Replacement for Lendal Powermaster Paddles

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
jonrb

Replacement for Lendal Powermaster Paddles

Post by jonrb » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm

I used Lendal Powermaster’s for marathon racing for many years before changing to wings in’80’s and then retiring from competition. Since then I’ve paddled mostly on the sea and went back to the Powermaster’s, not wanting to use wings on the sea.
I now need to replace my old and damaged set of Powermaster’s (Carbon blades / shaft), for sea use, and also the occasional foray in a K1 (on flat water). Most of the asymmetric blades now available have a significantly smaller blade area, with racing blades now almost exclusively wings. I have a lovely set of Mitchell Poseidon’s billed as their most powerful blade, but at 690 sq cm don’t provide anywhere near the power of the Powermaster’s which are nearer 800 sq cm. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement paddle please with a large blade area? Many thanks. Jon

lennart

Re: Replacement for Lendal Powermaster Paddles

Post by lennart » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:50 am

If you look for big blade , look at the german paddlebuilders like lettmann and kobermoll. both make big blades.
ro do asearch on the sales part over here and ebay. I would be surprized if they not pop up now and then. you could also try an easy wing paddle.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

jonrb

Post by jonrb » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks Lennart, I'll do some research. Cheers. Jon

hants

Post by hants » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:58 am

3 months ago I bought 2 'powermaster' paddles for 68 quid on ebay. In a very decent condition.

jonrb

Post by jonrb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for that, wish I'd seen them. I'll have to keep on looking! Cheers. Jon

michielv

Post by michielv » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Just curious: in what areas are the blades damaged? If it is the outer edge, perhaps you can glue the laminates (if some bits delaminated) back together with epoxy (Araldite will do I guess?) and cover the entire edge in kevlar tape, just like they used to do with canoepolo blades? Like the one on this picture in the middle: http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo ... addles.jpg

If you really need Powermaster blades, I think we still have a couple at the club that are not used very much (if at all). Dunno the materials (glass, carbon, plastic?) but I could ask if they might be up for sale or could be be swapped for something that is higher demand. No prmises though, I have to check first ;-)

Cheers,

Michiel

jonrb

Post by jonrb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:01 am

Thanks Michiel,
I was flipped during a surf landing and the last 6" of the L/H blade folded back, but was still attached. I patched it front and back and it has held up well, but is now substantially heavier than the R/H blade and I don't have total confidence in it either. I have other blades to use on the sea, but because of smaller blade area, not much use in a K1 as I have a very long powerful stroke. If you do know of anyone with Powermasters (carbon preferred) and willing to sell, that would be much appreciated, or even a pair with a damaged R/H blade? Cheers. Jon

michielv

Post by michielv » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Jon,

So basically you need at least one good lefthand side blade, preferably carbon? I'll see if I can find something decent for you.

BTW: have you tried ordering a new blade from Lendal? Perhaps they have some left in stock?

Cheers,
Michiel

jonrb

Post by jonrb » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks Michiel,

Yes, thats right - thanks very much. I tried to get a new blade some time ago but without success, although I didn't go direct to Lendal - if all else fails, I will give it a try.

Cheers

Jon

sensiblesimon

Post by sensiblesimon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Have you looked at Streamlyte paddles? I currently use Streamlyte Visage paddles which appear to be similar to the Lendal Powermaster ie. large blade, conventional assymetric paddles designed for marathon racing, 760cm2 area per blade. They are less spooned though than my old Lendal Nordkapps which I think are a cut down version of the Powemasters.

I ordered these through my local canoe shop, Kayaks North West and they were delivered from Streamlyte in less than a week. Streamlyte assemble the paddles to order and so you can specify length/feather angle etc. Rather than scatching around for old stock of Powermasters you may be better looking at these. They are good value as well!

I found the full sized Visage blades hurt my wrist so now use the smaller sized Visage S blades and these are great for me. They are similar (although just slightly bigger at 735cm2) to Lendal Nordkapps in size and shape. They have got me from Div 9 to Div 7 so far this season and I am still more comfortable with them than wings when there are waves & wind & strong current.

Check out the Streamlyte website. There is precious little in terms of reviews on the web re Streamlyte paddles, particularly those aimed at sea, touring & marathon. This seems a shame as they are a British company.

Hope this helps to widen your choice
Cheers
Simon

jonrb

Post by jonrb » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks for that Simon, not heard of Streamlyte before - bit out of touch as I tend to do my own thing and don't race any more. They look promising from the website, although I would like to see some 'in the flesh'. Cheers Jon