Keswick Greta

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Glyn B

Keswick Greta

Post by Glyn B »

What level (on the Low Briery EA gauge) does the marker on the bridge at the get in correspond to?

simple chris

Re: Keswick Greta

Post by simple chris »

Pretty sure it's about 0.95.

Slime

Post by Slime »

0.95 or 1.00.

Some of we locals reckon that the white line level represents an ideal level in terms of water level for paddling - giving you the most fun with some good waves for surfing and some nice deep eddies for vertical moves. Below this level and its is more of a rock dodge, less pushy and perhaps more friendly. I personally would not want to paddle it below about 7. Above 1.00 and the features start washing out.

Local feeling is that changes in the river mean that the Greta has got more dangerous over the last five years and is no longer the nice friendly intro to intermediate paddling that it used to be. Perhaps half a grade harder than old guide books indicate.

Having said all that, it is a beautiful and fantastic river to paddle. It looks like the Greta and many other fine Lake District rivers, will be running this weekend.

Enjoy,

Pete Knowles.

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Many thanks for the information. The Greta is one of my favourite rivers and now I know what the mark signifies will be spending a lot more time running it now. :-)

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 »

What point on the Greta are you reading level from? I've found that 1.0 on Glendermackin at Threlkeld equals exactly level with the bridge marker. Don't think I'd run it much lower than this, maybe 0.9 min. What I don't know is when it becomes a monster above this level. Ran it at 1.2 and it was still a brilliant run. The other thing is it falls so quickly so if it was reading say 0.9 at 5 in the morning with no further rain it would probably be way too low if you were getting on say at 11 or so.

Another Greta question......last time we ran it the pencil factory get out was cut off by the flood defences programme. What is happening now?

Slime

Post by Slime »

The level on the Glendarmakin is only half the story as St Johns Beck joins downstream of Threlkeld and if Thirlmere is releasing this can bring in more volume than the other. Flood prevention work has now been all completed and access is I think all reinstated - Haven't personally checked it though. Have fun!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

All good info, thanks guys. I'll stick a note into the guide.

With reference to the Glenderamackin gauge, does anyone know how high this needs to be for the run above to go?

Cheers!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

callwild

Post by callwild »

The EA Glenderamackin gauge is at Threlkeld which is just above the confluence of The Greta and St John's Beck.
Whereas the fun part of The Glenderamackin which is in Rockrat's guide write up is much further upstream above the confluences of both The Troutbeck and Mosedale Beck. The EA Guage will therefore have no use in determining levels in the Upper Glenderamackin.
It will only giver an indication that its wet in the area.
This guage will be useful to give a level for the Grade 2 section down to Threlkeld which is a good straightforward run but lined with lots of trees which unfortunately spoils what would otherwise be a good beginners run. It is very rarely done so no level has been observed yet. I'll get around to having a look soon as it may help improve the amount of traffic it gets once a good level is established.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

callwild wrote:This guage will be useful to give a level for the Grade 2 section down to Threlkeld which is a good straightforward run but lined with lots of trees which unfortunately spoils what would otherwise be a good beginners run. It is very rarely done so no level has been observed yet. I'll get around to having a look soon as it may help improve the amount of traffic it gets once a good level is established.
Cheers Stu. I ran that section once with a beginner group and never again - ended up fighting through loads of fallen trees for a lot of flat water.

I would imagine that Mosedale, Troutbeck and the upper Glenderamackin all have similar run off times, so the gauge may be a useful indication for all three? (But obviously not an absolute!)
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

simple chris

Post by simple chris »

Jim Pullen wrote:Cheers Stu. I ran that section once with a beginner group and never again - ended up fighting through loads of fallen trees for a lot of flat water.
I had a very similar experience on the Glenderamackin a couple of years ago, it definitely wasn't suitable for freshers!
Slime wrote:The level on the Glendarmakin is only half the story as St Johns Beck joins downstream of Threlkeld and if Thirlmere is releasing this can bring in more volume than the other.
Do you know if the dam releases into St John's Beck are scheduled in advance (if so, any way of finding out when?)?

Chris

Return to “England - Northwest”