I've just ordered my first "Masters" marathon K1

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
Jon Wood

I've just ordered my first "Masters" marathon K1

Post by Jon Wood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 pm

There has been a thread in the past: “Wobbly Racing Boats”
I thought I would start a new one to recount my experience of finding a marathon K1 to suit me.
Background: I’m in my early forties, have dabbled in many forms of paddlesport over the years, but seriously took up marathon kayak training last autumn. My ambitions are to have a boat that I will enjoy training in and taking part in local Hasler & winter races.
I weigh 100kg and have a stocky build-not ideal for most boats. I should also point out that I haven’t taken a swim out of any of the boats listed (I’m still waiting for that experience). But I do have a damaged inner ear which makes balance and equilbrium a little more interesting.
Started out in a Cirrus-very stable and a good platform for working on technique. But I was soon on the lookout for something a little more sporty.
Tried out a Sceptre and Raven head to head. Raven got the thumbs up for comfort (and as nobody else in the club seemed to like the boat I got to adopt it). According to Marsport I am a little heavy for the Raven. It sits very stable and I leave a very big wake behind it. Paddling in waves or wash gives quite a wet ride. I’ve been training and racing in this kayak since January. Since around April I’ve been looking out for the next step up. Below is a list of older design club boats I’ve tried as well as new “Masters” mid-stability racing boats.

Cleaver-X (Kirton)
Like a rocket in a straight line. My bum’s too big for this boat and was wedged against the hull. Stopping & turning was a very shaky experience. Boat went back on the club rack after about 30 minutes. The Cleaver is still a very fast twitchy hull and I’m not up to that level of balance.

Salza
Big volume comfortable kayak but even with the seat set all the way back it trimmed very nose-heavy.

Lancer (Kirton)
Nice stable platform, feels slightly quicker than the Raven. However a bit narrower on the hips, and would be uncomfortable on extended paddles.

Vanquish Vintage (Nelo)
I’m too big for this boat. It didn’t quite sink, but it was close. Also too twitchy for me. Didn’t help having a slack steering system in the demo boat. There is also a Vintage (Large) but I didn’t get a chance to try one out.

Eta (Marsport)
New boat for the larger paddler. Unfortunately the hull walls are quite steep and it was too narrow in the cockpit for me.

Puma (Elio)
Comfortable, solid platform. If I was 10 kg lighter this would quite possibly have been the boat I would have gone for. However my experience matched the manufacturer’s recommendations and it sat too low. The Puma also gets some mentions in the DW thread.

Viper 51 (Nelo)
Like getting back into a Cirrus.

Vanquish Classic (Nelo)
The Vanquish detuned even further with more width. The hull is deeper and narrower than the Raven, and the front deck is a little higher. It is considerably more wobbly, and also seems more lively as it sits up on a wave.

I’ve watched The Reading CC website and eBay for months and there haven’t been too many suitable second-hand boats come up. The one boat I haven’t had a chance to try is Marsport’s older design the Macros. Vajda also make a “masters” kayak, the M-Sonic. At the time I enquired, there were none in the country. What about a new Kirton? The boat range on the website seems rather outdated and I received no reply to my emailed enquiry.

So I’ve finally come to a decision and ordered a new Vanquish Classic. It will arrive while I’m away and probably won’t get a chance to use it until December. Brrrr. I feel that first swim coming up already.
I should thank everyone who has offered to lend me boats: Paul at Marsport, Nick at Elio, Tim from Basingstoke CCC. And Ivan Lawler at Elmbridge who has patiently watched me paddle around.
Would anyone like to add comments on the boats I’ve listed or to expand the review list?

kvin

K1s

Post by kvin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:20 pm

I'm still hoping to get an elio puma (though the factory takes a laid back view of dates....). I'm told it is the same as a kirton tor. I'm about 95kg and 6'3 and fit in to a tor which seemed to be stable enough for me but the foot bars need to be moved to allow for my leg length. Kirton and elio were happy to build a boat with the footrest moved 10cm if needed.

Did you try the marsport epsilon? That seems to be the equivalent of the puma/tor?

I was hoping to get a new boat before the chill set in as well but it seems I'll be trying it out as the winds get colder!

