Environment and Access in Cumbria, May 10th

Announce and discuss
heybaz

Environment and Access in Cumbria, May 10th

Post by heybaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:49 pm

"Cumbria Canoeists", British Canoeing's Regional Development Team in Cumbria are pleased to invite you to our Environment and Access Symposium.

The event is free to attend and will be held at the Crooklands Hotel, Crooklands, Cumbria LA7 7NW, (5 minutes from M6 J36) on Sunday May 10th 2015 9am – 1pm

This is your opportunity to hear first hand about environmental threats to our paddling environment, action being taken to protect and preserve it and how paddlers can help while enjoying and sharing it with other users.

At present we have guest speakers joining us from The National Trust, Environment Agency, Lune Rivers Trust and Forestry Commission with the Lake District National Park Authority & others yet to confirm.

British Canoeing's National Waterways and Environment Manager and Cumbria's Regional Waterways Adviser will be present to address an open session on access. We will present on British Canoeing's current policy, activities going on to promote access and take questions from the floor - your opportunity to tell us what you want from British Canoeing to improve access in our region and further afield.

We will also be showing a new video looking at paddling the Stikine river and environmental issues affecting those living in the region (by kind permission of Mountain Mind Collective)

Just to confirm - this symposium is FREE to attend so please join us at what should be an informative and enjoyable event.

Numbers are limited by the venue to ~50 so if you are intending to join us or have any questions or suggestions, please email me, Barry Curley, Regional Waterways Adviser for Cumbria to have your place confirmed: rwa.cumbria@britishcanoeing.org.uk.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you on the day

Barry

heybaz

Re: Environment and Access in Cumbria, May 10th

Post by heybaz » Sun May 03, 2015 6:37 pm

If anyone is thinking of heading back up to the Lakes following this weekend's rainfall, please don't forget that this free symposium is happening next Sunday morning, just off Junction 36 of the M6 at Crooklands Hotel.

As well as hearing on environmental and other issues from the Environment Agency, National Trust and Forestry Commission, this is your chance to hear what British Canoeing have been doing on access in Cumbria and elsewhere and to share any thoughts or ask any questions that you may have on all of these issues.

Do drop me a note if interested in coming along or have any questions either here or at rwa.cumbria@britishcanoeing.org.uk

More info here as well: http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/news/cu ... -symposium

Thanks,

Barry

heybaz

Re: Environment and Access in Cumbria, May 10th

Post by heybaz » Wed May 06, 2015 9:18 am

Hi All

Regretfully I have taken the decision to cancel this event due to no expressions of interest in attending other than a very few local paddlers who are already engaged in or aware of the issues that were going to be aired at the Symposium. Please share this message with anybody who may have been joining us on Sunday.

Given the degree of criticism that I hear leveled at British Canoeing on matters of access I have to say I'm saddened that nobody seems to want to take the opportunity to share their views and ideas with the people working on access up here in Cumbria and British Canoeing's Waterways and Environment Manager, working on access matters at a national level.

Maybe the lack of interest is due to to the perception that little is being done to promote paddling and improve access in Cumbria; if so then that is a real pity because there are a number of volunteers working quite hard on this and making progress in several areas. If you have strong feelings on this, please let me know and I will happily try to rearrange a similar event at a future date; your chance to have your say and to let British Canoeing know what they can do for their members on the access front as well as promoting the good work being done by paddlers and others in protecting our waterways and environment.

Hope to see you on the water this weekend - there's lots of it about!

Barry Curley
Cumbria Regional Waterways Advisor

Return to “Dates and Events”