River Crake

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Mark R

River Crake

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Thomas Cox, 29/01/07 wrote:
We met a very helpful Coniston ranger type guy who had a nice chat with us, warned us about some of the local landowners being very annoyed and calling the police about people breaking access agreement. He
was very helpful and pointed us in the right direction to access the river.
To do so correctly there's a natural beach on coniston that you can get on
at. Don't go through the reed beds - they're a SSSI so should be avoided.
We parked in the first layby after Water Yeats, I don't think this is
necessarily the best or closest but there's an easy path to the river, quite
far though.

On the 28th January 2007 there were a couple of tree hazards, Firstly a
large tree has fallen from river right across the river. It blocked the way
completely forcing us to portage on the bank. A farmer noticed us doing so but didn't comment possibly as he saw the tree too. There were tractors parked by the tree so that may go shortly - it was fairly fresh. As far as we could tell its been blown over by the wind.
Secondly under one of the bridges near the end of the river there's a fallen tree blocked up against the bridge supports, with enough speed you can boof over the lowest section however as time progresses the tree may gather more parts and start damming the river. The tree isn't hugely thick so could be cut through if you took the tools with you. It's in an area that isn't really suited to a portage which could be an issue.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Mark Dillon, 23/02/07 wrote:I have heard there is a very nasty tree hazard on the River Crake. A large fallen tree is in the eddy above Bobbin Mill rapid alongside the garden. This is a fast stretch of river and the tree has made it dangerous and difficult to manoeuvre around.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm

Louise Clutton, 12/09/07 wrote:Could you please amend the River Crake entry on the Rivers section of UKRGB? The regional access officer is now Greg Bartlett (not Mark Davies) and his email is access@CumbriaCanoeists.org.uk

As far as I know the access agreement has not changed. Sorry if this is only a small detail to change but would save anyone who is wanting to know about access to the Crake a few phone calls.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Daniel Cox wrote:Paddled 4/9/2008.

High water.

Upper half of the crake, after 2 small drops approx 600m after the first
diagonal weir, after a tributary next to a farm (sorry description is rather
sketchy) there is a fallen tree covering the entire river. In high water
there is no way of avoiding it. A portage is a must as someone is going to
injure themselves badly, as to portage there are only a few small micro
eddys. Get out walk through a farmers field and enter again just above where the river takes 2 courses through trees. Stay river left. All was well after this.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Andy Sallabank, 14/11/08 wrote:Just paddled the River Crake in South Cumbria today (14/11/08). There is a big new strainer across the river just below Spark Bridge. (My Open Boat is currently pinned on it!)

Approximately 200m downstream of the usual get out at Spark Bridge a large tree trunk is blocking over three quarters of the river. Most of the river flow goes under and through the strainer. There is a small clear passage on far river left. The apparently clear passage on river Right is not clear! Easy portage on river left if you stop well before you see the strainer!

Approach with great care as it appears as you round the first bend in the lower section of the river. I will be trying to recover my boat as soon as the water level drops off a bit, if anyone else gets it sooner please contact me on the phone numbers written in the boat.
I think I read this boat has now been recovered and returned? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Alpha T

Re: RIVER CRAKE (Coniston Water to the Sea)

Post by Alpha T » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:32 am

Ran the Crake on 12/12/2209 there is a very large tree, rowing boat and trees jamed up against the metal bridge just before the grade 3 corner. You can currently squeeze through under the metal bridge on the far left but it not simple and our group had a couple swimmers. Owners of the house on the corner that seems to own the bank either side of the bridge were not to pleased with paddlers portaging round the bridge.
Cheers
Trevor

Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Alpha T wrote:Ran the Crake on 12/12/2209
This made me giggle :-)

Thanks for the update, good to know as my club often paddle the Crake as a club run, and the rapid mentioned isn't easy to portage due to land owners. Thanks again. It may be worth visitng Death Before Portage (if you havn't already) ad they are collecting data on what runs are clear/messy sice the floods.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:51 am

Mark Quest wrote:Hi Mark

Just paddled the Crake today in medium flows, all very nice, some tree weaving half way down which was no real bother; but a there is a major tree down a little way below spark bridge which covers the whole width of the river, no way through. Shouldn’t be a major problem for the competent, but there’s not any real eddies to speak of above it. 19 Nov 2010

Cheers

Mark Quest

jamin_canoe

Post by jamin_canoe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:39 am

Hi, I'm, new to the forum. I paddled the Crake yesterday, from the lake to Spark Bridge. The flow was heavy and several trees were down across the river.

There is also a major obstacle that I want to warn people about; the bridge that crosses the Crake near Nibthwaite is being rebuilt following the floods of 2009.

The river has been diverted by the construction guys and currently flows to the right of the bridge through several concrete pipes that were almost completely submerged. There are no signs warning about the obstruction and with the river running fairly fast you come upon it quickly! We portaged around it but I didn't like the look of those pipes, with heavy flow they present a serious hazard if someone were to get sucked through them.

Thanks,
Ben

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Updated the Crake guide today to reflect the fact that the BCU has dropped the access agreement restrictions following Ian Adey taking over as LAA. Paddle year round when levels allow (which they usually do on the Crake).

A very positive step.

Edit: Apparently that wasn't cleared with the necessary BCU-bods - agreement now "under review."

siwiles

Post by siwiles » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Paddled today. Nice medium flow. Construction of the first bridge is still as described. Easy portage on the right, but you wouldn't want to miss it, and get pinned on the submerged pipes....

deano1806

Post by deano1806 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Paddled yesterday the lake to Greenodd in a good water level (and good chips at the end)

The bridge still has work on it (workmen told us there was no access under it but that we were welcome to walk round-the pipes looked pretty scary!)