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 am

Kevin,
I don’t have a problem with being long-legged. However I did find that foot space is quite limited in both the Elio and Nelo (size ten feet in size nine Teva Protons). Ivan is investigating whether the footrest flanges can be raised so steering can be done with toes, rather than the tiller ending up at the widest part of my feet. (I recall the Elio has higher tiller)
There is this association of wobbliness and speed (as long as the paddler has sufficient balance and confidence to still put on the power)
It’s one of the reasons I’ve gone for something a bit more tippy. On the first try out I still felt OK turning the boat in the current. With most of my paddling done on the canal I am confident that I can grow into the boat. And I’m looking at a kayak for training/racing in for up to two hours, not for completing the DW when the boat may need to forgive a tired paddler. (And I thought I’d given up on competitive paddling!)

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:42 am

I have gone for an Elio Puma. I put in my order on 24th August and Nick told me last night that he expects to hear in the next 4-5 days when delivery should be. I think that is pretty good.

Marsport wer quoting March next year I think which is a touch too late for DW.

Kirton were not as long but very long.

Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Jon,
I will be interested to hear how you get on in the Vanquish Classic as there are a couple or paddlers in my club who are looking for stable K1's.

Which conctruction did you order?

On my recent vist to Denmark (Tour De Gudena) the Vajda M-Sonic appeared to be very popular.It is a nice looking boat. I think the stability should be similar to the Tor.

I also saw Vajda Supersonic with wood veneer laminated into the deck. Nearly had me drawling all the way to my wallet.

Regards

Mike

ChrisBainbridge

Post by ChrisBainbridge » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi, as I said above, I put my order in on 24 August. Nick emailed me to say it is on its way. I should pick it up on either friday or saturday. Exactly 6 weeks. I think that is pretty good. If anybody wants a try and can get to the Derby/ Nottingham area then let me know.

Chris
http:\\bainbridgesabbatical.blogspot.com
www.hand-surgery.co.uk
www.dupuytrens.co.uk

Jon Wood

Construction choice

Post by Jon Wood » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:16 am

Mike,
I was recommended the "WWR" (Carbon/Kevlar epoxy vacuum) layup. The other marathon racing construction is the more expensive "E" which uses honeycomb and heat curing.
Ivan's demo "Classic" is in WWR and I don't think I'll have too many problems jogging along with it in one hand.

Mike_M

Post by Mike_M » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Jon,
The WWR construction is a good choice. This is the same construction as my Vanquish. I have had my boat nearly five years, and the durability has been generally good. The only repairs I have had to make are to the platform and the cockpit.

I am sure If I had purchased the honeycomb construction the boat it would be a wreck by now.

I purchased a honeycomb Judge for DW and that only lasted about 2 years.

Regards

Mike.

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:38 pm

My Vanquish Classic was delivered today-5 weeks after placing the order.

It is very shiny and beautifully finished.

The trusty Raven took me round today’s Richmond course-my last Hasler of the year. I should now have a few months to get to know the new boat.

There were a few differences between the demo boat and my own one:
Nelo have added a thin layer of unidirectional carbon in the cockpit floor, which should reinforce the high wear area.
They have switched to steering by stainless wire rather than cord. Should be longer lasting!
I didn’t order a pull bar, but it has one fitted. I will see whether it gets in the way or I’m happy using it.

Next week I will try to get a few pics to compare the new kayak with the older club boat, along with posting any swim reports.
After that the new boat is likely to sit on the rack until January (work getting in the way again-grr)

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:28 am

Yesterday was the maiden voyage.
Wet & blustery conditions were not a great portent.

I hope the picture shows how the boat still has some added width around the number plate area:

The sharp vertical bow makes a brilliant leaf catcher on the canal and compared to the rounded profile I'm used to, is much harder to bounce clean.
The steering will also take some getting used to, with limited room to move feet around the tiller. I have removed the pull-bar for now.

When the Vanquish is running clear of debris it does glide with very little effort. What I need now is miles in the boat, and to relax. My technique yesterday was pretty weak and I didn't realise how tense I was until the boat was back on the rack.

Jonny Bravo

Post by Jonny Bravo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 am

Sorry we've just horrendous build times - we're just unbelievably busy.

