RIVER DON (Stocksbridge to Oughtibridge)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

RIVER DON (Stocksbridge to Oughtibridge)

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Andy H

Re: RIVER DON (Stocksbridge to Oughtibridge)

Post by Andy H » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi All
Paddled the river Don yesterday 15th Nov 2009 and it has a tree which has fallen right accross the river on the Exit of the grade 3 section. The tree is just passable in low water as you can just limbo under it with care. but will be a major problem in high flows with a risk to life. Please inspect before running this section.

The tree is pretty big and wont be moving for a while, it proberbly needs a chainsaw

Cheers Andy
The true challenge is allways within oneself

steveg

Post by steveg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi,
We're thinking of running the Don this weekend. Does anyone know if the tree is still a problem?
cheers
Steve.

andy wa

Post by andy wa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Paddled the section below this to Meadowhall last friday in opens, the river was fairly low, bit scrapy on some of the rapids but all the weirs were fine. One portage around a double drop vertical weir. Met many friendly fishermen. Nice enough trip for a city paddle. cheers andy

kirmit

Post by kirmit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:52 pm

The double drop is quite nice in a kayak. We did it from deepcar down to kalam island in the city when we had a lot of rain few weeks ago. It does need a fair bit of rain not to be a scrape.

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 pm

andy wa wrote:Paddled the section below this to Meadowhall last friday in opens, the river was fairly low, bit scrapy on some of the rapids but all the weirs were fine. One portage around a double drop vertical weir. Met many friendly fishermen. Nice enough trip for a city paddle. cheers andy
Any info on gauges levels for the Stocksbridge - Oughtibridge or Oughtibridge to Meadowhall section? Thinking of looking at this soon.

Cheers

kirmit

Post by kirmit » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm sure it was 1.4 ish when we did deepcar to Sheffield and it was high. It does take a fair bit of rain and doesn't stay up long.

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi. Ive just joined the community.
Fairly new to paddling as I've been doing it since may this year but have come on quite well.
I live in deepcar and last sunday did a run from The gorge section to sheffield canoe club.
Ive started a south yorks kayak and canoe page on facebook to help the local community to get together for runs.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Canoeing ... 3378267259

I also filmed the entire paddle and uploaded to youtube.
If you want to watch me capsize in the gorge and then the rest capsize at the end in 2 feet of water this is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... s0OEHXln1s

I think what Kirmit says is correct. 2 days before we paddled it I checked it and thought it looked scrappy. Heavy rain on saturday night made it rise a foot and that made it a good run.
I might paddle it tomorrow, if not I'll just paddle at sheffield canoe club. oughtibridge.

As for the run to meadowhall I am trying to arrange a paddle on the 7th of december from either oughtibridge or neepsend at the broken weir.
the facebook page is what Im trying to sort the run on. I'll know more possibly after tomorrow when I talk to people at the club.

Stu

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi.Levels were ok 3rd november. did run from gorge to oughtibridge.Further up stream at the checkered bridge the car park bit is not accessible with your car although you can park a little further up the road fine.putting in is ok there on foot but the 1st weir is a NO GO.That nasty bridge made from girders and railway sleepers has been removed but scaffold is still covering the river.(currently) further down stream after wharncliffe side where there is a bridge made from a telegraph pole and planks its passable underneath at the moment. (quite wide point of river so levels are fairly constant.)none os us realy had to duck.I have posted a full run from gorge to oughtibridge vid on youtube. watch if you want. sorry for swears.:)http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... heers.#stu

yukon77

Post by yukon77 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:52 am

We paddled the River Don from Forge Lane near Stocksbridge to Coronation Park in Oughtibridge. Just a few hundred meters from the get in point the river under washed the bank on left hand side and because of that a pole and some barb wire over hang of that side of the river. We did it at low level without causing any problems but in a higher level the barb wire can be in neck high. Apart from that there are generally a lot of fallen three and different debris in the water. The river level was 0.47m checking on the rain chaser and I consider the trip being scrapy

Teaman

Post by Teaman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:43 pm

Has this since been cleared or the land owner made aware?
also was the broken weir further down runable straight through or do you still have to dog leg it?