There is tree down close after that that caused problems for our open boats -a bit of wading -one pinned boat (fortunatly no people) .

We were shouted at though at the metal bridge above the Bobbin Mill rapid by someone who said it wasn't open til November- as we were going under the bridge into the rapid we couldn't really stop to clarify! The tree after the bridge was negotiable on the left

davewray2002

Post by davewray2002 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:12 am

Paddled the Crake on Saturday 5th November at a medium level.

The Bridge has now re-opened and the tree has gone. The only problem we had was overhanging trees, but nothing serious. The only other problem we found was a big log across the river right Chanel at Bobbin Mill rapid.

Other than that a great day out.

davewray2002

Post by davewray2002 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:56 am

Hi All

There is now a tree down where the river splits into 2 forks. The tree is half way down the right fork it took 2 of our guys for a swim.

Dave

DaveR

Post by DaveR » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Tree branch in the breakout at the end of the Nibthwaite rapids ...

... has gone

A productive Friday afternoon.

Dave.

rick.p

Post by rick.p » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 am

Hi Peeps

Paddled this river sat 7th Jan 2012 and have to say never been on the river this high and boy its a tad different.

Please note there is a tree down across the full river just below spars bridge its just possible to sneak through but with very little margin for error!! go river right nearest the tree roots.

Oh and the bridge works mentioned above are all complete.

Safe paddling

Rick P

STEVEHITCHEN

Post by STEVEHITCHEN » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi folks, paddled this with a group on Sun 15th Jan 2012 at 5.4 on the EA Gauge, very enjoyable. However the fallen tree down stream of Spark Bridge is a major
problem, and at higher flows it will be a significant threat to paddlers. Several of our group managed to squeeze around it,just!! on river left. Several of our group
swam, most portaged. All it needs is another branch or tree to wash down, and we will have a riverwide strainer. Very dangerous!!!!! Happy paddling, SteveH.

paulh

Post by paulh » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:48 pm

SERIOUS PINNING AND SIPHON HAZARD
We paddled the river today 4th March and found a telegraph pole spanning the river in the river right channel round the island approximately 200 metres before the long straight section with the series of small drops leading to the Bobbin Mill rapid.
The telegraph pole was just showing above the surface today and is approx 1ft clear of the river bed, so it represents a serious pinning and siphon hazard.it was jammed solid at this level but may lift or move if the water level goes up.

robyakmo

Post by robyakmo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 pm

telegraph pole spanning the river still there. had to portage

pmorton64

Post by pmorton64 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi,

Had the tree gone or is that still there as well?

Cheers

paulh

Post by paulh » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 pm

pmorton64 wrote:Hi,

Had the tree gone or is that still there as well?

Cheers
The tree below Spark Bridge was still there last Sunday 11/3/12 spanning the river, but the trunk is approx 6ft up, river left where the main flow is. We had cleared a lot of the branches that where hanging down on the previous weekend to create a clear way through.
Last Sunday the only real hazard on the river was the previously mentioned telegraph pole before the run down to the bobbin mill rapid.

roland_rat

Post by roland_rat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi,A group of us are thinking of running the crake in the forth coming weeks. Has anyone run it recently? If you have can you please tell any problems we are likely to encounter? Is the telegraph pole still mentioned above still there? Is it still as much of problem. And the tree mentioned spanning the river, is it still passable? How difficult is it to pass? Any information greatly appreciated. Keen to find out as much as we can before committing to running the river. Cheers

the_loz

Post by the_loz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Ran it today and found a massive tree blocking the first rapid. This is a definite postage! There is no way round and it could be a killer.

Rachel T

Post by Rachel T » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

Did this river in mid November and tree mentioned by Loz was still there then. Suggest getting out above Nibthwaite rapid (1st real rapid on river) and inspecting on river right - it was hard to see from eddie at the top. We did it at 0.70 level and there was no way to paddle down - two trees right across full width just at water level. The telegraph pole was at the bottom of Bobbin Mill rapid was parallel to flow with bottom end resting on island where large eddie forms before final 90 degree right hand turn to Spark Bridge. This was not in the way then. Both these might have moved in recent high water.

Rachel T

Post by Rachel T » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Double tree across Nibthwaite rapid has now been removed. There is still a tree trunk in the water running parallel to flow about one third of the way from the left hand bank about half way down the rapid. Not a big problem to pass, not too unpleasant. You might want to inspect it if with a group of beginners. No sign of telegraph pole.

Jim Pullen

Re: River Crake

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Jim Pullen wrote:Updated the Crake guide today to reflect the fact that the BCU has dropped the access agreement restrictions following Ian Adey taking over as LAA. Paddle year round when levels allow (which they usually do on the Crake).

A very positive step.

Edit: Apparently that wasn't cleared with the necessary BCU-bods - agreement now "under review."
Looks like that review eventually decided to restore the agreement/arangement. A careful wording, but still a step backwards in my view:

http://www.canoe-england-cumbria.org.uk ... n_2012.pdf

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 am

Hmm, this agreement talks about unrestricted access without notice between November and May, but says nothing about paddling through the summer.

I'm not trying to be a pedant, but I do wonder if the fact that it omits to state that paddling is not allowed at other times is significant.

callwild

Post by callwild » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

NathanE wrote:Hmm, this agreement talks about unrestricted access without notice between November and May, but says nothing about paddling through the summer.

I'm not trying to be a pedant, but I do wonder if the fact that it omits to state that paddling is not allowed at other times is significant.
Possibly?
there is also no indication of who this arrangement has been made with.
and lets not forget that the access & egress for the river are not on private land so really it can be descended at any time.
the only environmental issue that is time based & mentioned is nesting birds which actually falls between the dates the agreement allows.
so a strange agreement i must say