NORTH EAST WATER LEVELS

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Paul L

Re: TEES WATER LEVELS

Post by Paul L » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Tees looked a decent level about 11 am today, drove over Whorlton bridge went on and paddled the Greta (again) really good level on the Greta no tree blockages today except the one thats always been there. Would think the Tees was quite good right up to the upper as the water was really brown and as I said a decent level on the Lower.

Cheers

Paul

MattBibbings

Re: WHARFE WATER LEVELS

Post by MattBibbings » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Had a quick blast from Kilnsey to Linton today and found a normal winter level. High enough for everything to be fun, low enough for Linton Falls to be none too scary.

Should just hold this level for a Sunday Morning trip tomorrow.

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 am

Ok so there's rain on the way from about 9 tonight and all through tomorrow.

There should in theory be enough to start bringing things up (everything is still dog-low at the moment), but if anyone out there living on the banks of the Tees, etc would like to stick there head out the door and give a visual report first thing tomorrow, it would be much appreciated!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Re: SWALE WATER LEVELS

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:40 am

I was shocked to hear that the Upper Swale was running on Monday evening and saw a couple of cheeky descents! I can only assume there was snowmelt occurring.

There's rain due in tonight, so if anyone locally would like to give a visual report on the Swale first thing tomorrow, it would be much appreciated!

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Do you think it will be runnable? Thanks!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:51 pm

The Tees was more than runnable! Upper was about the highest I've ever paddled it! All lines available on dog-leg and the sneak line had opened up round the horseshoe. There seemed to be more water than was warranted for the amount of rain - maybe Cow Green was on full release as well?

Bit worrying to see all the rescue services there when we arrived, but glad to hear all was well.
Will hold at a good level for tomorrow I would think.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I thought it would go at a low level, so was pleased to see it at a good medium when we got to Wain wath at about 10:30 - great fun as ever!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 am

Tees was looking at a reasonable level this morning as I passed over it South of Darlo. Most of the ditches had water flowing in them and even the mighty Skerne looked paddleable.

Hopefully should hold for tomorrow.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Ran Coniston to Burnsall today. Lowish levels but not scrapey. Linton went smoothly! Some guys in inflatable dingys followed us down - good comedy!

There was a fisherman on Linton - turned out to be the landowner, but he seemed perfectly happy to draw his line in while we ran the falls, which was a nice change!

HarryWats0n

Post by HarryWats0n » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Bit worrying to see all the rescue services there when we arrived, but glad to hear all was well.

Everything was in hand, The ambulance services sent out the other services just as a precaution, everyone is ok and all kit is returned and we have managed to find a peak slalom paddle! check this out http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 32&t=61880

Thanks all!

Paul Stewart

Post by Paul Stewart » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:10 pm

With rain forecast for most of the week, will this hold to make the Upper Swale paddlable for Sat or Sun?

I'm thinking of running Upper to Richmond Falls, is this approx 20 miles, anyone know if it's possible in one day and if so average paddle trip time?

Any help appreciated as would be driving up in the early hours from Norfolk to tick this off my list of must do trips!

Ta
Paul

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Paul Stewart wrote:With rain forecast for most of the week, will this hold to make the Upper Swale paddlable for Sat or Sun?
Possibly! Hard to say until Friday night I'm afraid, its been raining a reasonable amount over the last 24 hours.
Paul Stewart wrote:I'm thinking of running Upper to Richmond Falls, is this approx 20 miles, anyone know if it's possible in one day and if so average paddle trip time?
That's a mission and a half! It looks approx 20 miles on the map, but as a hint it takes 45 mins to drive from Richmond to Keld. I think you'd be looking at 6-7 hours paddling without hanging about! Water levels will obviously make a huge difference depending on how much of a boost you get from the flow! If it's your first time down the gorge don't rush it! The rest is pretty flat/wave trains so easy enough to bomb down.

If its high, then add on the extra 3 miles of Whitsundale Beck to add further challenge!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 am

Tees was out of its banks and in the trees this morning as my train passed over it south of Darlington. I'd guess it will remain big for several days with this rain. Looking good for the Easter weekend!

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:25 pm

EA gauge says at Barney at 3am today it reads 0.459 ABOVE summer and RISING! Looks good!

G32turbo

Post by G32turbo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:16 pm

With water levels as low as I've seen for a long time this may not bother you too much at the moment. About 200 metres downstream of Abbey Bridge, river left, theres a tree down covering half of the river. It's right on a small rapid that will only be passable with care on the right when the water levels come back up. Even with more water it should still be visible though.

