DW2011....

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
HamiltonMK

Re: DW2011....

Post by HamiltonMK »

Has anyone checked the weather forecast lately? It doesn't look too bad now. If you change the location for the forecast for where you think you'll be at that time it could be a good one. But considering this is England AND it's an Easter bank holiday, all bets are off.

I dont know about anyone else but just the thought of paddling now gets my nerves going.

http://www.metcheck.com

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

I have to confess I've given up looking more than 3 days out as it changes so much and none of them seem able to get it right.

For Saturday, metcheck has a southerly wind, xc weather has a howling easterly (20 - 25 mph :-o) and the bbc weather site has a gentle westerly. The temperatures range from 7 to 14 degrees C.

Sadly, the one thing they all agree on is that apart from next Wednesday, it ain't going to rain much in the next 10 days. Fingers crossed for a biblical deluge on Wednesday then or we're going to set off an hour earlier.

JDW72

mjmr1980

Post by mjmr1980 »

Hi all, just wondering if I could get a bit of advice on the kit requirements.

Battery powered forward facing white light to be displayed from dreadnought...

and

Torch to be ready to show in any direction on the Tideway..

would a head torch worn by the front paddler satisfy both of these requirements?

Also, cynical I know, but are there any further kit checks after Devizes (i.e. can we hand off the heavier items of survival kit to a support crew after a few miles)?

Thanks

silcockj

Post by silcockj »

mjmr1980 wrote: Also, cynical I know, but are there any further kit checks after Devizes (i.e. can we hand off the heavier items of survival kit to a support crew after a few miles)?
You are subject to random kit searches throughout the event. I've been stopped before and pulled aside where the whole process is run through checking out kit and emergency kit.

If you plan on bailing out some of your survival kit post devizes, have these considerations in mind.

1. Why were they included in 'survival kit' in the first place. you never know when you need to get into the emergency section.
2. Following this, if you find yourself in a sicky situ in the night and you need extra thermals and food because you fell in and you are getting hypothermic, what good is the kit in the support car which may not know where you are...
3. Finally, i am almost 100% sure if you dont have stuff you get severe penalties and or DSQ potientially.

my two cents? put up with it.... and read the rules...

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M »

One year I was stood under Windsor bridge to watch the junior race come through. I was not a support crew so I had no kit with me. A junior crew came though and fell in front of me.They swam safely to the bank. One crew member got out of the water and I helped the other empty the boat. By the time the boat was empty the paddler on the bank was on the floor shaking with severe hyperthermia. Luckly a couple of slow K1's stoped to help and we were able to put some dry kit on the paddlers and put both of the crew in the bivi bag. By the time the ambulance arrived. One othe crew member was unconscious and the second was shaking. I was thankfull for the safty kit that day.

When I was supporting the race in 2009 a crew went throgh Dreadnought reach without their proper bouancy aids.
A race umpire drove to Marsh and removed their race number from the boat on the spot.
I am sure similar action would be taken for deliberate breaking of any safety rules.

Mjmr1980 by not following the rules you are putting yourself in danger and putting the future of the race in jeopardy.

Mike.

lennart

Post by lennart »

safetykit for k2 can be done under 3 kilo, (current record so far I know 2.3 kilo) get that in a 15 kilo boat. then you have 9 kg pp to carry, if that is to much. what did you do this winter for prep work???? I guess I am a bit cross with this remark. Just get the gear in your boat and live with it. the weather will be good. lots of daylight for all competitors. pletny of time to train this year.becuase eastern is late and ice is gone since januari. have fun I know I will.

any one a list with and names of poratges and cordinates? that really will help until now I coudl not find one.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

silcockj

Post by silcockj »

lennart wrote:safetykit for k2 can be done under 3 kilo, (current record so far I know 2.3 kilo) get that in a 15 kilo boat. then you have 9 kg pp to carry, if that is to much. what did you do this winter for prep work???? I guess I am a bit cross with this remark. Just get the gear in your boat and live with it. the weather will be good. lots of daylight for all competitors. pletny of time to train this year.becuase eastern is late and ice is gone since januari. have fun I know I will.

any one a list with and names of poratges and cordinates? that really will help until now I coudl not find one.
I'll get one to you shortly matey.

James

lennart

Post by lennart »

thanks I looked at your place , but I guess I am dumb. or did not look to good.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

We are planning on having a small waterproof torch taped to the handle at the front of our boat which is our navigation light.