There'll be a bigger volume eta out soon, for the larger framed paddler, and a small volume in the new year

Will also have a second hand fullcarbon kevlar macros up for grabs soon, for a customer trade in....

Will post details online once we've got it

Craig @ marsport

Jon Wood

Re: I've just ordered my first "Masters" marathon K1

Post by Jon Wood » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:32 pm

My first ever swim out of a marathon boat.
And I cannot recommend the Grand Union Canal in the middle of January.

I think it was several small things all conspiring together:
First outing in any boat in about 4 weeks.
New shoes. A bit stiffer than the old ones, and steering was difficult.
Hands getting slippy after navigating a stretch of diesel covered canal.
So I got into a mess when avoiding traffic and missing floating debris (wouldn’t want to chip the nose on my new boat)

Fortunately my club mates were able to sort out the boat while I attempted to get my breathing under control. Obviously this occurred almost as far from the clubhouse as we were paddling today.
So for tomorrow’s Wey Hare & Hounds the Raven will be getting another outing.
Still a couple of months to the first Hasler of the season...I’ll need them.

paulpaulblue

Post by paulpaulblue » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:23 am

"My first ever swim out of a marathon boat."

From somebody who swims upto ten times a year you sound super stable to me.
my old boat is a Raven which I managed to get to Div 6,good boat.
I then went on to a javlin for a year,then moved up to very old Jaguar which i paddle in Div5.

maybe Raven=cold or winter and Nelo=hot or summer

Paul

silcockj

Post by silcockj » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:53 pm

I paddle the Aylings Kobra which is a very nice marathon boat, but the cleaver x is a nice one too. used to use one at school. i'm not so experinced in the whole no width restriction new boats, what are they like?

James

Jonny Bravo

Post by Jonny Bravo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 pm

Not really any difference in stability - there are loads of different stability level craft out there now - but there is definately a difference in speed!

most paddlers are quite friendly - if you see someone roughly the same build as you ask to have a go! (if they're the same build it savews having to fiddle around with their settings of seat and footrest - but most paddlers are friendly enough to let you have a go

If you're down our way feel free to pop in for a paddle anytime

Craig @ Marsport

roblee8g

Post by roblee8g » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 am

Jon,
Congratulations on the new boat. In October last year i bought a Nelo Vanquish Vintage L (E) as my first K1 at age 51 and after a 25 year layoff after 8 years or so of surf ski racing.

At the time i bought my boat, I didn't realise that there was a Classic (stability rating 3), and, at the time I thought the Vintage was rating 2.5. Now I see the Nelo site has assigned the Vintage with a rating 2.

After 3 solid months of paddling (4 times/week), I have had many a swim, even in the middle of sprint regattas, but now I feel reasonably comfortable most of the time, but are easily unsettled when in the wash. I hope this aspect will improve with more experience & practice. I have no success in bouncing the boat up and down like the juniors do with their Epic Legacys (rating 1).

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has paddled both the Vintage and the Classic and is able to describe the differences in stability under various conditions.

Robert Lee
Adelaide, Australia

alphasports

Post by alphasports » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 pm

This thread is ancient (it's now Oct 2013) but I'm hoping a few people are still subscribed!

My story:I own a both a 2009 Nelo Viper 51 and a 2009 Vanquish Classic (oddly purchased in reverse order, see below!) after spending my first season 6 years ago in a SRS Delphine, a boat I mastered with relative ease after a couple of obsessive months. After learning on the Delphine, I ordered the Classic after being assured by the dealer than the transition wouldn't be too tough. Wrong. Initially things went ok, I mean a difficult transition with many swims, but I hung in there for several months and gradually managed to stay upright! Problem is that now, after 5 full seasons with the Classic I am still very twitchy; some days are relatively good but when I am unusually stressed or otherwise mentally unfit, I am a total mess on the boat, sometimes barely able to leave the dock. Recent high work-related stress has made the last 2 outings so bad that I figure I regressed close to 4 of the past 5 years' worth of progress. I mean really, really bad. :)

To go backwards in time for a moment, after the first 3 years of this transitional nonsense I bought a used WWR Viper 51 as a "cold weather" or "adverse conditions" boat, which provides essentially Delphine-like stability with Nelo quality. I can handle this boat with ease, no problem at all. These days I usually start off with 4 kms of Viper to get my rhythm, stroke, etc, then finish with 4 kms in the Classic. But the last several Classic outings have been a regressive nightmare...forget mastering stroke, rotation, catch...I often can barely stay upright.