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue May 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:That's a mission and a half! It looks approx 20 miles on the map, but as a hint it takes 45 mins to drive from Richmond to Keld. I think you'd be looking at 6-7 hours paddling without hanging about!
Now then Pullen, don't you remember our High Force to Winston Bridge "in a day" mission a few years back? Thats about 20 miles and took us 5-6 hours in medium water levels, even including a mini lunchbreak. So long as there's water it'd be a good day out!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

stevecane

Post by stevecane » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:56 pm

The Tees is finally up! Medium level this evening with more rain forecast and drainage ongoing it should be good for the weekend.

PS see the post above, the tree hazard is stil there 300 m below bridge at the bottom of Abbey. It's on river left, covers over half of the river and takes the main flow.

Ste
today is the tomorrow that you promised yourself yesterday...

Wilf

TREE WARNING - Abbey Rapids to Whorlton Lido

Post by Wilf » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:01 pm

BAD strainer in the gorge about 300m below Abbey rapids. Low water conditions today and run-able of river right. In higher flows a REAL problem. It is blocking the ideal line down the rapid and a capsize at the bottom of Abbey in higher flows could well be catastrophic.

Wilf 12.6.10
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Jim Pullen

Re: TYNE WATER LEVELS

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:39 am

There was some heavy rain yesterday and Fish Tyne seems to indicate the Tyne system is well up (3+ft on the North Tyne this morning).

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 am

I got a nano-second glimpse of the Tees as my train passed over it this morning, couldn't see any rocks at all, so am guessing it's well up after the heavy rain. If you can get out mid-week enjoy!

Andrew Battye

Post by Andrew Battye » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Paddled Linton Falls this evening. The river was at a lowish level but alot higher than when I saw it last week!

das bump

Post by das bump » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Upper was low at 4pm but by 5.30 was pumping. Still a light rain when we got off so could stay topped up with more rain on the way!

Enjoy

G

Paul L

Post by Paul L » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Tees and Greta both well up today.

Cheers

PAUL

das bump

Post by das bump » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Paddled the Conistone to Linton Section today, level was up with barely any shelf showing at Linton. Dropped about 6inches while we were around though so wont be great at the weekend without more rain.

G

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 am

das bump wrote:Paddled the Conistone to Linton Section today, level was up with barely any shelf showing at Linton. Dropped about 6inches while we were around though so wont be great at the weekend without more rain.

G
Cheers for that, looking at the EA gauge for Grassington The level started at a peak of 1.34m at midnight then dropped throughout the day to the 0.3m its at now. At midday it was around 0.67m. What time did you actually paddle at?

das bump

Post by das bump » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 pm

We got to linton at 10.30 when everything was covered. By the time we got back down around 2.15 the level had dropped such that some of the river left shelf was showing.

I should have some pictures of the fall at around 2pm if that would help.

G

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:47 am

das bump wrote:I should have some pictures of the fall at around 2pm if that would help.
Yeah stick some pictures up please, it'll give a good visual reference. Before the data disappears note that the gauge was approx 0.75m at 1030 and about 0.60m by 2pm. Those 15cms difference fit nicely with your 6 inches estimate!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:37 pm

Upper Tees was running at a good low level this morning, EA gauges at both Middleton and Barnard Castle at around 0.7m. Wish I'd got a paddle in last night - everything seemed to peak at around 9pm, being double the current levels and the Greta up to about 0.8m on its gauge. Anyone else get out?

Rory W

Post by Rory W » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:Other information in the pipeline, but it seems to be a long process! Watch this space...
Don't suppose you've heard any more about this?

We were driving up to the Upper this evening expecting a quick low water blast down. The river was low all the way up - rocky on the bit after Middleton, could see all the rocks in Salmon Leap. By the time we got to the put in it had gone up probably a couple of feet to a massive, all the rocks in the middle of Salmon Leap and Low Force covered, all the back channels flowing, regretting all bringing playboats and no throwbags, almost as high as I've ever paddled it kind of level. I guess someone just turned the taps on? Had a bit of rain today but not much, and not a significant amount forecast.

Would be great if we could find out when this sort of release was going to happen. Or even if they don't plan it in advance if there could be somewhere online that said if it was going.

Just a shame I forgot my camera.

Return to “England - Northeast”