RIVER LEVEN

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Re: RIVER LEVEN

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:13 pm

Just wondering if there is a tree still blocking the left hand side of the island below Backbarrow, past the weirs...

Thanks.

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:06 am

Regarding the river left line at the final ("Fishermans") Gorge on the Leven: we had a good "gates open" run yesterday (19th) and it looks like the tree blocking the left line may have been removed / gone.

We couldn't see anything from upstream (see photo below) but ran the right hand side of the island anyway! One of the team hopped onto the island and had a better look from below. She reported that there was nothing obvious in the water, nor was there anything obvious on the banks which looked like it might be joined to something in the channel.

This is NOT to say that the channel is clear - if you are thinking of heading into the left hand channel be aware that there is nowhere to stop once commited and it could be that there is still something lurking below the surface - and there is always the possibility of new timber being washed in anyway. I'm hoping to take the dogs for a walk along from Haverthwaite next week to check it more thoroughly; watch this space.

PS - it was a beautiful sunny day as well; perfect for January paddling in the Lakes!

ben_20_uk

Post by ben_20_uk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:16 pm

I paddled the left side of the island back in November with the floodgates open. The tree appears to have been cut down. The remnants of the trunk are still on the river left but don't pose a problem unless you're aiming to paddle towards it. The left side gives a fun bouncy ride when the floodgates are open. Easier than the right but just as fun, some fair sized holes to paddle through or avoid :-)

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:49 pm

Yes the original tree has gone, but if I remember rightly we still cut back across through a gap to play on the holes on river right. Just aswell as I think there is a tree further down on the river left side.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

I've just re-read the original guide and realised how negative it sounded with regards access - so I've rewritten it to reflect current thinking.

I've paddled the Leven dozens of times at all times of the year for the last five years, both in small and large groups and never experienced any access hassles (including a friendly chat with a fishing land owner at Newby Bridge).

If anyone has had any recent experiences that differ to my own, please post below.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Just had a lovely medium run down today. No access issues whatsoever.

Just upstream of the takeout, on river left, they are constructing some hydro generation scheme. Believe its been in the local papers, but I hadn't heard of it. Anyone know how much water is going to be taken out? The extraction point is going to be the left channel of the weir below the A590, which did take some water that way in the past. My concern is that its going to take alot of the water for the last bit of the run at lower flows? Anyone got any more detail on this?

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:47 pm

Scuba Dave

Post by Scuba Dave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:41 pm

Paddled the Leven today (Sat 10th December 2011). At the put in there were some new signs regarding salmon redds, theyre from the EA and talk about wading causing damage. They make no mention of kayakers.

After reading the signs we were approached by a man who introduced himself as David Hall, an Environment agency fisheries officer. He asked if we had seen the signs and what we thought of them. He was very polite and had no problems with us kayaking, but wanted us to take extra care getting in and out and not to wade into the water. Apparently there are a number of salmon redds in the gravel just a few feet from the bank so extra care is advised.

He also mentioned the land owners are considering fencing off the land usually used for access to prevent kayakers disturbing the redds.

We paddled the river and had a great time :)

robgoodall

Post by robgoodall » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Has anyone got any idea what effect the HEP scheme is going to have on the lower half of the river (Leven)? mainly in terms of kayaking but also fishing (the salmon will need adequate water to get up stream).

I've seen very little info on this project and have serious concerns regarding the affect its going to have.

Would be intresting to see what the EA guy's thoughts on it are, surely an extraction licence must he been applied for?

Cheers
Rob
to the MAX !!! ;-)

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:02 am

Had a paddle on the Leven yesterday in high water. I think the HEP scheme will only take water away from the weir, the rest of the river shouldn't be affected.

We ran the weir above Backbarrow down what looked like a new fish ladder channel on the right, which I hadn't heard about. The other paddler I was with suggested the line, since on a previous trip the paddlers that ran the weir landed on rocks. Does anybody here know anything more about the developments on this weir? Are there any problems with using the fish ladder?
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:29 pm

No idea about the fishladder (though wouldn't think running it would do anything to help relations with the EA or the fishing fraternity). However I've run the main weir many dozens of times, at all kinds of levels, without any problems whatever.