FWIW I used a couple of 3-4 kg sandbags for the first few seasons, with a minor stability benefit, and finally dumped those a couple years ago with no adverse effects at the time. This season just seems to be a writeoff for me, in this boat.

The reason for this post is to find out if anyone else experiences these same erratic levels of what I call "the yips"... mental "paralysis" sometimes so bad that I'll freeze while out on the water!!! Crazy.

On top of all this, I am in Montreal CAN and have the incredible privilege of being able to paddle on the Olympic Basin, a 2km dedicated facility right downtown, so conditions tend to be very good.

If anyone has some good solid advice (other than "get rid of the Classic" !) I'd appreciate your stories. I apologize for this story being all over the map, I'm so pissed off right now that I need to vent!!!!!!!

Cheers

kvin

Post by kvin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 pm

I've never progressed beyond a kirton tor and I definitely get the wobbles so bad every now and then that I hate paddling it. Same in a k2. So why not just use a stable boat? At our Club we get lots of paddlers who insist on getting in to the tippiest radical exciting boat which they can only just keep upright and then use dreadful technique as they are so unstable - low arms, poor rotation, lots of support strokes.

Use a stable boat with good technique, high arms, good trunk rotation, you'll probably go faster. Or do what I did and get a racing c1 (wenonah j203), encourage your equally unstable paddling partner in to a canoe, buy a pro boat and paddle that. The only pain is we're now unstable in the pro boat and not looking forward to using it on the river in bad conditions.........

PhilipK

Post by PhilipK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:54 pm

The Classic is quite stable if you weigh 85 kg or more. If you weigh alot less it may be too wide and float to high.
Try a lower seat, practice paddleing backwards to improve your support strokes, close your eyes to make it more difficult.
Hope it helps!

alphasports

Post by alphasports » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 am

kvin wrote:I've never progressed beyond a kirton tor and I definitely get the wobbles so bad every now and then that I hate paddling it. Same in a k2. So why not just use a stable boat? At our Club we get lots of paddlers who insist on getting in to the tippiest radical exciting boat which they can only just keep upright and then use dreadful technique as they are so unstable - low arms, poor rotation, lots of support strokes.

Use a stable boat with good technique, high arms, good trunk rotation, you'll probably go faster. Or do what I did and get a racing c1 (wenonah j203), encourage your equally unstable paddling partner in to a canoe, buy a pro boat and paddle that. The only pain is we're now unstable in the pro boat and not looking forward to using it on the river in bad conditions.........
You're definitely in the zone with your comment. I suppose one problem is that the nelo catalog has a huge hole right where I paddle, and I own both boats on each side of the hole! The viper is very docile and the next boat up the line is the classic. I have definitely zeroed in on the fact that ambient stress has a huge symptomatic effect on my paddling, so I suppose that should be target no 1.

Here in Montreal we have a month left in the season before they empty the Olympic basin, so I'll make the best of it and report back! cheers

sensiblesimon

Post by sensiblesimon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:01 pm

I have described my stability problems whilst trying to adapt to K1s as the yips too! I am also in my 40s with a stressful job and limited time each week to paddle. I had done ok in a stable K1 (lance) by getting to div7 but anything less stable has been a long term nightmare. I tried all sorts of tricks and different club boats, low seat, paddles, not going out when it's windy or river levels are high etc, etc. Some days I paddled well then a bad session would set me back to square one again. Basically paddling ceased to be enjoyable and was yet more stress to add to that at work.

I tried an alternative approach by organising some sessions with a hypnotherapist and taking up an offer of sessions with a psychologist at work. This has definitely helped - not just for paddling but also for work and home life. I have also found that doing some support and capsize drills in a safe place such as near a sandy bank also makes me feel super stable and confident for the rest of the session on the water. I am finally progressing in my K1 (an old Rapier) and paddling is enjoyable if not particularly fast yet. I have decided that adapting to marathon boats from a lifetime of slalom and whitewater may take a few years and not to get stressed about it any more. Progress is going to be by small steps - simply not as fast as during teens or twenties. I am deliberately doing some sessions once or twice a month in boats which I am more comfortable in such as a WWR or sea kayak so paddling is not always a mental battle.

