22nd July 2018 DoggyPaddle- 18 mile flaterwater in the Midlands

Announce and discuss
bri.canoeacle

22nd July 2018 DoggyPaddle- 18 mile flaterwater in the Midlands

Post by bri.canoeacle » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm

The DoggyPaddle is an 18 mile charity paddle for Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, a flatwater recreational paddle from Leamington Spa to Stratford-upon-Avon, taking place on the Sunday 22nd July 2018. Kayak/canoe/SUP this beautiful stretch of the River Leam & Avon. The trip takes you from Royal Leamington Spa, through the spectacular grounds of Warwick Castle and Charlecote Park, ending in historic Stratford-upon-Avon. [url][www.doggypaddle.org.uk]

Davidcooper

Re: 22nd July 2018 DoggyPaddle- 18 mile flaterwater in the Midlands

Post by Davidcooper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:26 am

This sounds cool, I'd love to be involved..
Having just moved to leamington I want to head down stream from leam to Warwick with a picnic and canoe from the leam boat centre. My girlfriend has never canoed before, is the wear leaving leam going to be much of a problem for us to get the boat down? And can I leave the canoe at the St Nicholas Park boat centre??

Any tips for a new guy I'm town trying to introduce his girlfriend to the waters would be helpful.
Thanks

Rae1

Re: 22nd July 2018 DoggyPaddle- 18 mile flaterwater in the Midlands

Post by Rae1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm

You cant get down the weir next to Leam Boats,get out at Leam Boat Centre, then walk round to the slipway just after the weir. The one half a mile further on has a chute on river left. It isnt steep, but I dont think I'd try it with someone who hasnt done it before. You can get off river right, and drop the boat down the steps of the weir - this is where the Doggy Paddle starts.
You'd need to contact Leam about taking one of their boats that way, they only normally allow Hirers to head North from their base. They do rent out boats for the Doggy Paddle, but book in advance, as they are usually sold out before the day.
There is a round trip from Leamington, down the Leam until it meets the Avon, after half a mile, the canal crosses on an aqueduct, get off here, and get on the canal, there are a few pubs on the canalside for refreshments, carry on for a couple of miles until you see an overflow from the canal, on the right, into the river below, you get out on the left bank, and get down onto the river below. We did it 3 years ago, it was a bit of a scramble to get down, but nothing too bad, I've been told there is a path down now . It's only 3 metres or less wide at this point, and slowly gets wider as you get back toward Leamington boat centre. 3 hours round trip.