Barry

g_mcmann

Post by g_mcmann » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 pm

The 'new' HEP scheme is actually a refurbishment of a scheme that went in 1952. The scheme hasn't run for many years due to the civil structure.

The scheme is known as Low Wood, some more information can be found here: http://www.interhydrotechnology.com/Def ... StudyId=13

edwincolyer

Post by edwincolyer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Just wondering - is the Leven runable in these current minimum river level conditions? What is the minimum level (EA Easby guage) to be able to run this? And if this isn't a possibility at the moment, what other rivers in the area would you recommend?

Thanks

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Wouldn't bother below 0.8m and it's no where near that. Kent usually goes, but even that is too low at the moment. Not really anything paddleable other than the lakes themselves at the moment!

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:05 pm

I would second that - everything is dry. Even the lakes are looking empty
Mal

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:45 pm

vid of leven at a lowish level - click clickvid of the new backbarrow weir - click click

jack_kayak

Post by jack_kayak » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 am

Paddled the full river yesterday (27/01/2013) and there is a tree down across the end of the small gorge section on the river right side of Fisherman's Island. This was completely impassable in the low levels we did it, so we portaged over the rocks on river right.There MAY be a way through for those who want to try in higher water (much higher probably), over the rocks extreme right in the channel, but this will involve quite a bit of bank hugging, and by the time you're on top of it with the speed of the water, it will probably be too late. Plus, it may have picked up other debris coming down by then.The tree is across almost all of the channel, with a significant amount of the branches in the water and doesn't look like it will be going any time soon as it is still attached to the left hand island.ImageImage

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 pm

That is low. The tree/branches were still there on Sunday (1.1 on gauge), some groups were portaging. We simply paddle it as normal and either ducked under the branches or paddled off over the rocks to the right.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:53 pm

This is now cleared as of today. Still some roots underwater (not in main flow), perhaps when the water drops they can be got at.

We did some extra pruning, so the whole gorge is now pretty much clear of low over hanging branches. This has opened up some new eddies :-). Enjoy

DanH

Post by DanH » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Paddled the Leven today. The landowner that owns the house next to where these trees were came and found us at the take-out. He owns the river right bank and the island.

He was fairly annoyed that somebody had pruned his bushes/ trees without asking permission. We tried to assure hem that kayakers wouldn't have done this, but after reading this thread it appears we have. I think he is open to discussion regarding future pruning if necessary, but wants it to go through the proper channels and give agreement to the pruning.

The chat we had with him was positive, and he is happy to work with kayakers as long we don't do damage to his land.

Lancs_lad

Post by Lancs_lad » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:41 pm

First off I would like to apologise for any upset we have caused.

I have never removed a tree before, partly due to lazyness and believing that they will eventually wash away. On this occasion I felt like doing a good deed. The thinking behind it was that it is a very popular run and the tree was not easily avoidable especially by sort of groups that regularly paddle the Leven. Also the Leven rarely hits the sort of spate levels needed to move the tree. While removing the tree we decided to prune some of the over hanging branches which have made this rapid more of an annoyance than a joy over the last few years. Due to it being an island it honestly never crossed my mind to seek permission (we had nothing to do with removing the large over hanging branch at the entrance coming from river right). I apologise again.

Last time I remove a tree.

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:20 pm

The Newby Bridge gauge seems to be dead :'(
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Wadhamite wrote:The Newby Bridge gauge seems to be dead :'(
I've just bunged an email off to their enquiry address. I did this for the Upper Swale a few years ago and they got it working again within a couple of weeks.

It might be worth others emailing them - the more whinges the more likely they are to fix it!