We also have headtorches which will be on us at all times (pocket during day, head during night) which we have assumed will fulfil the requirement to have a torch that you can shine in any direction (or whatever it says) and can also act as a spare navigation light should our torch conk out for some reason. Can somebody let me know if we've got that wrong?

I echo the sentiments expressed here though with regards discarding safety kit. All it's going to take is some idiot to drown themselves or freeze themselves to death and the race will be in serious danger of cancellation. Not having the right kit on you makes that all the more likely. Don't forget that the rules are written and approved generally by people who have completed the race so they will have a very sensible view on what is reasonable and what isn't. The rules are the same for everybody too - we are all in the same position on this so to discard items is simply cheating.

I know the various agencies that control parts of the course (Port of London and Environment agency etc) have their reservations about the whole thing from time to time and that the costs of insuring the event go ever upwards. Don't give the agencies an excuse to withdraw their permission or make the cost of insuring the event so expensive that nobody can afford to enter in future....

JDW72

mjmr1980

Post by mjmr1980 »

No arguements with those responses - was more out of curiosity than anything else.

And I wish my boat only weighed 16kg!

lennart

Post by lennart »

16 kilo boat , it is not to late for that. Kirton marsport, ivan and more. All are I guess willing to help you with thet quest. If the boat will be as nice to paddle as the one you do paddle now I am not sure
I will start friday on the 4 day. Hope all will end up in westminster without mayor injuries. In a time they will like.

HamiltonMK

Post by HamiltonMK »

Who's counting down the days now? It doesn't help when you vist the DW site to see if anything new has been posted and there it is..... the ticker count down in the top left corner. It used to be a gentle reminder to keep training. Now it feels like it's slowly unfurling it's middle finger at me, beckoning me closer so it can bite me in the a$$.

Survival kit, that's been covered to death now.

16kg boat? If I had the money, I'd have one already and now in race week far too late to change anything. Anyway I swear my boat has got heavier as the race has got closer.

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Not surprisingly, the subject of the DW came up last night at training.

Some things you might like to consider adding to your compulsory kit are -
-a couple of wing nuts, if you lose one off the footrest on a portage it is much quicker to fit a spare than hunt the original. We had one each extra on our seat pins. (Handed over 1 spare to a grateful crew)
-spare rudder, on the canal there are a lot of portages which aren't supported and they will be the ones where you drop the boat! (Voice of experience again)
- a couple of cable ties and a small length of gaffa tape.

Also consider carrying a lightweight sprint deck inside the boat for the canal section and swapping it for a zipped deck on the boat for the river.

Don't bother spending ages trying to compress your kit into the smallest possible space, they can, and did, check that the tiny freezer bag of blue fibres was a complete set of thermals in my size.

Good luck and have a good time :)
Liz

mjmr1980

Post by mjmr1980 »

Well, the weather forecasts seem to have agreed a 10mph headwind for the whole race - should make it interesting.

Far too busy now worrying about various bits and pieces for the race now to actually do anything at work as well - still, just three days to go I guess.

(Just posting because everyone else is sick of hearing me talk about boats and Lucozade suuplies!)

Jonny Bravo

Post by Jonny Bravo »

Good luck all. Weird year - all winter getting enough thermals and the biggest issue is going to be making sure you have enough sunscreen... Ironically last time I did the race was 2004, and it was warm and sunny then too - maybe it's me!

Weather forcasts are utter rubbish - they are seldom remotely right, so see what happens on the day. Techinically BBC are saying light rain showers for friday - not enough to make any difference to the flow rate - just enough to be annoying, but i'll take rain showers over the sunshine of today any day.

Shop will be closed from Thursday night through to Tuesday, so if you need anything get it from the mobile shop at devizes friday and saturday morning

Hope all goes well for all

Craig

Well - hope it all goes well for everyone except for the guy who put my back out on Waterside D - hope he has a truly horrific time.....

kvin

Post by kvin »

Best of luck Craig - there's two of us and we're sitting down in a relatively comfy seat in a nice stable c2 and I'm nervous, doing DW on one knee balanced on a cut out log (albeit a nice shiny light one) doesn't bear thinking about. I shall try and come down to shout encouragement tomorrow!

Son Edd doing junior k2 dislocated his shoulder (badly) five weeks ago, so is in for a weekend of pain. He'd entertained thoughts of a good finish but I'll be very proud of him if he finishes.

Good luck to everyone else - we're off about 9.30 on saturday so will very briefly be close to the front of the field until everyone overtakes us. If (and indeed when) you pass two old gits in a c2 with "Tortoise" on the front give us a wave, if it makes you fall in it'll be our only chance of keeping up for a bit (and we'll need a laugh).

