High-backed seat in racing K1 what's the crack

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
Fabricant

High-backed seat in racing K1 what's the crack

Post by Fabricant » Mon May 30, 2011 9:06 pm

Most racing kayak manufacturers offer the choice of speccing a standard or a high-backed seat. Trouble for me is, I have never found any principled, or theory-based account under what circumstances one is supposed to be preferable over the other.

Obviously the 'try it and see if you like it' school of thought always has a lot going for it. My question is, is seat comfort ALL there is to it? I am the sort of person who likes to know the thinking behind a technological innovation. (For example I can understand why people experimented with swivelling seats to help with rotation.)

Are there biomechanical predictions what sort of paddler is meant to benefit more from a high-backed kayak seat? Or, what sort of usage is a high-backed seat meant to be more suited to? Sprint or marathon? Men or women? Wey or Worcester (only joking)
Born-again paddler

Vulch

Re: High-backed seat in racing K1 what's the crack

Post by Vulch » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:00 am

Sprint, I believe.

High backed seats prevent your arse moving back too far when you leg drive, providing you with a bit more leverage and reducing the 'give' between the paddle blade and the boat.

I reckon.

Some of my guys prefer them for marathon too though, paddling DW this last year with them.

HTH

Vulch