NORTH EAST WATER LEVELS

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Jim Pullen

Re: TEES WATER LEVELS

Post by Jim Pullen »

Damn! Didn't have much to do today, would have headed up there if I'd known. I wish there was some way of knowing when Cow Green was due to release!

Edit: Ok, decided to do something about this and have emailed the Environment Agency about making the release dates available in advance, if they can do it for Kielder Water then I don't see why they can't do it for Cow Green. Watch this space!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

davedraperdesign

Post by davedraperdesign »

Sorry Jim but I have done it again today as well... same level... you have missed a lovely weekend...

just rubbin it in a little!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Looks like it's releasing again. The gauge says 0.14m at Barny, so not really enough for the middle section, but the Racecourse will go as will the upper. I'm running the racecourse this afternoon and might do the upper tomorrow morning if I can find anyone to go with.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Turned out to be a decent level! Nice big bouncy stuff from Eggleston to Cotherstone. Looks like the slalomists were at Abbey, but the section also had enough water in it. Will be doing the Upper early tomorrow, and I imagine everything will still be going at good levels, unless someone switches off Cow Green!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Tees had dropped off a fair bit today. Did the Upper at a low level, it was possible to get down without scraping, but there was some rock dodging to be done!

Doubt the lower sections would be runnable.

MattBibbings

Re: WHARFE WATER LEVELS + Twitter Feed

Post by MattBibbings »

Massive today at 5pm.

Jim Pullen

Re: TEES WATER LEVELS + Twitter Feed

Post by Jim Pullen »

Hi all,

Just wondering if people are making use of my Twitter updates on the Tees levels? I pass over the Tees at about 820 on the train every morning, so if it's obviously up I've been sending a text in. Is this worth my while?

For those that haven't read my Twitter update, the Tees still looked pretty full at Darlington this morning.

Cheers,
Jim.

Rory W

Post by Rory W »

Please don't stop posting river levels, will have a look and try and work out how to use this twitter thing, thanks a lot, Rory

izzykayak

Swale levels tomorrow Fri 6th

Post by izzykayak »

As we missed the Swale Charity Paddle earlier this year we have an inkling to padlle the Grinton to Richmond section tomorrow en route to the Tyne. Anyone have any idea of the present level?
izzykayak rules!!!

Jim Pullen

Re: Swale levels tomorrow Fri 6th

Post by Jim Pullen »

There's been showers this week after it was huge on Sunday, so it's not going to be massive, but should be better than it has been for most of the charity paddles!

The Tees would probably be a better bet if you get there and find it too low.

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl »

Swale was very big last Sunday - people did Grinton to Richmond in a bit over an hour and
were ahead of the flood, so it would have been faster later. Swale drops off pretty quick,
I doubt there has been enough rain to make it worthwhile tomorrow (but, as Jim says,
it will still be higher than on most recent CPs), but at least Richmond Falls ought to be
runnable.

The Tees today was a decent level, possibly on the high side for a first time down
Abbey rapids (we had one swimmer, and it certainly wasn't his first time). It's been
dry today and the level was definitely down on yesterday, so I'd expect it lower
tomorrow. Racing stretch or Cotherstone Barney would be good at a slightly lower
level, it may still be a bit high for some people on the Upper.

Look at the Swale on your way north - you can get an idea at Richmond if you are
familiar with the run, but the best gauge is at Grinton Bridge (the one on the middle
bridge pier, not the one on the right bank). Over two feet is well up, under six inches
will be a scrape, but do-able in maybe three to four hours. Just touching the gauge
will be do-able but painful and tedious and anything below that you really should
stay off the river at this time of year.

We've paddled the Swale repeatedly this year, including in summer, and had none
of the old access hassles.

Andy

Wilf

Post by Wilf »

Just nipped out and checked.

Pretty low, but just about runable tonight. By tomorrow, the Tees will be a much better bet.

Have fun

Wilf
Pyranha
Mitchell Blades
kayak coach . co . uk

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Hmmm, for some reason my twitter text didn't get through this morning - must have been the same mysterious force which caused my train to stay stationary outside York for an hour and a half...

Anyway, its dropped again, I rang the gauge as I was bored and it said 0.11m at BC. Probably means the Upper and Racecourse will go, but a bit too low for Abbey. Hopefully they'll be a bit of rain later today to top things up.

stevecane

Post by stevecane »

Tees at Darlington was quite low this morning (Sat).

