West Wales Sea Kayak Meet

Announce and discuss
Mike Mayberry

West Wales Sea Kayak Meet

Post by Mike Mayberry »

In the summer Mark R wrote:I should note that I had already firmly decided that this was the last SWSKM I'll be running. I would hope that my volunteer friends and I have demonstrated that sensible enthusiasts can easily organise a sea paddling get-together. I am now hoping to see some folk take up the baton and organise similar events (I'll be happy to help!); there is clearly a need for this sort of thing, this year I could have filled the event twice over.
Having discussed things with people for the past eight weeks it seems that we are going to be able to pick up the baton thrown down by Mark and organise an event here in Pembrokeshire! We still have to work out some of the finer points but essentially it will be run along the same lines as the South West meet that we all loved. The price will remain £30 for the weekend with as much of this as possible going to the RNLI and the Wales Air Ambulance.

The date you need for your diary is 14th and 15th July 2012, in the hope that those volunteers with big trips planned will be back by then! I will post more details in the New Year.

Summit to Sea

Re: West Wales Sea Kayak Meet

Post by Summit to Sea »

Sounds like an awesome idea Mike.

stormkayaker

Post by stormkayaker »

Hi Mike,

Any more news? Were planning to be in your area at that time so would like to join you if possible.
Paul.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Thank you to all of those that have shown interest in the event so far. I can confirm that we have the use of the playing field at Newport, Pembrokeshire to camp on. Unfortunately we will not be allowed to park vehicles on the field but we should be able to use the school playground which is right next door and we have the use of their toilets. We are paying £5 per tent from the money raised for the use of these facilties.

For those that don't wish to camp there are a good many b&bs and hotels in the area. Obviously, if you choose this option the £30 won't include this. The £30 for the weekend will remain the same whether you camp or not.

We are also looking to utilise the facilties of Newport Boat Club, five minutes walk from the campsite, for the Saturday evening. They have a large outdoor bar b que and a bar with great views across and down the estuary. This has yet to be confirmed but we foresee no problems. Other pubs are available, the food is particularly good at both the Golden Lion and the Royal Oak, if you don't fancy cooking your own. You will almot certainly have to book a table before you arrive.

There is also talk of a band that maybe interested in playing on Saturday evening. I'll let you know if this develops.

I have set up a paypal account specifically for this event so that money remains seperate from my income. The last thing I need is for the taxman to think this is part of my income when it is all going to charity. You can send payment of £30 per person to westwalesseakayakmeet@hotmail.co.uk in order to reserve your place. Please make sure that your payment arrives with your full name so that I can reserve and confirm your place.

There are only 100 places maximum available. As with Mark's event, we don't care whether you paddle none, one or two days, camp or not camp the price is £30 and minus the £5 per tent fee and paypal fees for the playing field facilities this will all go to the Wales Air Ambulance and the RNLI. We may have to pay a little for public liabilty insurance while in the field and I will keep you informed on this. Mark sent around £2000 to his charities and ours should easily hit the same target.

Date remains the same, 14th and 15th July 2012. As with Mark's event, guides may or not be qualified. There will be a variety of trips on offer, but you as an individual are responsible for deciding whether or not to paddle. For some this is their weekend off from work!

I think that covers everything, if there is something I've missed then I'm sure someone will ask.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Facebook event page added here.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

I've just had confirmation that we have the use of the bar b q and the upstairs (that's the non members one) bar of Newport Boat Club for the Saturday evening. With sunsets like this it's a perfect setting.

The event is 12% full if you're wondering how many space are left. There are many who have told the facebook event they are attending that but have not yet paid. You're place will only be confirmed once payment has been received.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

We have now had a unique offer from the warden on Skomer for a guided trip of the island. The warden is a paddler himself, what better guide for the day? With him onboard you'll have free access to the island during Puffin Season, so this is great if you're a SLR photographer (Mark? Douglas? Others?)

I'm sure I don't need to say, the trip will be entirely weather dependant as the tides around Skomer are complex. As long as the weather is good I'll plan this option on for the Sunday, this is an advanced trip. If the weather doesn't permit there maybe the opportunity for people to take the offer up in the couple of days follwing the event, if you're "hanging" around Pembrokeshire for a bit afterwards.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

We are now 30% full. There are some on facebook that have confirmed there but haven't sent money yet and lots of people seem to be having babies this summer! :)

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Are you or do you know Kenneth Kingston with a Plymouth University email address? If so I can confirm we have now received your payment but my email to you has been returned twice which is odd as we've communicated twice before with the same address!

To everyone else, the event is now 40% full and it's Thursday which seems to be the busiest evening for people to pay. It's a little over a month since we started to accept payments so I guess that this time next month it may well be full. "Don't delay, pay today" is the message :)

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

The event is now 50% full so still lots of space left for you to reserve your space...

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Only forty places left now people.

Did you read about Taran's and Stuart's weekend in the area?

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

There are now twenty-five places left only. I am away from tomorrow for three to four weeks so it maybe best to wait for my return if you haven't sent money yet.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Event now full, thanks.

I'll post info you will need in the weeks leading up to 14th and 15th July.

Mr Hoppy

Post by Mr Hoppy »

I've got a spare place for this as my BiL now can't make it. If anyone is wanting to go drop me a message and we can sort something out.

Mike Mayberry

Post by Mike Mayberry »

Maps, charts, tidal constants and streams can be downloaded as jpegs and printed from here. Milford Haven tide times are online here, don't forget to add an hour for BST.

I am meeting with the Rugby Club and the Boat Club etc., to touch base this week and will upload a geotag for each location. I'll also provide a GR for each.

If there's any other information that people would like then please ask.

Return to “Dates and Events”