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

OK, so here's an alternative DW tale.

Tuesday the phone rings. It's the doctor.

Apparently my thyroid is on fire and I may explode at any moment. Heart racing, sweating, tremor etc etc. The consultant says no stress and absolutely no dehrydration.

I say "will this have any impact on my doing a 125 mile canoe race?"

Forbidden. Heart attack likely if I do.

So we won't be there this weekend. Second year in a row when medical issues stopped us at the last minute - at least it was my partner last year!

At least I should be able to claim the sticker - the world's most expensive sticker!!

So really the very very best of luck to you all, drink plenty and remember to try to enjoy it.

And we'll see you next year.

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M »

Good luck to everybody who are taking part.

I will marshalling at Shepperton so I will try and give you all some encouragement as you come through.

Mike

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

Good luck everyone.

This is what we set out to do when we decided upon this madcap adventure 2 years ago and it feels good that it is finally here.

We're in boat 327 - a blue/grey Condor with "Ovacome" stickers on the side. Give us a wave if you see us. We've also raised over £2000 for an Ovarian Cancer charity makes the whole thing very worthwhile to us.

Thanks for all the help over the past 2 years.

Be careful and have fun,
James

www.justgiving.com/jimkel-dw2011

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

Never in my wildest dreams did I think during all the training that we have done during the last 8 months would we have to face the weather conditions that we'll get tomorrow. I still didn't stop me ordering a spare pair of pogies though. :-/

Anyway, good luck to all of you andagain, thanks to all those who have provided me with tips, answers and sugestions. Hopefully it'll all come together for a good run down to Westminster over the weekend. Boat 336, the patched up, heavy, blue discovery with 2 wobbly blokes on board. really looking forward to it now.....

lemming

Post by lemming »

Good luck guys. I'll be thinking of you.

Mostly I'm jealous but I plan to do it again in 2013 or 14 when the kids are a little bigger!
Anyone who thinks that paddling involves rowing is talking rollocks

JasonA

Post by JasonA »

Good luck all, hope you all get down safely and achieve the goals you have set. Hope to get out later in the day tomorrow so will watch out for you all

Jonny Bravo

Post by Jonny Bravo »

Good luck all. It's horribly hot out there - there's no flow either - but...

With half the field doing the 4 day race, and the other half doing the straight through - there are half the boats on the water, so lots of clean clear water to get your speed up. There are a few spots where the reeds have been trimmed and it's like paddling through porridge - notably Pewsey - but on the whole - lots of clear water, so stay hydrated, keep covered up and have a good race

Craig

michielv

Post by michielv »

I noticed Lennart and Jouke are doing really well in the K2 4 day race.

@Craig, I hope there were some technical difficulties in getting your times on the result list? I hope you did paddle on Saturday and Sunday?

Cheers,

Michiel

Jonny Bravo

Post by Jonny Bravo »

Unfortunately not - The K1 that paddled through my paddle blade on Waterside D did more damage than previously thought and my back failed halfway through day 1. First half of day 1 all was going brilliantly and I was on time of 7-8 hours, but the knackered vertebrae just gave up and the last 7 miles were the most painful experience of my life. I pushed through to finish out of principle, having failed on D, but have done considerable damage so was unable to carry on the next day, as was unable to walk.

Monday today - and I can just about hobble around, but need a walking stick to get up the stairs - causing much hilarity to my family and friends.

Sadly not fit enough to get to the finish to support everyone coming through (or to drop a breeze block on a certain paddler...) so following everything online.

Well done to all those that braved the heat, headwind and lack of flow to cross that line and my deepest sympathies and commiserations to those that didn't.

HamiltonMK

Post by HamiltonMK »

Hi to all and for the senior doubles in particular

Sorry to hear about your back Craig. Maybe next year?

A big thanks to all on this forum, the advice has been spectacular. Although I did scoff at a weed deflector / coat hanger. I thought of nothing else as the front of our boat looked like a florists shop through Pewsey and others!

Anyway we did it. Although the final approach to Westminster bridge, about 600 metres was against the tide, felt like paddling in the north altantic ocean, we kept the boat up and made it. I cried like a baby when another crew tipped and couldn't get back in. To come so far, to have given it everything and be within reach of the end and then have to get in the rescue boat. Devastating. I wasn't the only one who cried for them either.

I'm hoping my wife wont take too seriously my comments about never doing it again. Guess I'll find out next year.

