DW 2012

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
OldNick

Re: DW 2012

Post by OldNick »

I paddled from Bulls lock towards Thatcham yesterday (Friday) but was turned back by the workman at Monkey Marsh lock which is undergoing extensive lock gate replacement works.

I had a chat with the bloke and it seems that the tow path and canal will remain closed for the next 2 or 3 weeks. There is a barrier across the tow path at the swing bridge just before the lock and signage stipulating hard hat etc but I didn't see it as my head was down to negotiate the low bridge.

Anyway, I'm conscious that it is WS B next week and this may impinge on the race so I’ve let Clive know at Newbury canoe club.

Apparently there may be an option for a long to portage but apparently it is over "estate" land.

Just be ready to do an about turn if you’re out training on that stretch.

barmy

Post by barmy »

Came back from a really good 2 hour night session on the canal yesterday, really motivated. and decided to have a look on utube for some DW inspiration and found this.

All I can say is this is what I call dedication. Not just the paddling but the time it must have taken to construct. either that or these guys are a long way from any paddling sources.
The obstacle isthe path
www.paddlemad.blogspot.com

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

No ice on the Basingstoke Canal this morning for our Hare and Hounds. Several stretches were still frozen yesterday but it all melted overnight. We did have other problems to contend with though, and it has lead to a new addtion to the"Book of Excuses" for failing to complete a race- " I had to retire because I holed my boat when I hit a washing machine ". We came close but missed it, K2's not quite so aggressive in corner cutting as a K1.

BTK66

Post by BTK66 »

The last 2 posts make me wish we had a "like" button!

JamesKenyon

Post by JamesKenyon »

Hi all, rookie question. Trying to figure out the tide timing. It's my first race this year and going straight through in the senior doubles.

We've trained but are not going for a 'time' as such, we just want to finish it. My dad did it last year and reckons given a choice to do the canals at night and hit the Thames early morning meaning we would do the tidal section in the light and hopefully get through Richmond and onto the final leg before the river traffic builds up.

So, I suppose the question is, start at 7am or in the evening? And in which case as it's after 12 do we need to notify the DW organisers?

Thanks in advance. J

barmy

Post by barmy »

Hi

I posted a similar question a couple of pages back. the general concensus seemed to be to go for the morning start. the afternoon tide window is only 2 hours, and yes you do need permission from the DW organisers to start after 12noon.

We considered starting in the evening but have decided to start at 7am, if we miss the tide then a siesta at Teddington will be in order while we wait for the afternoon tide. Also, although everybody is doing their own race, I dont really like the idea of being out there completely on our own if we start in the evening. one of the nice things about the DW is the cameraderie between boat and support crews. We broke a paddle last year and the amount of people who offered help was incredible and it was nice on the night sections to have other boats around and other lights to follow, it was very reassuring.
The obstacle isthe path
www.paddlemad.blogspot.com

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Barmy,

We'll be setting off about an hour after you, so we should meet up at Teddington. If you see us say hi - we'll be in the Castrol C2.

Although I have been talked into later and later starts by Partner... So that could be meet at the finish, if you're still there!

We were out Saturday (Boulters to Marlow and back in the rain...) and yesterday (Wargrave to Bray) and, to be honest, went pretty well (for us). Sunday was a very nice trip, and I felt like I would have liked to paddle on at Bray. Which is just as well, 'cos come 7 weeks' time...

We're there for B - but interesting news about Monkey Marsh - wonder what will happen?

andy g

Post by andy g »

Fellow Watersiders,
Does anyone have any info on how the Monkey Marsh closure will be portaged?
According to the Waterside webpage, the mandated route is to get out left at the low bridge, and then by-pass the whole site , getting back on near the road bridge.
From Google maps the only bridge I can see is a long way back upstream and it will mean a considerable distance on foot. From memory of last years DW, the get-in tends to be crowded with moored cruisers, so I am slightly puzzled , but hope it will all become clear on the day.

Andy

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Hi Andy,

Having been turned back by some big chaps in high-vis jackets and hard hats on Friday, I can perhaps suggest what may be proposed.

The bridge referred to is the swing bridge which is usually closed but can be negotiated by keeping low in the boat and drifting underneath.

I think the idea is to get out on the left just before the swing bridge and leg it on the other side of the hedge until you pop out past the lock. The “nice” thing about B is that you get to do it twice, what fun! I reckon it’ll be about 200 metres, just think “Usain Bolt”.

By Sunday the works may have cleared or Newbury canoe club may have a cunning plan.

andy g

Post by andy g »

Many thanks Nick
That puts my mind at rest, I had visions of them running about half a mile back to the previous bridge.
Andy
See you Sunday?

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

No Waterside for me this year. Did the last two in C1 and as I was the only crew to complete the series both times, my name is on the trophy.