It may be worthwhile considering if a holistic approach to your life and anxieties could help? One of the many contributing factors behind the success of the British Cycling Team has been their employment of not just psychology support but an actual psychiatrist to help their athletes. If it is good enough for them, getting help to sort your head out is worth considering. Good luck!

Redline

Post by Redline » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am

kvin wrote:Use a stable boat with good technique, high arms, good trunk rotation, you'll probably go faster. Or do what I did and get a racing c1 (wenonah j203), encourage your equally unstable paddling partner in to a canoe, buy a pro boat and paddle that. The only pain is we're now unstable in the pro boat and not looking forward to using it on the river in bad conditions.........
An interesting comment that speaks directly to me and prompted me to sign up to reply/ask something. I am just starting to look for an efficient kayak for the smaller, mostly flat water lakes in Switzerland. The Viper 51 keeps coming up as a decent compromise. In Canada, I did a lot of marathon racing, either with my friend in a normal 18' Jensen or solo in a J-180. I also did several years of whitewater slalom in a C1. How does the stability of a modest kayak like the Viper compare to a solo marathon C1? Of course I will have to try before I buy, but it would be nice to narrow the selection down a bit (5'10", 70kg). I am looking for something for evening outings and also a racing series that does 10k on the Lake of Constance. It doesn't need to be an absolute missile, but I appreciate also the feel of moving a fairly efficient hull through the water.

Cheers.

kvin

Post by kvin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:04 pm

I find the j203 very stable now compared to almost any kayak! Having done Devizes Westminster in a k1 and in the c1 I've spent a good few hours in them both. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 the most stable I'm happy in a marsport laance or a marsport hobby (8 and 7 respectively) and they are the nearest to the j203 in stability terms. A kirton tor (stability 6) is (to my mind) much tippier than the 203.

I've not paddled a Viper, but I think the Viper its more stable than the tor. Others may know better. If so, then not far off a j203..... Having said that, paddler weight clearly effects stability so the same boat will react differently.

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi Redline,

What you need is a hybrid! A canoe which also performs well as a kayak and it just so happens that I know of just the boat for you.

The Darkness :

• Made of carbon fibre
• Weighs 8kgs
• ICF compliant for racing
• Stability about 4 – 5
• Low profile to avoid wind effect
• Stunningly beautiful!

At 5’10” and 70kgs, you fit perfectly within the desired weight bracket (I’m 5’8” 74kgs)

As a canoe:

As a kayak:

I may be a tad biased because I developed, designed and manufacture it but you are welcome to try it if you’re interested. Contact me at: nickadnitt@aol.com

Check out some video footage at:

http://s675.photobucket.com/user/nickad ... t=3&page=1

HughP

Post by HughP » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Alphasports, I bought a SRS Volcan, thinking that paddling that wobbly boat on flat water would improve my ability to race a much more stable Westside Thunderbolt on the ocean. I have been paddling a long time, but not much in wobbly boats - I started off with slalom racing and have done plenty of recreational whitewater since then. I have only been using wing paddles for a couple of years so my stroke is not fully established.

I never fell out of the Volcan. I used to record the number of support strokes I did, and got to where on a calm day I could get through an outing without a support stroke. But I felt that my stroke was deteriorating as a result of paddling it - because every stroke was compromised a little by the need to get stability from the blade: holding on too long at the back, or adjusting the timing or placement of the catch.

The most progress I made with that boat was when I had a few outings in a more stable K1.

It is a mistake to think that all you have to do to make a boat go well is stay upright: you have to be far more comfortable than that (though I don't know whether that applies at elite level: the guys on the TV look very wobbly on the start-line of sprint races).

That's a long way of saying 'Get rid of the Classic'. I would have made an offer (I live just over the border) but I have just acquired a Kirton Typhoon which is probably very similar.

