RIVER TRENT (Holme Pierrepont Artificial Whitewater Course)

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

RIVER TRENT (Holme Pierrepont Artificial Whitewater Course)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

slim

Shut

Post by slim » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:25 pm

The course is closed from 12th November (from lunchtime) until sometime in Feb 09, for major course modifications.

Check out http://www.hppcc.co.uk for latest info.

Pete C.

Re: RIVER TRENT (Holme Pierrepont Artificial Whitewater Course)

Post by Pete C. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Just had this through from the guys at the course on Monday 7th Sep, 2009:
As you are aware the course reconfiguration was planned for last week.Due to the fire at the HPP canoe club area the changes were not completed.
The work will be carried out tomorrow.
The "pyramid pool" and "looping pool " area will be tweaked with a view to improving the features for the Youth Freestyle and Wild water race event this coming weekend.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Also, the course now has its own site, which is useful for checking when it's open and when it's booked:

http://www.nwscnotts.com/

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:53 pm

From NWSC today:
Following a request from the Freestyle committee we can now confirm that the following adjustments will be made to the course in the next couple of weeks:

- feature in the second pool to be made bigger (similar how it has been for the majority of the summer) - Thursday 24 September

- adjustments may be made to the looping pool and or tardis/revolution hole to create an area for novice freestyle event ( awaiting confirmation from event organiser) Monday 28 September

Long term plan is to have more detailed experimentation and wholesale changes made in October. Bottom section especially to be worked on to see what options are available for next season.

steveg

Post by steveg » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:28 pm

Does anyone know if the recent sewerage & chemical spill into the Trent in Staffordshire will find it's way to HPP?

Rutpaddle

Post by Rutpaddle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:31 pm

steveg wrote:Does anyone know if the recent sewerage & chemical spill into the Trent in Staffordshire will find it's way to HPP?
It was shut yesterday but the website suggests that they are open again today: http://www.nwscnotts.com/

Jules

peteri

Post by peteri » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:01 pm

Spoke to them, and all open again

Pete

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:32 am

From NWSC today:
We are wanting to do some minor adjustments to the course.
To soften the stopper in the 2nd pool
To adjust the "Tardis /Revolution" area.It is currently very flushy, we would like to make the feature as it was in the summer.This will benefit Freestyle selection in November and make rafting better for the remainder of the season.
This work will be carried out over the next two weeks.The work will be done prior to 0800 and should not affect any training sessions.

chelt

Post by chelt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:58 am

The water levels line still doesn't seem to be working is there another gauge to call or has the number changed?

Jon B

Post by Jon B » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:10 am

I have added a section to my blog which will have up to date info on the water level and condition at HPP Nottingham.
I understand my idea of bad water condition may be slightly different from the result of an iron stomach but it will give you a general idea.

http://www.jonbest.blogspot.com

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:32 pm

Got this on Tue from the chaps at the whitewater course. Mixing it up for the winter...
Apologies for the short notice. Following a request from World Class Slalom, we would like to make some adjustments to the course.
As the course is closed to the general public at the moment due to high water levels it is a good opportunity to make the changes tomorrow Wednesday 2nd December 2009, from 10.00- 14.00 hrs.

The plan is to adjust the section from just after the second pool stopper to the Looping Pool. Wherever we have parallel eddies on both sides, we will remove one side and create staggered larger eddies on opposing sides. This should allow paddlers to attain upstream from the Looping Pool to hopefully the top pool and help with training during the winter period. Should any changes be overly detrimental to play features, we will make further tweaks on Thursday to rectify this.

Following the changes, if anyone has any feedback, please speak to Rob or Paul who will take this into consideration. Further changes may be made if necessary.

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:50 am

Just got this through from HPP slalom:
after considering the needs of World Class together with the events calendar and the needs of our core users (freestyle, rafting,and club paddlers etc) we are aiming to set up two course configurations for the summer.

The first configuration must be completed by 1/4/10 in accordance with BCU selection policy.

In order to achieve this we will need to close the course from 10.00 until 1600 on 15/3/10 and on 16/3/10.Following feedback if the course needs tweaking the work will be carried out prior to the elite slot (0800-1000) so no further closure will be needed.

Following the event in May the course will again be reconfigured in June/July once we are aware of the needs of World class for this period.This work will be carried out prior to opening and will not require course closure.

Please feed back to Paul and Rob at the course any comments on the new configurations.

IanHiggs

Post by IanHiggs » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm

Anybody any idea what is happening at HPP on 26 July 2010?
/Ian

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 am

Received this morning from the guys at HPP:
Following Slalom Selection last weekend we will now be re-configuring the white water course during the weeks commencing Mon 4th and Mon 10th May. During this process we will be completing the fitting and trialling of the 'locking mechanism' that some of you may be aware of.

The new configuration will be designed to suit all users with specific attention being paid to improve some key features for both Freestyle and Rafting. We will try to maintain the continuous nature and clearly defined eddies in key slalom sections such as the rapid under the middle bridge.

Some compromises will be made in the bottom section of the course. The right hand eddy will remain in the bottom stopper for the summer while we will aim to improve the tardis/revolution for surfing rafts and for freestyle paddling.

The majority of this work will hopefully be completed on the morning of 7th May (to benefit freestyle team training on 8/9th) with the possibility of further tweaks if necessary the following week.

Going forward, the course should be set for the majority of the summer. We may still receive specific requests to change sections of the course to aid training for certain events. All requests will be carefully considered to ensure that any changes do not adversely affect other users and the user group will receive sufficient notice of any requests to allow for any feedback prior to any approval.

p.r.unicycles

Re: RIVER TRENT (Holme Pierrepont Artificial Whitewater Cour

Post by p.r.unicycles » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm

does anybody know if i will have any trouble using the course if i don't have a 3 star? i don't have any stars but believe i am at 3 star standard,
what are the prices and where do i pay?
thanks
P.R
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

slim

Post by slim » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:24 am

From what I remember, you need to have your three star or be of three star standard - the staff in the White Water Control office can assess you. Your best bet will be to ring them on 0115 9824716 and they can tell you all you need to know.
There is usually a group of paddlers from HPPCC paddling on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings and also Saturday mornings. HPPCC can also help you get your three star if you want to. Take a look at http://www.hppcc.co.uk or drop me an email.
Slim

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Finally got round to visiting HPP for the first time on Friday without a 3* - No problems at all, the lovely young woman behind the till simply said i should have a look before i have a go, get on the water if i'm confident and she'll be walking down every hour, if she sees anything ridiculous i'll be chucked off. All went well and after 3 hours i dragged myself home, VERY tired.

Quick question; Is the inlet gate the best beginners play-spot? this is where i spent pretty much all my time and by the end of the 3 hours, i could paddle it a lot better than i could on my first attempt i am reasonably new to bigger more powerful play waves, So is the inlet gate the best? Or is there a wave that would be better to get to grips with the basics of playing further down?

Cheers
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:09 pm

The inlet gate is very friendly and easy to drop onto,sometimesitcan be a challange to get ofbut once you've workedthat out is a goodplace to begin, the rest of the course takes a bit more skilltogeton and stay on the waves but i'msure you'll be getting there before long

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Rdscott wrote:The inlet gate is very friendly and easy to drop onto,sometimesitcan be a challange to get ofbut once you've workedthat out is a goodplace to begin, the rest of the course takes a bit more skilltogeton and stay on the waves but I'msure you'll be getting there before long

many thanks, i'll stick with the inlet gate, probably best to go down when their is less wind next time though!

Cheers
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks