No Canoe Launching sign - River Derwent - Darley Bridge

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
damppaddler

No Canoe Launching sign - River Derwent - Darley Bridge

Post by damppaddler » Tue May 07, 2013 3:44 pm

went down the derwent between Darley Bridge and Matlock Bath at the weekend and noticed the new 'no canoe launching' sign put up by the Matlock Angling Club

from there website:
Directors Meeting.
The latest meeting took place on the 5th April. There was a discussion with regards to day tickets at Matlock Bath, the paper shop that sold the tickets for the club has closed and another could not be found. After arguing all the pros and cons, it was voted to finish the day tickets and make all club waters available to members only. The strimmer and pruning saw has been purchased and already been put to use. The new signs have started to be put up by Nigel Ellis and are looking really good. It was reported that canoes are using our land at Darley Bridge as a launching area, to try and stop this it was voted to erect fencing and put up new signs to try and put a stop to it. The club is a member of the Angling Trust, this provides various benefits including a public liability insurance.

Does anyone know who owns the land? I always assumed the land was owned by the EA, I called them and they don't think they do

Does anyone know any history about launching at Darley Bridge? Who built the path? How long has it been in use for launching?

andypagett

Re: No Canoe Launching sign - River Derwent - Darley Bridge

Post by andypagett » Thu May 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Interesting. As far as I am aware, local clubs have been launching at Darley Bridge there since God was a lad. Don't know who owns the land though.

In all the times I have got on there I certainly didn't know it belonged to the fishing club, and have never seen anyone fishing there!

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Building up quite a collection of No Canoeing signs on the Derwent :)

SWAMP MONSTER

Post by SWAMP MONSTER » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 pm

Just out of curiosity; how would they prosecute you?

Do they follow you to the take out point?

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am

SWAMP MONSTER wrote:Just out of curiosity; how would they prosecute you?

Do they follow you to the take out point?
I think the "offenders will be prosecuted" is aimed at non members fishing
But written in a way that makes it look like canoe launchers will be prosecuted too

Does anyone know the procedure for getting a frequently used path made into a public right of way?

marinmick

Post by marinmick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:09 pm

where do the rafts launch from darley dale.. I'm surprised the fishermen have not tried to stop them .??

damppaddler

Post by damppaddler » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Yesterday they were launching just north of the bridge, river left - end of the pub car park?

marinmick

Post by marinmick » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Im surprised nothing has been said about the rafts... bet a few pockets have been lined..

roodthomas

Post by roodthomas » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi peoples,

Local knowledge is that the fishermen have purchased the jetty which paddlers are known to use. Therefore yes paddlers are trespassing by using it... unfortunately.

Having spoken to a few of the raft guides, they have been taking groups to the pub on river left and using their facilities. Where they are getting on I'm not sure. The rafters are a commercial venture so naturally some pockets will be lined somewhere along the line.

There have always been tensions on that area of land, sadly, and also further down the river. This is a classic case of what the article in the bbc was talking about the other day. Why can't it be paddled is one question... the real question is who's land is crossed to paddle it. All I can suggest is ask the fishermen/pub for access and it may open up a negotiation of when/who could paddle!?

Andrew Thomas

Return to “England - Midlands”