DW 2012

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
andy g

Re: DW 2012

Post by andy g »

Support Crews please note,
Not only can you only approach Aldermarston Wharf Lock from the south, but the same also holds for Tyle Mill lock (no 99) . The road is totally blocked and will remain so until July according to the signage.
One or two crews out on the river yesterday getting some last minute training , but I guess most of you are preserving your energy for next weekend!

Eliza
I am having to eat humble pie, our organiser has provided us with very PINK high viz tabards , not sure about this.

Andy

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

andy g wrote: our organiser has provided us with very PINK high viz tabards , not sure about this.
Be proud, it used to be considered a masculine colour, with blue, associated with the Virgin Mary considered delicate and feminine. (It's in the Daily Mail, so it must be true http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -pink.html)

lennart

Post by lennart »

to all competitors, supportcrew and volenteers :
good luck keep warm, well fed and hydreted, have fun, help where you can. get into your rythm.

jealouse on all. I will work over here. adn keep a look on the progress.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

So how are you feeling on the night before the senior singles, juniors and Endeavour DW 2012?

My dining room looks like the operations centre for some complex military campaign, there is kit and supplies for the 4 day campaign all stacked and labelled everywhere.

The boat’s T cut and polished, all my different food choices are arranged in chronological order. There’s my paddling kit (wet, warm and cold options), kit if I fall in, warm kit at the end, recovery drinks and food, oh and I must remember to take my paddle.

I’m tucking into a pasta supper and the alarms’ set for 05:00 hrs. As I’m one of the slowest boats (I’ll show her!! ;-) )I’ve got a 07:30 hrs start so it may be a bit chilly to Wootton Rivers. The temperature is forecast for zero degrees at 07:00 hrs and a 4mph westerly wind rising to a balmy five degrees by 10:00 hrs, at least if I was in a kayak I’d have a spray deck!

I’ve had a disastrous last 10 days since I incurred a back spasm whilst moving a machine at work. I’ve never had one before but it doesn’t half hurt. I’ve had two sessions of chiropractic treatment, my first ever massage and some big-shot prescription drugs from my GP. I’m still not right, haven’t paddled for a fortnight and my wife is telling me how wise I am to go ahead. (At least I think that’s what she said!!)

Anyway, after paying the £94 I’m going to give it a shot.

Good luck to all over Easter, please feel free to throw me a jelly baby and I wish everyone a safe, fast paddle.

BTK66

Post by BTK66 »

Nick - Keep Calm and Paddle On! You know it makes sense. Hope you have a good one and to see you at Westmonster on Monday. I snapped my right cruciate again 3 weeks ago. It's meant a couple of last minute changes to our portaging technique but I can't wait for saturday. Have fun.

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Good luck to all.

Can't imagine doing the 4 day. Our house looks like a hurricane blew through just for the 1 day,,

See you in Westminster

andy g

Post by andy g »

Yes Good Luck to all
My crew 311 who are doing the senior doubles in their infamous yellow heavy Eclipse, (aka The Banana Boat , or the Yellow B**t**d ) will be starting at 09.00 so thanks for the warning about the cold , I will wrap them up warm for that first stretch.
I hope the wind keeps westerly, no flow and an easterly wind wind would be absolute purgatory.
Andy

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

I'm being a dutiful daughter and having Easter with my family ( so Ill need a rocket propelled missile to throw those Jelly Babies at Nick!) I will be following you all online. Best wishes everyone.
Liz

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

House is frantic. I'm hiding in the bedroom to avoid everyone.

How can one paddle cause so much

MarkEb

Post by MarkEb »

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Hooray!! It's finished...

My goodness it was low and slow out there. And I think quite a few folks were taken in by that '3.5 times the D race time' thing. Well today it was probably nearer 4...

But for all that - I wouldn't have missed it!

michielv

Post by michielv »

Congratulations! I don't know how the weather was in the UK but overhere in Holland it was really cold with temperatures around/just below the freezing point at night. I was really glad I was in a warm bed ;-)

andy g

Post by andy g »

Yes that one was really tough, much worse than last year.

Cold, and wet in the night, almost zero flows anywhere, and many very crowded portages, with lead crews not being over-considerate to those following at difficult get-ins like Fobney.

My team (team Pink, Eliza!) fared OK on the canal despite a 13 minute hold up at the tunnel, and reached Dreadnaught 30 minutes up. Unfortunately our troubles started there with one of the crew affected by a stomach bug so bad that we needed to arrange loo stops everywhere possible from Marsh to Dreadnaught. The loss of fluid and strength affected his paddling and we lost more than 3 hours over the river and tideway . They managed a creditable 24h 43m and were classified 52nd and got finishers medals which at one point we were very unsure about.

I hate to admit to enjoying the Support Crew for fear of being branded a masochist, but roll on next year.

Andy

kvin

Post by kvin »

Just sitting at home enjoying not paddling and not having to paddle tomorrow.... although the straight through last year was tough I hated having to get up and get to the start four times this year plus all the faffing about in between.

Day two was hard as my shoulders cramped up at Marsh, it was time to get back in the boat rather than let the supporters see a grown man cry (oh all right I might have had red eyes but that's all I'm admitting to). I was desperate to stop but couldn't. And as for the stretch up to Teddington Lock - it never ends. The Thames was flowing hard this morning which was great, if a bit daunting as it was swirly and full of debris. Lots of credit to the two other c1's as both looked a lot less stable than mine, and much less straight running, I had it easy by comparison. And as for the high kneeler, he was awesome - sixth overall, and he even managed somehow to get under the low bridge after Aldermaston. How did he do that!?

Son Ed, just 19, came third senior k1, so above all I'm a very proud dad!

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Kvin, you have good reason for all that pride! Is yours the best family performance (not sure if there's a trophy for that?) I for one could not do the 4 day. Once I've started I have to get there, or I'd never get back in the boat.

BTK - ah, you beat us by 28 seconds, you monkeys!!

And on that lead crews not being considerate - well, if there's one thing that gets my goat it's one crew sat in the water at the one boat sized put-in, daintily choosing between mars bars or jelly babies while the queue of crews waiting gets longer. If you're having a support DON'T BLOCK THE PUT-IN!!!

All in all though we had a great time, our support was fantastic and we managed to get to Teddington 20 minutes or so after high tide which was a huge plus.

Fell asleep in the boozer in the pm though... Was pretty tired.

andy g

Post by andy g »

Agreed 100% Hackworth
The worst issue we came across was a female crew (in gold lame leggings!) who put their boat in at the one feasible get on at Fobney and then vanished for more than 2 minutes for a loo stop.
If this ever happens again I will be sorely tempted to push their boat out into mid stream!
Andy
PS I am starting to feel half normal again, and already looking forward to next year! Should we start a new topic DW 2013?