Ste
today is the tomorrow that you promised yourself yesterday...

chief

Post by chief »

Yeah we paddled upper wharfe down to hubberholm bridge on sunday 1st was certainly big and moving rather quickly although water levels did drop while we were there! Some of the nice bouncy waves turned into interesting stoppers but still a good day out!

RichA

Post by RichA »

Any predictions for Tees levels on Sat/Sun with the current forecast? Thinking of club trip options.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

RichA wrote:Any predictions for Tees levels on Sat/Sun with the current forecast? Thinking of club trip options.
I'll quote my Tweet from the first page!
Jim Pullen wrote:Tees looking big this morning and likely to get bigger with further rain due
It was well up south of Darlington and with more rain later should remain med/high through Saturday, probably dropping back to med/low on Sunday.

I'd go for Racecourse section for Saturday and Barny to Winston for Sunday for club levels or Upper/Barney for Saturday more experienced paddlers fun levels.

peteV

Levels on the Tees/South Tyne

Post by peteV »

Hey

I'm running a uni trip to the Tees area this weekend and was just wondering if anyone knew what the levels were like at the moment, looks like theres been quite a lot of water coming down!

Also any suggestions for river for beginners if the Tees gets too high, so far been suggested the Ure or Lower Swale...

cheers

pete

Chrace

Re: Levels on the Tees/South Tyne

Post by Chrace »

We were surfing the wavetrain at the campsite at Slenningford Water Mill (Ure) on Sunday. The whole place was grade 3/3+. Normally this is a pretty perfect place for beginners (grade 2/2+) so I hope it will have dropped a lot for the weekend for you guys.

I would expect (hope!) the Tees running at medium/medium-high this weekend, I'm sure Jim Pullen or geyrfugl will know better.

Jim Pullen

Re: Levels on the Tees/South Tyne

Post by Jim Pullen »

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 1&start=90

Already looked pretty full this morning, with more to come.

RichA

Post by RichA »

Thanks Jim. I don't understand this Twitter stuff (nor do I want to!) but after looking back to the first page I can't see where you're quoting yourself from. Probably something to do with the work firewall blocking it. Thanks for the tip off anyway.

GLC GAV

Swale saturday/sunday

Post by GLC GAV »

hey guys, anyone know what the gnarly swale will be upto this weekend? cheers Gav

jmmoxon

Re: Swale saturday/sunday

Post by jmmoxon »

Will be running overnight - so tomorrow morning your best chance...

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Hmmmm, that's strange, I would have thought if you could see the forum you could see the stuff embedded in it?

Anyway its been torrential here for the last few hours, if its anything like that about 20-30miles upstream the Tees and all tribs will be going off in the morning.

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

Big enough for all stretches today at a mid to high level. Will still be sporting on Sunday and probably hold a good level for anything from kilnsey down all week.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

If anyone is interested, I have received the following tipbit from the EA regarding whether there is a set minimum flow which has to reach Darlington, therefore meaning Cow Green has to release if there is insufficient rain:
EA person wrote:Yes there is a set flow - a minimum maintained flow as we call it. The abstraction licence that allows NWL to take water at Broken Scar states that the flow is not allowed to fall to less than 1.47 cubic metres per second (or 127Mld) downstream of the abstraction.
Other information in the pipeline, but it seems to be a long process! Watch this space...

MattBibbings

Re: WHARFE WATER LEVELS

Post by MattBibbings »

Wharfe is in full spate today (seen at Otley and Burnsall). At this rate Sat and Sunday should offer plenty of options, potentially very high Saturday.

Jim Pullen

Re: WEAR WATER LEVELS

Post by Jim Pullen »

I've had a report that the Wear is huge this morning. If anyone's off work - enjoy!

Jim Pullen

Re: TYNE WATER LEVELS

Post by Jim Pullen »

Not sure if anyone's noticed, but it seems the whole Tyne system has just hit a 12 month high!

MattBibbings

Post by MattBibbings »

EA gauge @ Barnard Castle was showing 0.716m above and rising @3am on Wednesday.

This means everything from Abbey down at least will be high. I heard on the news that it was nearly out of its banks at Barney at 5pm ish today!

Will update it tomorrow but expect it to rise alot!

Return to “England - Northeast”