anyone paddled the Waterside C course recently?

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
JDW72

anyone paddled the Waterside C course recently?

Post by JDW72 »

Hi all,

We're going to be paddling the Waterside C course tomorrow and I was wondering how bad the weed was on the canal from Pewsey? It's pretty bad on the canal sections between Guildford and Webridge and I'm wondering whether to put something on the bow to push the weed under the boat for tomorrow. Last week on the Wey we had a bow wave like a supertanker off the front....

We're taking the overstern boat which will help.

JDW72

Grouchmonkey

Re: anyone paddled the Waterside C course recently?

Post by Grouchmonkey »

I did Pewsey-Bruce Tunnel 2 weeks ago and it was fine on that stretch. Weed not a problem at all - but watch out for the horse flies!

BTK66

Post by BTK66 »

Totally agree on the Horse Flies. I wore 2 layers and they were still biting. Pewsey to the Tunnel is the worst stretch. I can also confirm that the ice has melted since the last race so you won't have a 6 mile portage to start.

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

Thanks very much for that. I shall not bother adapting the front of the boat but will stick a lightweight kag on for the bit before the tunnel to avoid the worst of the bites/stings....and take some wasp-eze.

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

Well, I'm pleased to say that there were no horseflies in evidence which was good. Not much weed either which was also handy. No apparent flow on the water until Newbury town centre though which made the last few miles a touch more arduous than hoped for and the water level was down a good 6 - 8 inches which made some of the portages quite high! Not sure we were all that elegant at times but we made it in 4hrs 24mins which I'm not unhappy with given that's the furthest we've ever paddled.

It was a dark old day though with lots of cloud. That tunnel's certainly dark in the middle when it's gloomy outside - we couldn't even see the water at one point which was just weird but we made it comfortably enough. We need to sort out what we're going to do with regards lights for the boat in the tunnel for the race next Easter as I'd like a bit of illumination. What's the general recommendation?

Also a fair bit of narrowboat carnage yesterday. Two boats stuck across the river just downstream of Hungerford. One with a full crew and full power on seemingly trying to create their own turning point by destroying the bank and the other boat completely empty and seemed to have drifted across the river. We portaged through the brambles and stinging nettles round the first one and portaged again round the second one stopping to re-moor it and check there was nobody on board....

Onwards...
JDW72