North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Mark R

RIVER RAWTHEY

Post by Mark R » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:20 pm

*Guy*

Tree

Post by *Guy* » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Hey folks,

There's a right old party tree fairly soon after Rawthey Bridge. It's in a small drop and its two trunks completely block the river as one's in the water and the other just above. Portage on the left.

It's a fair big beast, so I expect it'll be there a while.

Rockrat

Re: Tree

Post by Rockrat » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:59 pm

*Guy* wrote:Hey folks,

There's a right old party tree fairly soon after Rawthey Bridge. It's in a small drop and its two trunks completely block the river as one's in the water and the other just above. Portage on the left.

It's still there. Definitely unrunnable especially as the hole is grippy in the best of times.
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Mike Millington, 11/11/06 wrote:The tree in Loup falls has now gone. The only tree in the river at present is between the first & second gorge ie just above the conglomerate gorge. It spans the entire river but you can sneak under the left side at low levels and over the top on the right in medium levels.I know this after a very very long but excellent day. We were on the lower Clough at just gone 7.30 at a medium level. We then got on a "falling" Rawthey ie a low paddleable level.Upon doing the car shuttle upon finishing we noticed the Rawthey had risen considerably and was now at a very nice medium level.The speed these rivers go up and down is just ridiculous so it was just to good an opportunity to miss so we got on again !! The first trip took around 3 hours this second one took just over an hour and the river had risen by another foot by the time we got off in the dark.Next day it had fallen completely and was unpaddleable. The difference the level makes is unbelievable. Although paddleable when low I personally don't think it does the river justice. A little more water just transforms it and you can see why it has a reputation as a fantastic river. Good indicators of the level are at the get in, opposite where the beck tumbles in is a rocky beach on river left.If this is covered the level will be a good level. Also there is a fall you can see from the road on a bend over a wall. If only the two shoots on river right are showing it is low. Ideally you want water flowing all over this fall.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Helen Wigmore, York Canoe Club, 26/11/06 wrote:Update on trees, having paddled this yesterday (26 Nov 2006) in low water.

1)There is a large tree across the gorge a short distance below Loup Falls - in low water we were able to easily go under this on the left hand side, however an extra foot or so of water could well make this a challenge (and I'm not sure what eddies would exist before it in those conditions). Add an extra 2 foot + and I suspect you would be able to go over it right of centre.

2)Further downstream there are two trees down within a metre or so of each other, again totally crossing the gorge. The lowest of these was about 4 feet above water level when we paddled it, so not an issue. Could well be a different story when the river is high, especially since the walls of the gorge were very enclosed and steep at that point - getting out didn't look to be easy...
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

woodsy

Re: RIVER RAWTHEY

Post by woodsy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:35 pm

The tree (as photographed by rockrat) is still there, bout 150m downstream of Rawthey bridge.

El Pres

Post by El Pres » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:16 pm

We beat that B*tch like a red headed step child !!!

The Tebay wrecking crew.

Rockrat

Post by Rockrat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:31 pm

El Pres wrote:
We beat that B*tch like a red headed step child !!!

The Tebay wrecking crew.
Were you the guys that sorted the wood problem on Wasdale Beck as well. If so great job, but the farmer seemed a bit p**sed off about kayakers being in the valley and cutting trees or someit. Had a little run in with him when I was on the beck the other week
Iain Robinson
rockratrobinson

El Pres

Post by El Pres » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Iain
No that tree was on my list to do, but saw your blog about you running the beck and that the tree had been cut back, so saved me a job. The farmer thing, suppose its an awkward call and not one I had really thought about, kayaking on the river and chopping a tree out are completely different, but not a post Im going to start !!!!

Take it easy, go have fun on the Rawthey next time it rains without having the portage.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Just off the river (which rose over 6 inches while i was on it................!! Whilst not free of trees the river is completely paddleable (all main falls are tree free). A couple of trees down in the gorge but easily avoidable & various trunks sticking in the water from the bank in places but again easy to avoid. The main problem was tree branches covered in leaves weighed down & hanging in the river.
Born to paddle................forced to work.

Mark Dillon

Barbed wire on Lower Rawthey

Post by Mark Dillon » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Paddled the Lower Rathwey from Sedbergh and only noticed barbed wire fastened to posts into mid river as we approached it. The wire is on the last rapid just above the bridge at the usual 'get out' before the Lune confluence. It comes into mid river from the river right bank and is fastened to some solid posts into the river bed. Its easy to get arond it and doesn't spoil the rapid but needs watching for. It is visible from the bridge if you know what you are looking for, I will be fastening some tapes to it to make it more visible but its too solid to remove the posts.
Mark

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Managed a sneaky low water run on Saturday. Just be aware there is tree across the river after the first fall from when you get in. You can paddle between the branches hanging into the water but it may be a different proposition if there was much more water flowing through ! Also check out the Wildlife, saw a red squirrel sat happily on the bank, plus a deer drinking from a pool,plus assorted Buzzards,Herons,Kingfishers,ducks etc.

woodsy

Post by woodsy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi
Anyone local know if levels are coming up sufficiently for a saturday run?
Thanks
Woodsy

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:24 am

Its been humping all week, due to the biblical rain we've been having. Unfortunately i'm down in London so cant realy say at the mo' - sorry ! If it rains on friday night it should go as the ground is absolutely sodden. If you're really lucky you might get the "double top" & catch the Clough as well.

jaglover

Rawthay trees in river

Post by jaglover » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 pm

http://s1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... l/Rawthay/

7/9/11 this was the section next to the engineering works this afternoon

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Had a quick blast down this afternoon & no sign of this tree ?

