River Lune - Rigmaden Bridge to Kirby Lonsdale

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
Mark R

River Lune - Rigmaden Bridge to Kirby Lonsdale

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue May 19, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Andy Clifford, 27/04/07 wrote:The section from Rigmaden to Kirkby Lonsdale is arranged through the BCU river adviser. Permission is given between November and March 31st for groups of eight boats (maximum) from recognised clubs and centres. The Estates require three weeks notice and often take some time to respond, the river adviser will try to keep you up to date on requests. Further information from the river adviser riverlune@abclifford.co.uk

I'm sure river users who responsibly enjoy our natural heritage know what to make of any "agreement" which requires pre-booking 3 weeks in advance when water levels cannot be predicted and with limited dates and only for "recognised" groups. Ridiculous!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER LUNE (Rigmaden Bridge to Kirby Lonsdale)

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:29 pm

See this topic for latest access info.

heaton

Post by heaton » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:33 pm

I'm told that as well as three weeks notice, you will also require to obtain written confirmation which you may be asked to show later to estate officials.

The major problem is that these two estates (Rigmaden and Underley) both host frequent pheasant shooting parties, often on the river banks, consequently they have legal requirements under Health and Safety legislation. This was pointed out when the original Access Agreement was drawn up.

I'm told that everything went well for a time and everyone was happy with the original agreement drawn up between the then Access Officer and the estates. Unfortunately, I've also been told that canoeists are using this stretch of the river outside of the stipulated period and therefore without giving 3 weeks notice or obtaining written permission. Consequently the local fishing associations have complained to the estates. In addition, canoeists have been observed disembarking onto the river bank on these estates, when this is expressly forbidden.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 pm

heaton wrote:I'm told that everything went well for a time and everyone was happy with the original agreement drawn up between the then Access Officer and the estates. Unfortunately, I've also been told that canoeists are using this stretch of the river outside of the stipulated period and therefore without giving 3 weeks notice or obtaining written permission. Consequently the local fishing associations have complained to the estates. In addition, canoeists have been observed disembarking onto the river bank on these estates, when this is expressly forbidden.
I can't believe everything ever went well with what sounds like the most restrictive agreement in the country! Three weeks notice! You can't predict rain or river levels for more than two days in advance most of the time!

How does this agreement possibly fit in with CEs stated aim of getting 365 day arrangements, where the only restrictions are on environmental grounds?

heaton

Post by heaton » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I understand it was the then BCU Lune Access Officer who sought and presumably agreed to the terms at the time, so it does make one wonder.

I am aware that estate staff have spoken to some canoeists and reminded them of the agreement and that they were, in fact, trespassing, but were told they were not members of the BCU, so it didn't apply to them, so I suppose it's possible the agreement may be rescinded.

To avoid any future unpleasantness, it may be worth attempting to negotiate a new agreement.

callwild

Post by callwild » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:26 pm

heaton wrote:I understand it was the then BCU Lune Access Officer who sought and presumably agreed to the terms at the time, so it does make one wonder.

I am aware that estate staff have spoken to some canoeists and reminded them of the agreement and that they were, in fact, trespassing, but were told they were not members of the BCU, so it didn't apply to them, so I suppose it's possible the agreement may be rescinded.

To avoid any future unpleasantness, it may be worth attempting to negotiate a new agreement.
To avoid any unpleasantness it actually may be best to avoid trying to negotiate.

Paddle, wave, smile, enjoy yourself.

Plenty of people paddle this section without seeking permission and without encountering mr unpleasant.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:24 pm

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

callwild

Post by callwild » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 am

jmmoxon wrote:Latest from BCU:

http://ce.sportfocus.com/region02/index ... howMeta/0/

Mike
Great we can get on and concentrate on the paddling now. Thanks for posting the information about access points to the river. The access point mentioned is also the best place for egressing the Classic Lune whitewater section.

snuggle_bunny

Post by snuggle_bunny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:49 pm

some folks recently canoed this section from rawthey confluence to devils bridge and reported no problems but they didnt sayif they encountered anyone en route