I've heard that there may be some more competition this year and as I'm doing DW in C1, it doesn't fit in with my training schedule and its' all the excuse I need.

I absolutely HATE WS B! All that argy-bargy at the protages and the "washing machine" at the turn, most uncivilised.

However, good luck to everyone, weather is looking kind, have a great race.

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Looks like Newbury canoe club DO have a cunning plan! See the Waterside web site for futher updates: (http://www.watersideseries.org.uk/).

Unfortunately it's a bit longer than 200 metres but through some lovely countryside and past some cows too.

Good luck to everyone on Sunday

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Unfortunately it's a bit longer than 200 metres but through some lovely countryside and past some cows too.
Nick, Nick, enough already with the rubbing it in!!!

We too hate 'B', but feel compelled to do it as this will be our fifth straight year of not missing a Wateside race. However, even though English has far more words than any other language, there don't seem to be any that give a full description of how I feel about doing the 'Monkey Marsh ramble'. Twice.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Hackworth wrote: the 'Monkey Marsh ramble'
We went up there today for a look see. Bridge to bridge took 11 mins walking with a boat. Newbury CC have put up portage signs in direction of downstream travel, so remember your route for the way back. The gate in the middle of the portage is huge and rickety and very definitely wired and padlocked shut. Access at Thatcham Wharf is limited and if you hit this with 2 way traffic you may want to ramble on a bit further downstream, unless they have moved the Heras fencing back closer towards the lock by Sunday. The chap we spoke too thought that there was a possibility of a portage through the site on Sunday, but he wasn't in charge and may have just been trying to cheer us up.
Sat in the sunshine afterwards and had an ice lolly. I can't believe the change in temperature in less than 2 weeks.

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

No cows! No gate!!!

But the full choppy washing machine experience at the lower part of the course.

Although - a personal best for us, so chuffed with that...

And a lovely sunny day too.

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M »

Best conitions for B I can remember.

andy g

Post by andy g »

Yes it was a wonderful day for support crews as well , with only minimal mud on the banks and wonderful hot sunshine.

We watched the Monkey Marsh portage from the bridge and it seems that despite the signs everywhere at signing on some crews insisted on going the long way around, the marshall kindly advised them of a shorter route for the return trip.

It was the first race for my crew (number 8 in the yellow "banana boat" , but it is obviously more famous under another name because when they passed one crew the front paddlers was heard to remark "it's the Yellow B*****d") Despite some rudder troubles causing an off course excursion into the reeds they were very pleased with 2h 41m

Now for C and the tunnel!

Andy

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

We had a fairly good race too. My husband has managed to avoid supporting on Watersides for the past 4 years. He couldn't understand why we were fussing to get there early to grab a good parking space. We arrived at 9.15 and opted to pay and display in Camp Hopson as the usual car parks were full. The queues were bigger than I was expecting and we were one of the last crews to start. It did mean that hardly anyone overtook us and all the bumpy water was around Woolhampton rather than Aldermaston. Coming back through Monkey Marsh we dropped the boat and bent the rudder and were pleased to limp in under 3 hours and with a PB.

hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Please be aware that there is an update on the DW website asking that anyone who intends going for a 7am start lets them know. I think they want some idea of numbers.

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Training last night - Sharpness canal.

A lovely clear moonlit night, speed good, water dead calm. A few inches of fog on the water.

Good pub half way for carb refreshment.

No washing machine effect. No shouting. Wonderful.

hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Lovely weather forecast for Thameside 2 tomorrow, looks like wind's going to swing round to the North, probably just in time for Henley straight!

hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Well, the Met Office nearly got the weather right, only the wind direction a bit wrong. Very 'interesting' start, first time I'd paddled in the sea! A bit of proper heavy rain, followed by sleet to the finish. Rude awakening for some people who seemed to be dressed for the spring-like winter we've mostly had. Looked like a few cases of mild hypothermia at the finish - I heard/saw that there was quite a lot of swimming being done as well which certainly wouldn't have helped!
Lets hope there's no ice next weekend!
Or too much rain for the next few weeks, there's a whole hoard of people out there who have trained for DW and haven't got a clue about the hazards that the Thames with some proper flow on offers (especially in the dark)!

hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Limited number of Friday night kit checks available for those wanting to get away early Saturday morning. Check the DW web site for info.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Waterside C- phew what a scorcher. This was my 17th Waterside race and the first one I have done without a cag. I was worried about getting a sun burnt right ear at one stage, an asymmetric tan never looks good and always has to be explained.
We had a target of 4 hours which we missed by a whopping 08 seconds. We could blame the marshall at Dunmill who stopped us to allow traffic to pass, or the lack of flow or possibly even ourselves for pushing too hard at the start and down Crofton and then paying for it later.It has given us things to think about for race D. I have never seen the Mill stream at Newbury looking so calm before. We put in as far foward as possible with the bow well into the stream and it had no effect on the boat at all.
On B we had the pleasure of beating 3 crews from our Club who have posted faster 10k Time trial times than us, 2 of these crews were racing again on C. One crew beat us by 86 secs and the other suffered with cramp and limped in 18 minutes after us. We all plan to race again for D and I am sure that there will be plenty of banter before then.