Main issues :

Tree hanging down into the lead in to the "sticky hole" drop just after you get on. Avoidable but it means your only option is to enter the drop from the left (Once the leaves come off the tree i reckon it'll cause the branches to lift giving a clear lead in)

A little way below this drop there is a tree completely across the river. At a lowish level this afternoon i sneaked through on far left. With more water you would n't be able to get past. The tree is easy to spot & portage.

There is a tree & sheep strainer blocking the right arch of the bridge by the Cross Keys. Easily avoidable and the left arch is clear.

A very pleasant afternoon in the sun !

DanJ

Post by DanJ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Paddled the Rawthey for the first time on Sunday - ace river. There is a tree blocking the river about 200m downstream of Loup Falls. You can stop easily enough jkust befgore it when the river is medium. Not sure what would happen in higher levels though.

geyrfugl

Rawthey video

Post by geyrfugl » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:31 am

There's a video of the River paddled the same day as DanJ's report above. It shows just about every rapid of any note, almost all from a headcam perspective. Unfortunately, as I took a gratuitously elevated portage, it doesn't show the tree below Loup Falls. It does show the tree which blocks the main channel further down - skulkers' route left was easy enough at this level. The last bit from the Clough confluence was video'd later (as my GoPro died in February) after we'd paddled the Clough (of which the video is still under construction - level pretty low).

On April 6th, as we passed, we noted roadworks a short distance above the Cautley Spout confluence. It looks as though a track is being built down to the river, possibly a new bridge ? Seems likely to generate debris in the river, but there was nowhere to stop and get a proper look (and we were on a mission to get to the Upper Swale...)

Andy

geyrfugl

Post by geyrfugl » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks to Mike M for pointing out that URL is broken, try

(an extra "M" that I'd not copied and pasted).

Andy

BrandX

Post by BrandX » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:53 am

Paddled the Rawthey from Rawthey bridge to Straight bridge yesterday. On the straight section about 200m after Loup falls there is a very large tree across the full width of the river about 3ft high from the river bed. On top of this tree is another tree causing an 8ft wall of branches. This isn't the only tree down along the way but is the most severe.

http://i.imgur.com/KYu2ZuM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DH2ZxAc.jpg

There is a much smaller tree along the section where a few cottages are built close to the river bank with the concrete road that runs through the river. This tree is in full leaf but I would expect it to move in high flows. It is also full width.

Please be careful!

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:40 am

All clear :-)

PMB

Post by PMB » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Paddled from Rawthey Bridge to the Lune confluence yesterday at 1.5-1.6 on the gauge at Brigflats. I'm not sure to what extent this gave an accurate reading given it is below the confluence with the Clough - the lower stretch felt medium, the upper medium/low. Have to say I felt a little short changed at the description of it being "one of the best Grade 4 trips in the north" but it probably needed a tad more water; maybe 1.7+ on the gauge? How continuous does it become at that level?

Some trees encroaching into the river to be wary of especially above Loup Falls but none in the current. If running the whole stretch beware of the weir near Sedbergh - one of our group nearly went for an unintended side surf here!

Also keep your eyes peeled for an innocuous looking drop on a left-hand bend where there is a building river right. This is further downstream and backlooped one boat and held another paddler in it for a side surf. Difficult to see much from upstream - make sure you approach it carrying some speed and get a good stroke off the lip.

The pourover at the bottom of Railway Falls was meaty but easy to avoid.
Phil B

lakesboy

Post by lakesboy » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:41 am

its definately not the best grade 4 trip in the north, its more grade 3 with short sections of harder rapids upto grade 4, also there are long sections of flat in between.

still a good run but needs good water on the rawthey bridge to sedbergh section to make it a good trip.

its a good warm up for harder rivers like the clough nearby or as a harder trip after say the lune.

PMB

Post by PMB » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:01 pm

lakesboy wrote:its definately not the best grade 4 trip in the north, its more grade 3 with short sections of harder rapids upto grade 4, also there are long sections of flat in between.
Indeed; perhaps it'd be more apt to say it's one of the better grade 3 trips in the North as I can only recall one grade 4 rapid (Railway Falls). Maybe Loup Falls becomes trickier in higher water?
Phil B

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:48 am

Sounds like it needed more water ! Lower section only 4 is Railway Falls in high water,at this level the upper section is definitely a 4 and one of the great trips in the north ( and yes Loup falls does get interesting !) For my money I think the Clough is the better,more interesting and more continuous trip.Whatever way you look at it Sedbergh has got 3 very good rivers (3rd being Lune ) in very close proximity :-)

dgg2dwp

Post by dgg2dwp » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:31 pm

just update that there is a tree stump in the slot at the "slot drop", it actually wedged in the slot and wasn't visible from boat inspection. It was on the river right side of the drop and we paddled past it with no issues as the river was quite high, i guess if it was lower or it moves it could cause a issue so its worth getting out and having a quick look.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:35 pm

dgg2dwp wrote: a tree stump in the slot at the "slot drop", .
Can you clarify which drop you mean by this please ? ie where abouts on the river ?

dgg2dwp

Post by dgg2dwp » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Mike M wrote:
dgg2dwp wrote: a tree stump in the slot at the "slot drop", .
Can you clarify which drop you mean by this please ? ie where abouts on the river ?
Its described as the 'Final fall in the rawthey gorge' in the NW Guidebook if that helps?

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am

Despite some rather high levels this stump is still firmly wedged in the slot, and showing no sign of moving anytime soon.Based on the undercut nature of this drop,their is potential for all sorts of "nastiness" for swimmers or incorrect lines. Check it carefully before paddling and if in doubt its an easy portage river right