River Allen tree hazards

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Steve Agar

River Allen tree hazards

Post by Steve Agar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:25 pm

Although this post should end up in the "Rivers" section, given the upcoming Tyne Tour I want to ensure that people are aware that the nearby Allen should not be considered an option this weekend. Apart from the fact that it's almost rock bottom, there are a number of tree hazards that could prove very, very unpleasant.Although the National Trust has been working hard to remove trees, there are still some really nasty potential strainers. In particular, where the bank has collapsed following the shallow section with meadow on the left there are two trees that enter the river at an angle and could trap the bow of a boat underneath as they slope downstream, followed by a tree completely across the river at what will be between waist height and boat height at medium to high levels. Removing it is proving problematic. Portage is not easy, so I would recommend not paddling the river still, even though it's one of my favourites. The right line of Hag Fall has new trees in it, and the left line has an overhanging tree.
There are also two trees across the river between Plankey Mill and Ridley Hall, But the NT is going to attempt to remove them in mid-November.
I can provide photos of the hazards at very low water (today) if anyone wishes to see more.

Steve Agar

Re: River Allen tree hazards

Post by Steve Agar » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:41 pm

We've managed to reduce the hazards somewhat - removed the tree across the river completely, and sawn off the stubs from the diagonal pines, and NT says that the trees between Plankey Mill and Ridley Hall are now against the bank. There are still plenty of trees to avoid, but the river should now be paddleable again, but with caution! High water levels will probably bring more changes, so be prepared, and play it safe rather than run anything blind.