14th Himalayan WW Challenge 2015

Announce and discuss
Slime

14th Himalayan WW Challenge 2015

Post by Slime » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:06 am

HIMALAYAN WHITE WATER CHALLENGE - 27th to 29th November 2015

I thought that paddlers might appreciate a brief report on this year's challenge -

2015 was a tough year for Nepal with the Earthquake earlier in the year and now ‘Big Brother’ India is doing even more harm with an outrageous blockade of all goods including fuel, medical supplies and cooking gas. However that was seen by the Nepalese paddlers as all the more reasons for a party and get together to celebrate survival !

This year’s event was held on the Trisuli river at Fishling alongside an impressive wave and rapid. Mim and Kelly Magar of Paddle Nepal did a superb job of building a launch ramp and setting up slalom gates and sponsors banners. The event was notable for the amount of sponsorship from both Nepal and international companies – a vote of confidence in the state of paddling in Nepal and in NARA (Nepalese Association of Rafting Agents) who were the overall organisers of the event.

We had about 100 people at the event as competitors and helpers – mainly Nepalese of course, but with folk from about ten different countries there. I remember that 23 years ago when Gerry Moffat and myself first started the Nepal Rodeo, there was one Nepali competitor. This year was the 21st Rodeo and it was the other way round – I think only one international competitor reached the semi finals of the Freestyle event!

I was struck this year by the really friendly happy atmosphere, with some great partying - singing and dancing going on into the small hours. A special point for me was to see the quality of the paddling by the Nepali juniors. It made me look back to when we first ran an event for Juniors many years ago – those young competitors are now international raft guides and many running their own companies.

I am sorry but I don’t have the list of who won what – but I am not too sure how important this is! Sponsors prizes went to the most deserving Nepali competitors and most to the junior competitors who we felt were would most appreciate them. You can see some photos of this happy event on the Paddle Nepal facebook page.

Thank you to the UK sponsors - Wavesport, PeakUk, Palm, Ainsworth, SystemX, Rivers Publishing and Dave Manby.

Peter Knowles (“Slime Dai”)