Mk

nick_roberts

Post by nick_roberts »

well that was tough
did the overnight and was all going great until 80 miles and dawn when we both ran out of energy, managed to limp o with the help of some red bull and v pleased to have made it
never again (until I repress the momory of it)

barmy

Post by barmy »

well we made it to Hurley where we had to retire as the last two miles had taken an hour due to my partner sustaining a back injury.

It was however a comedy of errors from the start.

1/My partner got heatstroke
2/we capsized at the next portage (cured the heatstroke)
3/we snapped a paddle and had to wait half an hour for the replacement very kindly supplied by another crew in the team
4/support vehicle 1 got a puncture
5/support vehicle 2 went to the wrong lock
5/support vehicle 2 then lost their car keys

we completed 65 miles in 16ish hours Can't remember when we stopped and it took ages to get through to race control.

Out of sheer cussedness I think I am going to have to go back for a re match, I will not let the beast beat me....:)
Just wondering when my stomach muscles are going to allow me to sneeze without the threat of exploding. That and thefact that my derrier feels as if its been cheese gratered for 16 hours....
The obstacle isthe path
www.paddlemad.blogspot.com

andy g

Post by andy g »

Well it was pretty tough for the support crews as well!
Last year were desperate to keep warm in full exposure gear, this year we were fighting off biting insects and trying to find wide brimmed hats. (the DW merchansdise shop would have made a fortune if they stocked white panamas or similar)
The supermarkets in Devizes ran out of large containers of water , so we had to import from further afield.
Last year it was all hot drinks at every stop and plenty of warm food , this year it was iced cold drinks (so we had to find ice) and not so much cold food. Last uear it was hot boxes, this year it was fridges and cool boxes.
We did get a few bizarre requests though , one for a cold chocolate milk shake to drink, and another for smoked fish to eat, neither of which were particularly easy to find when driving through the Thames Valley in the small hours,(or were they just winding us up?).
Mind you from the comments of other support crews our guys were giving us an easy time of it , some of the tales about feeding requirements seemed positively obsessive.

The crew did us proud, they said they were going to start slowly and build up , and that is what they did. For a long time they were the fastest crew home but eventually finshed 4th after some of the faster guys came through later in the tide window.
From the calculations I have done so far they seemed to be faster than target on the canal, but slower on the river and tideway.

However proud I am of our guys I think the performance of the weekend must go to the 74th crew home , under the name of The Epic Tri , these guys had done the 3 peaks challenge , then a JOG to Lands End cycle , then finally competed in the DW, with no breaks in between, they must be truly cream crackered after that.

Does anyone know what happened to Ivan and Ben?

Andy

JDW72

Post by JDW72 »

Well, that was brutal. It all started well, canal went according to plan apart from dropping the boat and bending the rudder. Luckily it took to being bent back without complaint. We stormed through Reading, screaming our heads off with delight (literally) as the flow finally picked up. We got to Dreadnaught 2 minutes behind our 23 hour schedule.

Sonning was OK, Shiplake was OK, Marsh things started to get a bit tougher and from there it all unravelled fairly swiftly as the lack of flow meant we slowed down as we tired instead of keeping a constant speed. Thanks to our chief supporter who was pretty brutal at times getting us back in the boat and the fact that we didn't have a bad patch at the same time we made it to Teddington. From there I have to confess that I mostly steered and did what I could with the paddles as my mate in the back did most of the paddling. I'd still be there now if he hadn't!

Loads of great moments but three stand out...

- JasonA, from these very boards appearing on his bike on the canal and cycling with us for ages talking us through the route, what line to take, how far the portages were etc. Fantastic to have him alongside us.
- the narrowboat on the canal who had stationed their kids 100 yards upstream to shout out the number of the crews so the parents could give us encouragement using our names - classy move and very welcome

and lastly, a true comedy moment, one of our night support crew at his first portage (Bray, Boveney, Boulters - no idea, in fact I think we did Bray twice to be honest), as we came in asked "what do you want, Nuts or Zoo?'. We were so accustomed to answering "flapjack, sausage roll" etc that it took us about 5 seconds to realise that he'd decided that we might need some "cheering up" in the wee small hours and lads mags were the way to do it. An amusing spot in what was a tough night!

We limped home in 26 and a bit hours. 3 hours slower than we thought. At the end the nice lady who gave me my medal said that the conditions had slowed the quick crews by 2 hours and slow crews by 3. Sounds about right to me.

Well done to everyone who competed, whether you finished or not. My life has changed. I now love rain, and hate sun!
JDW72