Redline

Post by Redline » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Interesting boat, Nick. But somehow if I want a sit-and-switch, I would still have a strong attachment to the Jensen boats. Too many good memories of paddling them.

duffch

Post by duffch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Now that I'm getting on a bit (almost 63) and have a few parts that are not as flexible as they used to be I've also been looking for a more stable boat. I tried a Nelo Classic and persevered with it for 3 years. I never fell out of it but, at only 70kg, I could never get it to sit comfortably in anything other than relatively flat water. I agree with the comment that you must be at least 85kg to stop this boat bouncing around or riding up on the wash. The Kirton Typhoon was a boat that I then tried as an alternative but, despite the fact that it was right for my weight and felt quite stable, I didn't enjoy paddling it much - it just seemed a bit sluggish. I also tried a Zastera Master Sprinter but found it uncomfortable. Then I was given the opportunity to try a Hody TK1 Marlin. On the face of it this is a stable touring boat but I was surprised at just how fast it is, even in the heavy glass construction that I first used. I'd also tried the Nelo Viper and found it too heavy and slow for race training. I'm now paddling a lightweight marathon build Hody Marlin which is very forgiving of my various broken bits but in which I have no trouble keeping up with paddlers of a similar ability paddling theoretically faster boats, including the Tor and Typhoon. Over the years I've paddled a Lancer, Javelin, Jaguar, Tor, Classic and a few others and results in time trials would indicate that there is no significant deterioration in my times when paddling the Marlin. It might not be the best boat if your preference is for 500m sprints but over longer distances it's fine, and very forgiving when creaks or fatigue set in.

merijnwijnen

Post by merijnwijnen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:46 pm

Interesting, about the Marlin. I paddle a Zedtech TT, that is one of the faster "Danish class" boats. Up to 6 knots I can keep up with the rest of the pack, being at at greater effort. But above that the required effort increases steeply. What I do recognise is that a more stable boat allows you a proper stroke, if you are not safe in a boat you spend way to much effort and concentration on staying upright, even if you usually do not fall in.
Another thing that heavily influences stability is seat height.Just lowering the seat, or moving to a touring seat, can stabilise a wobbly boat quiet a lot.

I am moving from a seakayaking background towards flatwater racing, with a focus on the 5000 m. And there the TT just does not cut it. Stability-wise I can handle (and race) a Tor with a two pin seat, and some of the older K1's like a Rapier. Regretfully the older boats all have insufficient room for size 11.5 feet at the end of a 1.93 m body. A Nelo classic is a no-go.
Most of the master boats require quiet a lot of weight to bring them on design draft (and stability), something that I do not have at 74 kg. And with limited loading, steering (especially on a wash) becomes a real problem.

Is there anybody here with experience in the Marsport Zeta (or its bigger brother Eta)? I am wondering how this compares stability-wise and in steering with a Tor (both in the two pin seat edition). The Eta is one of the few boats that seem to cater for the light master paddlers market.

Currently I am keeping an eye on any second hand Tors, but trying an Eta is rather tempting, though not easily done, living in the Netherlands.

Regards,

Merijn

michielv

Post by michielv » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Merijn,

I found the Vajda Accelero quite stable, even though I am not the most stable K1 paddler. To be honest, I found its stability close to that of the Civet cat and way more stable (especially with choppy waves coming from the sides) than the Nelo Vintage.

Perhaps you could give the Accelero (or even Supersonic/current models) a try? The Accelero has a high, rounded deck to give your feet plenty of room. In Holland there are more Vajda's available than the Marsport models. At least to test drive. If you are in the Rotterdam area you are always welcome to give my boat a try, the Vlietlanden near Vlaardingen are a great place to paddle too.

Cheers, Michiel

PhilipK

Post by PhilipK » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:09 pm

I agree that the Accelero is a good masters choice. There are currently two on the dba.dk website. The Eta is about the same stability you can get size 44 feet into the large version with booties but it might be tight for bigger feet. The nice thing with the Eta is it has absolutly balanced steering in a crosswind. I also tested a Roman Master which is very racy and has a nice high front deck two sizes very fast somewhat like an X-cleaver from the stability, the platform seat is apparently somewhat lower than the 2pin seat.
I`just got rid of my Vanquish copy at 55 and have picked up an Italian Cleaver which is also nice and comfortable. Sometimes it comes down to how many good training day you can get in on your revier, so don't get too ambitious. The Supersonic might be an overkill if you come form seekayaking.
Good luck Philip