church. We were watched by two very wary horses grazing in the field river left below the big house.
From there down to Little Hereford there is still hay up in the trees from the summer floods of 2008.
Gary Mascall

GaryM

Post by GaryM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm

Paddled today at level on EA gauge of 1.74m. Level was just over the landing stage below Ludlow Castle. Reasonable level, but better a few inches higher.

Paddletastic2 : I think your description of Casemill Weir is wrong, "Canoe Shoot" is 20 metres from bank river right, and sluices are far river left.
Gary Mascall

paddletastic2

Post by paddletastic2 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:02 pm

GaryM wrote:Paddled today at level on EA gauge of 1.74m. Level was just over the landing stage below Ludlow Castle. Reasonable level, but better a few inches higher.

Paddletastic2 : I think your description of Casemill Weir is wrong, "Canoe Shoot" is 20 metres from bank river right, and sluices are far river left.

Not my description I am afraid. This from the BCU's site.

emoss

Post by emoss » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Dec 2011
There are issues with salmon spawning here so some access is being controlled by the EA.

Within 5 mins of us getting to the castle weir car park, a fisherman had arrived to tell us the state of access i.e. there's a voluntary agreement down to Temeside but didn't mention the salmon issue. He was friendly enough and it was non confrontational.

We then saw him further down when he challenged us about the salmon issues. 'no access' signs by the EA are discrete and blamed the EA as opposed to taking ownership of this issue. The signs are about 'willful damage' to the fish and spawning beds, not about 'no canoeing'. We chatted constructively and again it was non confrontational but he was clearly watching us closely. He has also called the police (and openly told us) and we spoke to the policeman at the egress point. The policeman was very relaxed about it and was clear that we'd not broken any law.

The River Advisor advises to stay off the Teme at the mo for canoeing PR reasons. The issues are specifically this year due to low water levels.

Return to “England - Midlands”