Simon Moss

Post by Simon Moss » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:22 pm

RIVER LEVEN BRICK CHUTE ACCESS (Gauging Weir)

The Environment Agency is currently working on the brick chute weir on the river Leven (the weir with the level gauge)

There are signs at the get-in and a rope across the river with another sign just above the weir. See pics below.

It seems that they are re-concreting the side slopes although it is still possible to go down the centre section, but I don't know if this will continue. The sign just above the weir reads: DANGER WORKS TO WEIR. CANOEIST MANDATORY PORTAGE

I guess this is why the EA website river level gauge is not working.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Nice response from the EA, gauge not dead, just resting as indicated by Simon above.
Dear Jim

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query, it has only just found it’s way to me. I can reassure you that the live feed from Newby Bridge has simply been temporarily suspended due to maintenance works on the weir. Unfortunately, the current functionality of RLOI means it either shows the live data or has the simple message you’ve seen. We’re working on being able to modify this for the future with more bespoke messages that will explain exactly the reasons and duration of the suspension. The contractors are due to be on site at Newby Bridge for another 4 weeks (weather and river level dependant) and once they have left, the levels will again be available on line.

It’s great to hear from river users who are using RLOI so thanks for your query. We’re doing some work at the moment with local paddlers to try to improve the information we provide via RLOI, Twitter (see link below) and getting involved with canoe forums, so any other ideas you have would be well received.

Feel free to call me on the numbers below, or email back, if you have any further queries or suggestions to improve our communications to the canoeing community.

Yours sincerely,

Pete

Pete Miles | Team Leader | Hydrometry and Telemetry

Pete L Preston

Post by Pete L Preston » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Dear All,

Just adding an update on the situation at Newby Bridge.

There is on-going contractor work on the weir at Newby Bridge to repair the weir. This work has currently been suspended due to the high flows on the River Leven at Newby Bridge. The metal frameowrk used by the contractor is now completely submerged in the upstream stretch of water and is a significant obstruction to any paddlers.

There is a sign on rope across the River before the weir indicating mandatory portage for canoeists.

I want to emphasise how important it is to observe the mandatory portage sign as the submerged metal framework presents a significant hazard.

Please disseminate to as wider audience as possible and I will keep the forum updated as to changes in the area when they occur. I do have a couple of pictures that may be useful but cannot upload due to my user rights and not being able to access a hosting site from the email address at work. If a board administrator could personal message me with their email address, I can send the pics to you.

Keep safe

Pete Leary (Environment Agency)

Wadhamite

Post by Wadhamite » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Thank you for the update! Looking forward to my favourite river been safe for use again in the autumn :)
LV induction guide: http://tmblr.co/ZIurAvTdASgQ

heybaz

Post by heybaz » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi all

I've just spoken with Pete L, Hydrometry & Telemetry Team Manager at the Environment Agency, and he has asked if I would post the photos (below) here on his behalf.

Pete is trying to ensure that as many paddlers as possible are aware of the hazard presented by the works that the EA are having carried out by their sub-contractor at the brickchute weir on the Leven so please mention this to all your paddling buddies.

I've suggested to Pete that he prepares for the likely comments to follow regarding the sign that has gone up at the usual Newby Bridge Halt get-on: please don't shoot the messenger! Pete is seeking to get a paddlers perspective for this and potential future works so some constructive comments would be helpful...

Regards

Barry

Sign at the Newby Bridge get-on

Approach to the weir

Submerged metalwork at the entrance to the usually paddled channel

From the weir looking upstream

Pete L Preston

Post by Pete L Preston » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Dear All,

Just giving you an update on the weir works at Newby Bridge.

The Contractors are due to be back in the water on Monday 02 Sep, as levels are forecast to be low enough.

We are expecting them to be on site Mon, setting up for a day, 2 days to complete the works required and then a day to dismantle the framework and leave site. With a day’s slippage that should mean work completed and away from the site by Friday 06th Sep.

Will add any further Updates if appropriate.

Regards

Pete L

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Pete,
Thanks for dropping by to let us know. It's great to have such proactive information. :tu

Return to “England - Northwest”