LITTLE EGGLESHOPE BECK

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

LITTLE EGGLESHOPE BECK

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:42 pm

geyrfugl

Re: LITTLE EGGLESHOPE BECK

Post by geyrfugl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Took us a lot longer than 10 minutes - though it was perhaps "Bob Evans Low" after too much playing whatabout as the snowmelt lost momentum. I've enough video from one trip to make a feature length movie...

He's right that there's a shortage of eddies - and rarely is the beck wide enough to actually break out into what slack water there is. This is a pity, as the gamekeeper has put two logs across with carnivore traps on top, to reduce predation on the grouse. Whether these are effective at catching weasels, mink, stoats and so on, I've no idea (I've never seen anything trapped in one) but they are very effective traps for canoeists who come round a corner to see one ahead with nothing remotely resembling an eddy. The second one today could *just* be snuck under (as long as you didn't leave your paddle caught on it, as I did).

If paddling in snowmelt, be aware that it's very exposed to the elements, so cold water + wind makes for very cold extremities. OTOH it's rarely deep enough to swim if you do bale out, and it's never far from the road.

On the bright side, there are no stock fences and no trees to fall in anywhere.

Andy

geyrfugl

Re: LITTLE EGGLESHOPE BECK

Post by geyrfugl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Some impressions of the ditch at this level: