Bamford to Baslow - Peak District

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
damppaddler

Bamford to Baslow - Peak District

Post by damppaddler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 am

2 of us ran this yesterday

lovely route, grade 2 with one short grade 3 section by Calver Mill (runs next to the road, so could be portaged)

I ran both weirs, Calver Weir, no stopper or tow back, and Baslow, bit steeper, but no stopper or tow back

Ran it at 1.4m on the Chatsworth EA river gauge

Got in at Bamford recreation Park and got out just after the weir at Baslow

Allow a couple of hours and try not to finish in the dark like we did!

andypagett

Re: Bamford to Baslow - Peak District

Post by andypagett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Sounds fun.

I really need to do this. It's the closest (paddleable) bit of river to my house :)

Any fishermen issues etc? I've always been told it's not worth the hassle to do this bit, for risk of having your day ruined by fishermen / landowners.

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Andy

No fishermen and no other access hassles - I'm sure we will be running it again in the next few weeks, I will send you a pm and let you know if you want to join us

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm

damppaddler wrote:No fishermen and no other access hassles
Ah, that's good then :)
I'm sure we will be running it again in the next few weeks, I will send you a pm and let you know if you want to join us
Yeah, that'd be great, thanks for the offer :)

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi. It sounds like a good run. Just did a long paddle today along the river don in sheffield. about 6 miles with about 8 weirs.
I was wondeirng if you have paddled from the lady bower end
http://rainchasers.com/river/derwent-de ... ge-bamford
then is this your rout
http://rainchasers.com/river/derwent-de ... d-froggatt

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:04 am

Teaman wrote:Hi. It sounds like a good run. Just did a long paddle today along the river don in sheffield. about 6 miles with about 8 weirs.
Sounds fun. What were your put in / take out points?
I was wondeirng if you have paddled from the lady bower end
http://rainchasers.com/river/derwent-de ... ge-bamford
then is this your rout
http://rainchasers.com/river/derwent-de ... d-froggatt
I personally haven't paddled from Ladybower - only from Bamford, with damppaddler - though there are a number of people on here that have (PeteK for one, I think). .

Out route was similar to your second link, but continuing as far as Baslow weir instead of stopping at Froggatt.

Pete K

Post by Pete K » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Yep, I've done it from Ladybower to Bamford and Bamford to Froggatt weir on 2 separate occasions.
Not tried it in open boats yet as I wanted to get it sussed in kayaks, which are also easier to get round blockages and bailiffs! There is a PDF guide to the Derwent in the making. Ignore the local tweed brigade, when it's wet enough to paddle there won't be a fisherman in sight. Any questions, fire them my way and I'll see if I can help.
Hopefully we'll have some nice summer rain again so can do it without freezing.

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Andy, this is an older google maps link
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.41 ... 8&t=h&z=18
niagara weir was damaged during the 2007 floods. it was about 10 feet drop. put in there. we car shared althoguh a meet at meadowhall overspill then car share to clay wheels lane is good. Leaving your car in the housing estate is risky. you can seal launch off the bank just up past the new wall. then paddle over and port the weir in low water or paddle over it but there can be quite a tow back then paddle down to meadowhall over the weirs. get out is just under the second bridge just after Hadfield weir which is at meadowhall. river right. then carry boats back to car park. bump and scrap at low levels so unless the water is flowing all the way over niagara its tough going. same problem as your run by the sounds of it. high levels are needed. it was reading .41(empty) on the penistone level on rainchaisers. needs to be showing high med to full to be fun.
i guess you could run the full length from wortley top forge to meadowhall. which will take a long time. roughly 14 miles of grade 1,2 and grade 3 gorge section

RBranston

Post by RBranston » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:25 am

My brother and I are visiting the Peak District the week after next. I have a 2+1 inflatable Sevylor Tahiti boat. I've only been in it a couple of times and we're looking for a suitable place to paddle in the Peak District. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Hi. It all depends on how deep the rivers are. lakes and canals might be your best option with an inflatable. there tends to be rather a lot of sharp rocks around here.

Erewash

Post by Erewash » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:17 pm

We wanted to run this section yesterday and had a look at the take-out at Baslow Weir when we were approached by a scouting ranger of the Chatsworth Estate. He was very friendly and polite but told us that the Chatsworth Estate now takes a hard stance and will take legal action for trespassing against any paddler. He warned us that the rangers were instructed to look out for paddlers, and that all fishermen on this stretch have been asked to immediately phone Chatsworth Security when they spot paddlers.

According to the ranger, Chatsworth Estate until now had kept out of the paddling debate and left it to the fishermen, but this changed when a paddler recently wrote a public letter to the Devonshires in which he proclaimed his right of navigating the Derwent and then did a ceremonial paddling trip. The Devonshires asked their solicitors about it, and - not surprisingly - they came up with the advice to charge all paddlers with trespassing (well, they need to earn their fees). Since we were not particularly keen to fight the key precedent for navigational lawsuits we headed downstream and paddled from Rowsley to Matlock Bath.

Not sure how to proceed, though, because it would be a shame to lose this nice stretch of river. It seems that in the moment there is no chance of a sneaky bandit run down the river, because every ranger and angler is on high alert, and the Estate solicitors seem to be quite keen to drag you to court. Should we do a paddling version of the Kinder Scout mass trespass down the Derwent?

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:19 pm

We need to identify a get out where it either has public access or the land owners permission to walk across it

I have a contact at Baslow sport club - I will start there

Another area to get out which might be public land is between the bridges in Calver

I doubt the threat of persecution would end up in court - 1st they would have to find out who to prosecute, then they would need to prove you were trespassing (which I don't think has ever been done in the courts between a land owner and a kayaker???)

And if they lost it could set a precedent for better access to kayaks and canoes - I think they have more to lose from such a case then they would gain from it.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info Erewash. If it helps, that stretch isn't really do-able until this gauge - http://rainchasers.com/river/derwent-de ... d-froggatt - gets to around 1.5m (and I seem to remember damppaddler saying he'd done it at 1.3 and it wasn't enjoyable), so you didn't miss out on that particular day.
damppaddler wrote:I have a contact at Baslow sport club - I will start there
Good idea. I have one too if you need more support. A good example to show to them might be the two rugby clubs on the mersey that allow paddlers use their land (and changing facilities).

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Also.... I think this footpath goes under the bridge... you could probably land next to it... I'll check next time I'm passing :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.26678 ... p3hoHw!2e0

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:27 pm

Calver Takeout.... shortly after the Gd 3 rapid, break out river right immediately after the first road bridge. There's a massive eddy, a flat bit to land on and a path through the shrubbery to the place shown in the link above. Sorted.

Paddled from Bamford to Calver today. No issues other than one landowner looking guy taking some photos of us. Level was 1.7 which we'd say was a good medium flow. Based on other times I've paddled it and walked past it, I'd have a punt at

1.3 - scrape
1.5 low
1.7 medium
1.9 high

(Chatsworth gauge) If any rainchasers people are reading, might be worth adding those, cos at the moment it's either empty or low (even if really it's out in the fields!)