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

I really felt for you with those 8 seconds...

We boiled a bit too - we were strong for the first third, weak in the middle and strong at the end. Very curious, and we missed our target (also 4 hours) by 6 minutes, so that's bad. But a personal best by 4 minutes, so that's good.

Now 3 mins behind 4th in C2 for the series. Possible to catch up, but will need to do better in D...

1) PADDLE HARDER

2) RUN HARDER

3) GET IN AND OUT QUICKER

That's the masterplan...

Although not having to empty out at a put-in would also help.

so:

4) DON'T FILL THE BOAT WITH WATER

And, of course:

5) DON'T HURT YOURSELVES

Easy as that...

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Hackworth wrote:I really felt for you with those 8 seconds...
Thanks for your sympathy, the "8 seconds" mickey taking has already started at the club. Having read up on the weekends sports news though I have discovered where they went, top cyclist and triple Olympic champion, Bradley Wiggins had them for his winning margin in the Paris- Nice race http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ma ... sfeed=true Well done Bradley and good luck in the Tour De France.
I like your Masterplan, ours looks similar. We are not doing the DW though, so if we get to the the finish of D and wonder how on earth we ran a portage only seconds before and now haven't got the energy to get out of the boat then we have done well. If we were to then base a DW time on that speed though we are going to come unstuck. Tracy and I learned that the hard way in 2008, that a pace that is sustainable for D doesn't make it sustainable for DW. My PB K2 time for D is 6hrs and 5 mins and that will be the target on 25th March (Or possibly a nice round 6 hours!), my successful DW K2 time for the trip to Newbury is 6hrs 54" (I've done D faster in a K1) and we spent the whole of the long pound feeling we weren't going fast enough.

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

my successful DW K2 time for the trip to Newbury is 6hrs 54
Ours is 6:58 in 2009, so similar there, PB is 6:20, so not similar there!

For your 6:05 - did you run all the locks at Crofton? We're thinking that we'll try this (for the first time in 4 years). It is a big effort though and no mistake...

tiredandirritable

Post by tiredandirritable »

Is it better to paddle rather than walk Crofton assuming the portaging is effective?
Is it better to walk Crofton non stop and work the legs a bit?
If I run Crofton I am sure I will not be in a fit state to paddle afterwards!
Is it better to paddle if you can not see the next lock and walk if you can see it?
Help

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Hi Hackworth,
How good a runner are you? And your partner? And with a boat?
I think we paddled all the pounds at Crofton to get our 6:05, running around the locks but not between them. I have done more running since then but more as cross training rather than to get good at it. I can run for up to 40 mins without a boat then I get bored. Last Sunday we planned to run some of the pounds at Crofton and ended up running 2 consecutive pounds as we had got confused over which was the shortest one and that was enough running for me. Sarah is a better runner than me, she orienteers and does mountain marathons as her first sport, and she said that she felt my running was slower further down the course. Certainly the elite paddlers can run faster than they paddle, that's why the portage points are so closely defined at international races, and why the 2010 times for C winners were broadly similar to previous years but most paddlers were much slower with the extensive portage.
We can definitely paddle faster than we can run with a boat and having both done DWs and raced Haslers in 6K2 our portaging is reasonable.
If you are slick at getting in and out and then run around the locks then I think that can be as quick, if not quicker, than trying to run all of it and it takes less out of you. Tracy and I did some sessions in K1s on the Deepcut flight where the locks are closer together with one running and one portaging to see which was quicker and came to the conclusion that we would paddle rather than portage Crofton. For the DW in 2010 we also decided to walk the portages rather than try to run them, this was to conserve energy.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

tiredandirritable wrote:Is it better to paddle rather than walk Crofton assuming the portaging is effective?
How do you know your portaging is effective? Measure it :)

Find a stretch of river or canal about 1.5 miles long without any locks where it is possible to run along the bank on one side and where the banks are preferably piled, or at least firm and vertical and easy to portage at.
Time a paddle along the stretch at your race pace without stopping. "A"
Time a paddle along that stretch where you do 6 false portages on your right hand side (get out and run 100m with the boat even though you could paddle it) "B"
Time a run along that stretch whilst portaging the boat "C" (Be prepared for wisecracks from pedestrians whilst doing this!)
The difference between "A" and "B" will enable you to work out how fast you are at portaging. The difference between "B" and "C" will help you to decide whether to paddle or run Crofton.

You can also consider running alternate pounds instead of all of it if you are not up to running the whole lot but feel you need to stretch your legs