RIVER CLOUGH (Road Bridge to Sedbergh New Bridge)

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Mark R

RIVER CLOUGH (Road Bridge to Sedbergh New Bridge)

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Mike Millington, 11/11/06 wrote:The bottom fall just before the river enters the Rawthey is blocked by a huge tree which looks like it won't be going anywhere for a while.It is easily visible on the paddle down so in theory no problems with making an eddy.
I remember this tree from a couple of years ago, but paddled the clough earlier this year and it had gone completely.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Lancs_lad

Re: RIVER CLOUGH (Road Bridge to Sedbergh New Bridge)

Post by Lancs_lad » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

Video showing the river at a solid medium (2.0 on rawthey gauge).Click Click

zaatlob

Post by zaatlob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Hazards:
mill race between Hallbank and Farfield Mill. At least at lower levels (don't know how it is at higher levels) the left side of the backwash is so strong that it keeps you . Multiple people have drowned here (according to locals). There surely drowned one person on this place. So be careful.

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:56 am

zaatlob wrote:Hazards:
mill race between Hallbank and Farfield Mill. At least at lower levels (don't know how it is at higher levels) the left side of the backwash is so strong that it keeps you . Multiple people have drowned here (according to locals). There surely drowned one person on this place. So be careful.
I'm a local and until the recent tragedy I have never heard of other drownings ? Also at lower levels the Clough (including this section) are very benign and friendly (trust me every line that can be run has been run without issue) At higher levels this section definitely changes ! But it is very easy to inspect and walk round this entire section ? Have to say I'm a little confused by your view on this section ?
Born to paddle................forced to work.

rpn

Post by rpn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:06 am

Dear Mike,

Unfortunatly I was one of the party kayakking there and it was my friend who got caught in the millrace.
We're not locally known so the information of people drowning on that spot is from second hand (fireman and people living at farfield mill).
My friend got caught and presumably because of panicking didn't get out of his kayak. Not with safetyline nor with people swimming towards him we couldn;t get him out because of the towback. Still we don't know what went wrong, the passage really looked fine to us. The whole river is a lot of fun and surely I would recommend people going there.Of course with the usual alertness.

Kinds regards

Ralf