History of Slalom boats

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
Dave Manby

Re: History of Slalom boats

Post by Dave Manby » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Serpent's tail Slalom re-post any boat identification of people identification. Over 50 years ago so some really old paddlers have to exercise their grey matter!

I have more footage of later Llangollen town slaloms which I will post over the next few weeks so we can wallow in nostalgia!

Also I met a paddler on the Llangollen canal the other weekend in an old kayak when I asked what it was his reply was cheap All the looks were for a Pyranah boat and after talking to Graham we think it was probably a Trident MkII so built around 1971/2

Jon352

Post by Jon352 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm

Here's something of a rarity from the late seventies, a Krakatoa Switch. It's been on for at least a couple of months - I contacted the vendor to see if he was an old friend who had one, but it wasn't him. I sold my old Apollo Ultragil from the early eighties on Ebay in the autumn - got a whopping £22 for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canoe-C1-Slal ... Sw8gVX5lh4

David.Cuthill

Post by David.Cuthill » Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 am

In 1967 I used to paddle in a KW3 donated to Forth Canoe Club by a British Slalom Team FCC club member member Brian Palmer.
It was clear hull and British Racing Green deck.
Keith White integrated seat and cockpit. Cockpit had the trademark pointed cockpit fore and aft. There was virtually no rocker and needed to be turned on the top of a wave, or carved into a breakout.
It was a very lowline boat and had knee-bulges.
It also had large, white, hinged mouldings for the knee bars.
Getting in and out was a learned sequence. One leg at a time. Both kneebars down to start. Right knee down first. Lift the knee-bar up, move knee right under the bar. Then the same palaver for the left leg. Getting out was the opposite sequence.

David.Cuthill

Post by David.Cuthill » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

In 1966 I paddled in a Jaycee Cobra. It was made in a four piece mould and had parting lines in the hull. There was no gunwale joint.

David.Cuthill

Post by David.Cuthill » Mon May 15, 2017 11:33 am

In 1968 I wanted a Prijon Isere slalom boat. But they were £36.00 So I bought the WW Centre (Pateley Bridge, Yorks) Inn Spezial. This was the "very similar" version by Chris Hawkesworth. Which was cheaper at £28 and allowed me to buy a new pair of Prijon wooden slalom paddles. £6.00 from a clubmember returning from Europe.
In those days there was a ban on taking currency out of the country over a limit of £50.

David.Cuthill

Post by David.Cuthill » Mon May 15, 2017 11:58 am

In the big fast, heavy course at Bourg St Maurice; Langford, Calverley and MacLeod had won slalom Team Silver for Britain in 1968.
In the ''70 's big volume slalom boats came in as a response to the imagined huge waves of the proposed new Augsburg Eiskanal, as used for the Slalom Olympics in 1972. I bought an Olymp IV. The biggest one.
In those days the slalom poles had to be as close to the water as possible without touching or being set in motion by the water.
We trained hard and developed a technique for tail-ducking these big boats under the poles. The British team of Mitchell, MacLeod and Calverley didn't even make individual top 20. I remember seeing them at Grandtully in their Olymps. They were powerful looking and awe inspiring.
A new era would emerge in the next 5 years.

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm

Anyone recognise this slalom site? From about 1970 - I can recognise John Wilde, John Liddell, and John Gosling in the crowd at the prize giving and Roger Armstrong picking up the tankard. http://s110.photobucket.com/user/coruh8 ... 4.html?o=6

badgeonUKRGB

Post by badgeonUKRGB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 pm

Andy Pt wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:41 pm
The Ferrara was a Baron (I'm sure Baron was spelt with one 'r') and there was one at Shepperton this year, which must be the last one afloat!
The Ferrara was replaced with the C,D and E types which were all different volumes of the same boat (I think Baron were the first to cut boats for different volume/paddler sizes). The Barons were great boats, really well made, but they did'nt sell in huge numbers like the Pyranha's and Gaybo's.

I had the first Pyranha Premier, a great boat in its day, but the build quality was crap - they were all the same - after a season of Thames slaloms (no rocks!) it had more holes in it than swiss cheese.

I have'nt seen any mention of Shadows? can't remember the model names but our club (Millbrook) had loads of them.

Not sure about being the "last one afloat" for the Baron Ferrara. I have one in my garden RIGHT now. I have had it since 1982 but it was built in 1979. It was a great slalom boat and I loved paddling it. It is the equivalent of my wife's "little black dress" - one day I WILL be able to fit back in it. Until then it is the preserve of the kids of many of my friends.

Nick Gates

Post by Nick Gates » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm

ArroImage
Arrowcraft Extreme.
Ummmm